[SPOILER] Everything about story mode. Pics, videos, discussion, etc.

You don't see why a talented actress might not want to play a character who has no face?

When most of that character's screentime is already spent doing acrobatics?

I'm not sure where you've been the last couple of years. Lots of movies are using CGI to make monsters, robots and other creatures that doesn't look like the actors playing them. Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Transformers, Avatar, Guardians of the Galaxy... just to mention a few.

Not to mention the several animated movies and even cartoons where the voice actors don't look like their characters. And games! Mortal Kombat X! Karen Strassman, the voice behing Kitana and Mileena, doesn't look like either of them. The ones who did the motion capturing most likely didn't either.

I really don't see the problem.

-Bi-Han mentioned by Sareena, yet no explanation?

Mortal_Kombat_Mythologies.jpg

Self explanatory.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm not sure where you've been the last couple of years. Lots of movies are using CGI to make monsters, robots and other creatures that doesn't look like the actors playing them. Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Transformers, Avatar, Guardians of the Galaxy... just to mention a few.

Not to mention the several animated movies and even cartoons where the voice actors don't look like their characters. And games! Mortal Kombat X! Karen Strassman, the voice behing Kitana and Mileena, doesn't look like either of them. The ones who did the motion capturing most likely didn't either.

1. CGI characters are way, way, way more expensive than live actors.

2. CGI characters are more difficult to film than live actors (this introduces a host of other complications, e.g. it is harder to use them for marketing of the film because many of their effects won't be done in time for trailers; "reshoots" are impossible; spontaneous improv on the set is much more difficult; a director might not have enough experience filming extensive CGI; the CGI might look shoddy)

3. Not all actors are willing to work with their faces obscured. It's not a coincidence that Peter Parker's mask either gets torn or he takes it off voluntarily in 5/5 Spider-Man film to date, that we get in-helmet shots of Tony Stark in every Iron Man/Avengers film, and that Wolverine never wears a mask. Now, you might still be able to get the actor you want if you offer enough money, or the role is juicy enough... or you might not. Do you want to take the risk?

4. The reason for the above is that it's difficult for a human (or animated character) to be dramatically expressive without their face. Fangface Mileena will always be stuck in one-dimensional mookland because we won't be able to sympathize with her. She can't smile, she can't frown, she might as well not have a mouth to emote with. MKX face Mileena? She can go in all sorts of directions as a character. Good, bad, worse, you name it. Storytelling opportunities open up to her.

5. This is all assuming an A list budget. What if it's a TV series or a webseries instead of a Hollywood blockbuster, like MK Legacy, and the budget is considerably smaller? We've already seen what happens - we get a Mileena who looks nothing like Mileena. That hurts character branding, because Mileena isn't a household name.

These might be completely non-issues to you, and some of them might never come up for the production companies involved, but you better believe that there are people at NRS whose job it is to think about this kind of stuff and make sure that all sorts of doors remain open to the franchise.

In a large budget movie yes, The danger with CGI hough is that it is expensive and without the proper funding you end up with very poor looking monsters. I dont mind CGI but I hate when it is used in inproper locations (like mileenas mouth in MK legacy)

1. CGI characters are way, way, way more expensive than live actors.

2. CGI characters are more difficult to film than live actors (this introduces a host of other complications, e.g. it is harder to use them for marketing of the film because many of their effects won't be done in time for trailers; "reshoots" are impossible; spontaneous improv on the set is much more difficult; a director might not have enough experience filming extensive CGI; the CGI might look shoddy)

3. Not all actors are willing to work with their faces obscured. It's not a coincidence that Peter Parker's mask either gets torn or he takes it off voluntarily in 5/5 Spider-Man film to date, that we get in-helmet shots of Tony Stark in every Iron Man/Avengers film, and that Wolverine never wears a mask. Now, you might still be able to get the actor you want if you offer enough money, or the role is juicy enough... or you might not. Do you want to take the risk?

4. The reason for the above is that it's difficult for a human (or animated character) to be dramatically expressive without their face. Fangface Mileena will always be stuck in one-dimensional mookland because we won't be able to sympathize with her. She can't smile, she can't frown, she might as well not have a mouth to emote with. MKX face Mileena? She can go in all sorts of directions as a character. Good, bad, worse, you name it. Storytelling opportunities open up to her.

5. This is all assuming an A list budget. What if it's a TV series or a webseries instead of a Hollywood blockbuster, like MK Legacy, and the budget is considerably smaller? We've already seen what happens - we get a Mileena who looks nothing like Mileena. That hurts character branding, because Mileena isn't a household name.

These might be completely non-issues to you, and some of them might never come up for the production companies involved, but you better believe that there are people at NRS whose job it is to think about this kind of stuff and make sure that all sorts of doors remain open to the franchise.

You're right, I don't consider any of these points an excuse not to have monstrous characters in the game.

In a large budget movie yes, The danger with CGI hough is that it is expensive and without the proper funding you end up with very poor looking monsters. I dont mind CGI but I hate when it is used in inproper locations (like mileenas mouth in MK legacy)

It's funny, because peewee talks about Hollywood blockbusters, not low-budget movies.

Last edited:
You're right, I don't consider any of these points an excuse not to have monstrous characters in the game.

I'm not telling you you're wrong. I'm explaining why this isn't likely to change any time soon. You're free to make your peace with that or think that NRS is making a huge mistake or that I don't know what I'm talking about. Their decision makes business sense to me, and in their shoes I'd make the same one.

I'm not telling you you're wrong. I'm explaining why this isn't likely to change any time soon. You're free to make your peace with that or think that NRS is making a huge mistake or that I don't know what I'm talking about. Their decision makes business sense to me, and in their shoes I'd make the same one.

I do get what you're saying. I just think it's a cheap excuse IF that is the case. None of us knows if that's actually the reason why they've made all characters look so humanoid. It's assumptions.

The thing from the new Fantastic four, Roccet raccoon, Groot, The Hulk (for the most part) Mystique? I think? Tons of Cgi characters played by big time actors, and even good "B-list" actors, such as the thing. All they will get is a B-list actress to play Mileena if they do, so don't think they will mind being Cgi.

Even tho i dont hate the ending to mkx and that I find DE Liu and Kitana to be pretty cool isnt it a little strange that they ended the new story with an evil liu kang and Dark raiden.... both concepts that have been done already

Even tho i dont hate the ending to mkx and that I find DE Liu and Kitana to be pretty cool isnt it a little strange that they ended the new story with an evil liu kang and Dark raiden.... both concepts that have been done already

I don't mind them reusing Dark Raiden; it's been done, but not well, or memorably. This is their chance to get it right.

When was Liu Kang ever evil? Zombie Liu's cameo doesn't count...

How did Johnny Cage and Sonya get so good in MK X. In 9 he couldn't even beat Ermac or Cyrax. Now he can beat down Scorpion and Sub zero at the same time.

Will Shang Tsung and Liu Kang be the new "deadly alliance"

Why would you guess the dead Shang Tsung instead of the undead Kitana standing at Liu Kang's side?

How did Johnny Cage and Sonya get so good in MK X. In 9 he couldn't even beat Ermac or Cyrax. Now he can beat down Scorpion and Sub zero at the same time.

JC's power boost is very easy to explain. Until MK9, he didn't realize the stakes and only half-assed his training (especially his green energy stuff, which he had no one to talk to about and practice with). Cue MK9, shit gets real, he meets Raiden and Kenshi, applies himself, trains with weighted armor in a chamber with a hundred times normal Earth gravity, Bob's your uncle and two years later he's unlocked all his potential as a fighter.

Sonya makes a lot less sense to me... but she beat Sub-Zero in MK9, so it's not without precedent. I don't get it, but there it is.

I don't mind them reusing Dark Raiden; it's been done, but not well, or memorably. This is their chance to get it right.

When was Liu Kang ever evil? Zombie Liu's cameo doesn't count...

no im talking about zombie liu in the original timeline their attempt to make Liu a bad guy/ or corrupt like how he is now

I haven't read the comics and I don't mind spoilers but can someone explain something to me

How the hell does Cassie Cage, human that most likely has less fighting capability and less fighting experience than majority of the cast, beat an elder god Shinnok AND a buffed Shinnok?
I was like "wait what?!"

I haven't read the comics and I don't mind spoilers but can someone explain something to me

How the hell does Cassie Cage, human that most likely has less fighting capability and less fighting experience than majority of the cast, beat an elder god Shinnok AND a buffed Shinnok?
I was like "wait what?!"

Spoiler:
xD