Prometheus (new alien movie)

ChiefThunder

Time for a thread on "Prometheus". Yes, you read it right. Prometheus is the tentative title for the first of Sir Ridley Scott's two epic Alien movies.
Loads of info (some) cool info here. I am loving the way that this is shaping up.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It turns out that Ridley Scott's recent comments that Prometheus would be a departure from the Aliens series are somewhat misleading.
An exclusive source has told us that not only are HR Giger's classic aliens in it, but that they're integral to the plot.
Mere hours after the announcement that Michael Fassbender is locked in to play an android with rumoured links to Aliens' Bishop series, our insider sources have revealed that he's not the only one with strong links to the series' past.
This is back too...."They’ve built the ‘space jockey’ ****pit at Pinewood as seen in the original Alien film, so it definitely takes place in the same world as Alien", they told us.

"Despite that press release that seemed to indicate there were no aliens in the movie, the familiar HR Giger-style aliens do appear. Big ones apparently."
And as for Scott's comments noting that "keen fans will recognise strands of Alien's DNA"?
It turns out there was the slightest hint of misdirection - apparently the actual DNA of the xenomorphs is integral to the plot - and will see the cast jet off to the alien homeworld itself.
"Part of the film will be shot in Morocco. I’ve heard that some sort of archaeological dig where they discover alien DNA takes place there and that DNA gives them the coordinates for an alien world. I’ve also heard Morocco is being used for alien planet landscapes so I’m not sure if it’s an archaeological dig on another planet," they revealed.

It gets weirder too, with Damon Lindelof's script set to crank up the sci-fi angle to maximum effect.
"The main spaceship in the film will be piloted by an enormous head which I assume will be CGI. Yep, sounds weird but I assume some of the technology will be sort of biomechanical."

http://movies.sky.com/exclusive-prometheus-plot-reveal-aliens-are-in-it

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The more we hear about Sir Ridley Scott's upcoming Alien prequels, the more our faith is restored in the franchise.
The director has revealed that the next sci-fi action film will return the Xenomorphs to their 'really really nasty' roots.
After the PG-friendly, lacklustre Alien vs Predator series, it was obvious to all that both movie monsters had lost a lot of their initial scariness.
Robert Rodriguez's Predators went some way to boosting the reputation of the dreadlocked ones, and now mercifully Scott has acknowledged that he needs to take things back to basics in his upcoming 3D prequels.
Chatting to The Independent, he revealed that not only will the plot of the first movie be set thirty years before Ripley's adventures, and revolve around the massive 'space jockey' creature discovered by the human crew in the original, but the Aliens' origins will be as ruthless as we'd hoped.
"The film will be really tough, really nasty. It's the dark side of the moon. We are talking about Gods and engineers. Engineers of space," he revealed. "And were the aliens designed as a form of biological warfare? Or biology that would go in and clean up a planet?"

http://movies.sky.com/alien/ridley-scott-alien-prequels-will-be-really-nasty

The director revealed that he's keen to sign the Swedish star of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo for his sci-fi epic.
Deadline is reporting that Noomi Rapace is Scott's first choice to play the female lead in the 3D prequels to one of the most iconic sci-fi series of all time.
Gemma Arterton, Natlie Portman, Carey Mulligan and Abbie Cornish were amongst Rapace's big name rivals, but with 20th Century Fox allegedly "heavily involved in the ultimate decision" it could still be anyone's role to nab,
Since the release of 2009's Swedish thriller, Rapace has had a rapid rise to Hollywood royalty, with a role in Sherlock Holmes 2 and rumours suggesting she could even pop up in Mission: Impossible 4.

http://movies.sky.com/girl-with-dragon-tattoo-as-aliens-new-ripley

Ridley Scott has embellished his plans for an Alien prequel.
Scott has announced he will make at least two prequels to the sci-fi classic.
The Robin Hood director told MTV that he is definitely making two films that will lead into the events of monster feature classic Alien, and which will explore the events of how the crew of the The Space Jockey (the decaying bodies of which were found by Sigourney Weaver's Ripley and co) met their messy end.

"It'll be two," said Scott. "Prequel one and two, then Alien 1."

When pressed upon the current trend of filming sequels back to back, Scott said that initially he's "just looking to get the first one out", which makes sense considering his plans to film using Avatar's game-changing 3D technology and the problems that's throwing up (for one thing, 3D doesn't deal with the dark very well, so he's having to film everything in bright light and then darken it in post-production).
Whether Scott will personally direct either is also up in the air, as initial talk suggested that Scott would hold a purely supervisory role, and hand the directorial reigns over to Carl Erik Rinsch.

http://movies.sky.com/scott-reveals-alien-prequel-plans

Charlize Theron Joins Ridley Scott's "Alien" Prequel

Charlize Theron is in final negotiations to join Noomi Rapace (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) and Michael Fassbender (Inglourious Basterds) in Ridley Scott's "Prometheus," which was originally a prequel to "Alien" but has morphed into a more original sci-fi film.

Theron will play Vickers, one of the main female characters in the movie. She beat out Angelina Jolie for the role. Rapace will be the other female lead, playing scientist Elizabeth Shaw.

Fassbender told MTV that the film definitely has ties to the "Alien" franchise. "There's action in it," he said. "But the intelligence is what struck me when I read it. It's more sort of like the original ones. There are things happening and building, and the intelligence of the first two-thirds of the film gets you ready for the action."

Scott is currently working on the script with Damon Lindelof ("Lost"), and is scheduled to hit theaters on June 8th, 2012.

Source: THR, MTV

I was bummed when I read that this was not, in fact, an "Alien" movie. Thank you for the good news. I hope they film a 3-D chestburster scene.

I actually had a "Alien Marathon" this weekend watching every single of them. Will be fun to see the story of the Space Jockey unveil. And could that giant head be Gigers classic "face" that have been used in Dark Seed?

0.jpg

This one that is

Also... Since when is ****pit a bad word? ;}

EDIT: Just read through everything.... Does this mean no alien prequel? And Screw Noomi Rapace. She's awful (True words from another swede)

Last edited:
Finally get to find out whatever the hell it was that caused the Jockey ship to crash...
Indeed. I have seen confirmed Space Jockey alien designs, and they are VERY VERY good. I will tell you this-we actually see them alive, and more than one. That's what I read. Hope that's true.

I hope they film a 3-D chestburster scene.
Sir Ridley Scott is brilliant. And the chest burster scene-the original one was amazing. I dare say that because Prometheus will be filmed in full 3D, he will take advantage of this, and film a chest burster sequence in 3D. He'd have to.

I actually had a "Alien Marathon" this weekend watching every single of them. Will be fun to see the story of the Space Jockey unveil. And could that giant head be Gigers classic "face" that have been used in Dark Seed?

0.jpg

This one that is

Also... Since when is ****pit a bad word? ;}

EDIT: Just read through everything.... Does this mean no alien prequel? And Screw Noomi Rapace. She's awful (True words from another swede)

I think the giant head is the computer in the Prometheus. Also, I think that Rapace could fit in well. I'm not a fan, but she has that hard look to her. So we'll see. Yeah, I also love the Alien movies. I have made tonnes of gifs from them too.

R rating: awesome.
Ridley Scott: awesome.
Space Jockey's: awesome.

Yep, pretty sure this movie is gonna be awesome. I have faith.

Just saw it, & thought it was great. Story, effects & actors were all tip-top. Kinda woulda preferred an Alien prequel from Scott, but that story turned to sh!t in Alien 3. I liked it.

Its not a bad film by any means. Theres alot wrong with it and somethings good with it. Im enjoying reading some of the American elitist fanboys speculation on the film. Some how some folk have decided that the negative reviews are somehow a good thing. The plot holes make for a more intelligent film apparently and the fact its sparked up debate also means it must be a good film as it challenges them.

The only redeeming thing about the film for me that it is braindead nonsense.

Its interesting reading them and the parallels that they have to the stuff on MK sites when MK9 came out. MK came out with crazy talk speculation from fans and realistic expectations before release. It comes out and alot cry " I DEMAND ULTIMATE MK9 TO FIX THE ERRORS WITH THIS GAME" theres alot of fans thinking a Directors cut is the answer to some of the problems with Prometheus and it will certainly address issues.

They are wrong, a Directors cut has been all but confirmed a few months ago, but the makers of the film know what they are doing leaving the film open, there basically saying "Give me some more money"

The film definitely is worth seeing but is disappointing in my eyes a missed opportunity at a fan service IMO