Please, no more DLC characters from future MK's

I wouldn't care if they were new characters. But ones that'll have an impact on the story in the future? Keep them away.

Think about it... The game covers two tournaments and an invasion. There must be tons of background characters they can toss in. Give them a story, give them purpose, give them a cool design and move set... But don't go crazy with it. Keep them as background characters.

Shit, they could even release three or four new combatants that tie into each other. A little side story taking place during the events of MK9. And if they're popular, drag them into a future title and stick em on the starting roster.

Lets say Shinnok is released as DLC. How is that doing any good? The power behind his character (and his role in the story) is lost. It's NOT the appropriate time to put him out there. Besides, he's a boss character. What happened to the whole "No playable bosses" thing?

Rain and Skarlet I can definitely understand. The two of them should have been in the game in the first place. Rain because he belongs there... And Skarlet would have made a fantastic secret character. I mean, Noob? Jade? Smoke? Why the hell were they the secret characters? They're part of the starting roster! Skarlet would have been perfect.

So making the two of them DLC totally makes sense. Kenshi? Well, I suppose. If it's a proper introduction. And he WAS present during the second tournament (in the retelling, at least). But there's no good reason to throw in other characters who don't belong. Save them for future titles.... It'll be so much more meaningful.

I hope these four are basically it. Anymore and they'll be overdoing it.
How do you know Shinnok will be a boss in MK10? Can you see into the future? We are in a new timeline, so they could go a totally different direction than the one taken into the future. Nothing regarding the story of MK10 has been confirmed so we can't assume anything at this point. They're not doing DLC story chapters, either, so the DLC characters will only have a character bio and arcade ending to go off of. The bios only explain their backstory, status and motives, and arcade endings aren't always canonical, giving them only the opportunity to tease their possible roles in MK10, not set anything in stone. And even if/when he is confirmed to be the main antagonist of MK10, that doesn't mean his boss self will play exactly the same as his self if he becomes DLC characters. Him being DLC could only be a way to reintroduce him for those that don't know him or don't like him, and give us fans a taste of what he might be like in MK10. As an avid story follower, with dozens of theories for what directions they'll take with the dozens of characters that could be in MK10 just off the top of my head, story relevance should not, and I emphasize not, have anything to do with choosing DLC characters.

Last edited:
^ You haven't finished story mode? Ending scene pretty much hints that Shinnok is taking over. He tells Quan Chi: "My plan worked perfectly". And then they both laugh like evil geniuses.

Yeah it's different storyline so there might be some new twist but some of it remains the same..

Last edited:
How do you know Shinnok will be a boss in MK10? Can you see into the future? We are in a new timeline, so they could go a totally different direction than the one taken into the future. Nothing regarding the story of MK10 has been confirmed so we can't assume anything at this point. They're not doing DLC story chapters, either, so the DLC characters will only have a character bio and arcade ending to go off of. The bios only explain their backstory, status and motives, and arcade endings aren't always canonical, giving them only the opportunity to tease their possible roles in MK10, not set anything in stone. And even if/when he is confirmed to be the main antagonist of MK10, that doesn't mean his boss self will play exactly the same as his self if he becomes DLC characters.

I think they made it pretty damn clear that Shinnok is going to be a big bad in the near future. And if they're smart, they'll go with that. It gives them the opportunity to redeem the character after his silly presentation in the last timeline.

And you don't get it. They're trying to bring in NEW fans with this reboot. To release Shinnok (a future boss) as DLC is just sloppy and takes away the power behind his character. Let new players discover him the PROPER way.

NRS is obviously trying to flesh the MK lore out with a more coherent form of storytelling (FINALLY). Releasing characters for no good reason other than to give players more combatants to choose from completely SHITS all over that.

I think they made it pretty damn clear that Shinnok is going to be a big bad in the near future. And if they're smart, they'll go with that. It gives them the opportunity to redeem the character after his silly presentation in the last timeline.

And you don't get it. They're trying to bring in NEW fans with this reboot. To release Shinnok (a future boss) as DLC is just sloppy and takes away the power behind his character. Let new players discover him the PROPER way.

NRS is obviously trying to flesh the MK lore out with a more coherent form of storytelling (FINALLY). Releasing characters for no good reason other than to give players more combatants to choose from completely SHITS all over that.
And how exactly did they make it clear? Please don't tell me you're referring to the cliffhanger ending in MK9; there is more than one direction they can take with that. There's a difference between being officially confirmed and actually happening. I, too, believe that Shinnok will be the main boss of MK10 along with does many other fans, and NRS will likely follow suit. But we are a ways off from anything being officially confirmed in MK10; DLC for MK9 is the focus. There are many fans who want Shinnok for DLC (along with many that don't), and NRS is probably considering doing that since Boon hinted at it in his serious DLC tweet in January and they seem to have already started creating a new model (NRS tends to cut corners in the strangest spots, so that's why making a new model for Shinnok is big for me). You might not think
Shinnok being DLC for this game is an ideal way to reintroduce him, but others feel different. It's not like he has to play the exact same way in MK10 hypothetically that he did as DLC in MK9. Shang Tsung can morph into anybody in his sub-boss form, yet his playable form can't, for example. Him being DLC is just giving us a taste of what he might be like in the next game.

And how exactly did they make it clear? Please don't tell me you're referring to the cliffhanger ending in MK9; there is more than one direction they can take with that. There's a difference between being officially confirmed and actually happening. I, too, believe that Shinnok will be the main boss of MK10 along with does many other fans, and NRS will likely follow suit. But we are a ways off from anything being officially confirmed in MK10; DLC for MK9 is the focus. There are many fans who want Shinnok for DLC (along with many that don't), and NRS is probably considering doing that since Boon hinted at it in his serious DLC tweet in January and they seem to have already started creating a new model (NRS tends to cut corners in the strangest spots, so that's why making a new model for Shinnok is big for me). You might not think
Shinnok being DLC for this game is an ideal way to reintroduce him, but others feel different. It's not like he has to play the exact same way in MK10 hypothetically that he did as DLC in MK9. Shang Tsung can morph into anybody in his sub-boss form, yet his playable form can't, for example. Him being DLC is just giving us a taste of what he might be like in the next game.

So your defense is "He may not be the boss, but probably will"?

Lets face it. He will be. If not, he'll certainly play a huge role. In which case, DLC is STILL not the best way to introduce him. DLC should be left for not-so-big characters. Like Skarlet and Rain.

As for him not playing the same between his MK9 DLC model and his MK10 model... Well, I have a problem with that. Consistency is important. It's part of the reason why I can't stand Shang Tsung. They need to take a stance and stick with it.

So your defense is "He may not be the boss, but probably will"?

Lets face it. He will be. If not, he'll certainly play a huge role. In which case, DLC is STILL not the best way to introduce him. DLC should be left for not-so-big characters. Like Skarlet and Rain.

As for him not playing the same between his MK9 DLC model and his MK10 model... Well, I have a problem with that. Consistency is important. It's part of the reason why I can't stand Shang Tsung. They need to take a stance and stick with it.
No, my argument is "Don't assume that he will be the main boss in MK10 because he was in MK4."

Tanya, Reiko and Fujin didn't even do anything significant in MK4. Fujin became the Protector of Earthrealm (and did nothing afterwards) and Tanya helped Shinnok and his Forces of Darkness invade and conquer Edenia. That's it. They would perfectly fit your stance of only new characters and "not-so-big characters" becoming DLC (which I still don't agree with but that's besides the point).

They should make new characters and put them as DLC , Like Skarlett and Tremor and others idk . But yea , they should keep the mk10 ( i guess ) characters for mk10 . And in mk10 any characters who didnt make the roster should be dlc like if Stryker didnt make the final cut ,just put him as DLC

I don't agree, NRS can still release characters now and still make them relevant to future MK games, releasing them now does not mean their storylines can change or evolve for the next games.

I seriously doubt Shinnok will be "the big bad" in MK10. A Tsung-like sub-boss perhaps, but not the final boss.

I'm thinking back to MK:A, and Shinnok's "character card" movie clip. Boon said something along the lines of "Shinnok probably shouldn't have been the final boss character of MK4". So unless the character were reworked as a fighter, I don't see him becoming a boss again.

I wanna more DLC from future characters. i wanna see 2d gameplay mechanics of Fujin, Reiko, Shinnok, Havik etc...

Never.

10char.
Make that 2 Nevers. Absolutely retarded rumor.

On topic, I disagree OP. I'd love more DLC, it adds content. So long as it doesn't ruin the story or tack-on to the plot I'm fine. Take Skarlet for instance. I love how they introduced her.

Characters that will be part of the story in MK10- No.

Characters that will have NOTHING to do with MK10= Yes.
Something like what they did with MK Deception would be pretty cool though >___>

Lets say Shinnok is released as DLC. How is that doing any good? The power behind his character (and his role in the story) is lost. It's NOT the appropriate time to put him out there. Besides, he's a boss character. What happened to the whole "No playable bosses" thing?

Rain and Skarlet I can definitely understand. The two of them should have been in the game in the first place. Rain because he belongs there... And Skarlet would have made a fantastic secret character. I mean, Noob? Jade? Smoke? Why the hell were they the secret characters? They're part of the starting roster! Skarlet would have been perfect.

So making the two of them DLC totally makes sense. Kenshi? Well, I suppose. If it's a proper introduction. And he WAS present during the second tournament (in the retelling, at least). But there's no good reason to throw in other characters who don't belong. Save them for future titles.... It'll be so much more meaningful.

I hope these four are basically it. Anymore and they'll be overdoing it.

This. Since I am a story junkie, I only want DLC characters who would make sense for the game.

As much as I'd love for Tanya or any other MK4 character as DLC, I'd want them saved for the next MK game. It seems logical to save their fighting styles and the sort for the next game. Plus I'd rather the "new-old" characters than completely all new characters for the next game.