MK9: DC Cosplay Edition / stripped content "DLC"

DeBane

Firstly, do people not notice this game is little more than an MK9 clone sans gore? The juggle happy gameplay, the mannequin-stiff animations, cookie cutter roster (despite the vast differences in the various superheroes being portrayed), drab colour palettes, Wii wand compatible L/R bumper supers et al. There's little new here other than fan service; which itself was done in MKvDCU; and we all know how that gore devoid 'MK game' went down with 'discerning' fans. Why the interest in this game? For the canned environmental interactivity? (...which will likely be snubbed by 'hardcore' players; if such a demographic even applies to a game like this). For the sausage centric roster of bromos? For the cut-scene super moves activated by mashing the bumper buttons?? =/

Secondly, the so-called "DLC" this game seems to be beset with- it's all stripped content! Surely the gaming consumer hasn't become so inured, so ingrained, so brain dead to the obvious scam that pre-released DLC is in actual fact stripped content, foisted as DLC 'extras', have they? Isn't it kind of insulting to gamers that Netherregion Studios are so shameless in their 'Capcomness'?

Given what the product looks to offer, coupled with the unabashed DLC racketeering, how does this seeming re-skin / rehash garner any hype at all? Have gamer standards drop so low?? :???:

Firstly, do people not notice this game is little more than an MK9 clone sans gore? The juggle happy gameplay, the mannequin-stiff animations, cookie cutter roster (despite the vast differences in the various superheroes being portrayed), drab colour palettes, Wii wand compatible L/R bumper supers et al. There's little new here other than fan service; which itself was done in MKvDCU; and we all know how that gore devoid 'MK game' went down with 'discerning' fans. Why the interest in this game? For the canned environmental interactivity? (...which will likely be snubbed by 'hardcore' players; if such a demographic even applies to a game like this). For the sausage centric roster of bromos? For the cut-scene super moves activated by mashing the bumper buttons?? =/

Secondly, the so-called "DLC" this game seems to be beset with- it's all stripped content! Surely the gaming consumer hasn't become so inured, so ingrained, so brain dead to the obvious scam that pre-released DLC is in actual fact stripped content, foisted as DLC 'extras', have they? Isn't it kind of insulting to gamers that Netherregion Studios are so shameless in their 'Capcomness'?

Given what the product looks to offer, coupled with the unabashed DLC racketeering, how does this seeming re-skin / rehash garner any hype at all? Have gamer standards drop so low?? :???:

First off if you care about "stripped content" when it's something aesthetic like costumes, I don't know what to tell you. Costumes affect the gameplay pretty much close to ZERO. It's just a "look" for a character. That's why no one cares. If you pre-ordered from Game-stop and got a WHOLE DIFFERENT CHARACTER, from someone at Amazon.

NOW THAT would turn some heads and piss people off.

secondly. It's not like MK9 at all. That stiff looking movement only looks that way because they use motion capture equipment so if anything it's closer to REAL movement. We're use to see things like Smashbro's/blazblue/SF where the animations just transition into eachother super quickly. Where as in Injustice, all the moves make a full body motion.

But besides that ONE similarity, I have nothing against EASY execution, like 2 button Supers. outsmarting people is what hypes me, not how well you can see frames with your eyeballs. I use to be a technical buff where every game's difficulty needs to be high for control.

But i've changed my opinion on that. What I care about are options and Injustice has more than MK9 has.

New things Injustice has that MK9 doesn't.

Real crossups
Clash system
push block
More emphasis on positional awareness
it's gonna have a light/med/heavy like most other traditional 2-D fighters. And not Mk9's dial a string system.

And these are just the top of my head. I'm sure I'm missing much more.

I really couldn't care any less.

1. It features a completely new roster. (Doesn't bother me if they re-use a few animations)
-Each with an alt. attire.
-A unique super move and unique specials.
-Unique intro and outro animations.
2. Completely new Story. (said to be longer than MK's, which was already 2 hours of cinematics)
3. S.T.A.R. Labs featuring around 240 missions.
4. New gameplay mechanics:
-New health bar system instead of rounds.
-Interactive environment objects, with characters interacting differently.
-Stage transitions, using cool animations, taking you to new areas with different interactions.
-Back to block.
-"Gimmick" button, allowing each fighter a special mechanic to use.
-Clash system, with unique dialogue.
5. Online Improvements:
-2 player Practice Mode
-Voting in KotH mode
-Player cards
-Netcode improved
6. Control options:
-MK D, F style, or SF quarter-circle style
-Negative Edge on/off
-Frame Data visible in-game
-Hot tag combos/specials for easy memory

So yeah, as a DC fan, and a fighting game fan, it's easy to see why this is worth the money.

Oh, and your "they are capcoming it up" and "pulling content out of the game to sell it as DLC". Yeah, it's called Pre-Order incentive. Almost EVERY popular game does it these days, and have for the past few years. It sucks, but that's just the way it is. Halo, Gears of War, Assassins Creed, Battlefield, COD, SSX, Uncharted...just to name a few. At the end of the day, it's just an alternate outfit. Big deal. It's not like it's actual characters or anything important.

First off if you care about "stripped content" when it's something aesthetic like costumes, I don't know what to tell you. Costumes affect the gameplay pretty much close to ZERO. It's just a "look" for a character. That's why no one cares.
Not quiet. I cannot speak for everyone, but I know I would never bother with a title whose character designs are junk. I never have and never will, irrespective of the quality of gameplay. It's why SFIII - despite having arguably the best gameplay for the franchise to date - is relatively frowned upon – its roster and character designs suck.

As for this game, Catwoman:
Her default outfit shown looks positively crap. Her Arkham City attire is locked out to [U.S.] Walmart pre-order purchasers only. This is called 'alienating the consumer'. This will cost them sales.

That aside, the point is, "DLC" of this nature is a blatant scam and reflects very poorly on video gaming consumers.

secondly. It's not like MK9 at all.
An optometrist: see one

I have nothing against EASY execution, like 2 button Supers.
Then it's apparent you do not play fighting games for skill intensive, competitive gaming; rather, fan service.
---

I really couldn't care any less.

1.[...]
1. It's roster is only 'new' cosmetically- the gameplay is effectively MK9 re-skinned.
2. Again, it's a different theme so the narrative will be different. This means nothing in fighting game terms.
3. Busywork, in a game looks a chore to endure anyway. Fight games don't need padding if they're good.
4. The new Gameplay mechanics are yet to be scrutinised. But, if canned environmental interaction is any indication, it will hardly be genre revolutionising.
5. The day Netherregion make a fighting game even remotely playable online is the day the cows come home.
6. Frame data in a game that looks like a dial-a-combo juggle fiesta is laughable. Will a 'high punch' still land on a crouching opponent, I wonder...

Almost EVERY popular game does it these days, and have for the past few years. It sucks, but that's just the way it is. Halo, Gears of War, Assassins Creed, Battlefield, COD, SSX, Uncharted...
The Taliban practice female circumcision. As such, should we all follow suit?

You guys got baited by a troll.
I bet if I came here and started fawning on this game like it was the second cumming of Christ and / or asked some inane "what DLC do you want 30 seconds after installing the game?!" drivel, I would be a 'valued contributor to the community'.

Raises the question: Who are the real trolls?

Baby girl is a troll, but she has a point. The cinematics will get old after a while. But not to the point of annoyance, they're mostly around the same length of your average SFIV Ultra..

Also yes, the game does resemble MK9. The devs themselves even said it is based off of the engine. Many people find the juggle system to be more enjoyable than SF links.

Bland color palette? You're not here to criticize, you're here to wave your tampon around. Go jerk your baby carrot to Marvel 3's rainbow extravaganza. I mean that in the most respectful and constructive way possible

I will agree though on the dlc horseshit. Used to be before when a dev made a game, they knew there could be no changes made. So they would cram as much content as they could in it. But now they just tug on their dicks all day long. They'll add whatever the hell they want and they will remove whatever the hell they want, just so they can add it later. All of these weak ass pre order incentives should have been in game unlockables. But instead, they'll likely be sold in separate packs down the road. Only way you can have a complete game at launch is by buying the game three different times from three different retailers. Now that, is bullshit. I still give mad props to Tag 2 for all of the free content patches that any other team would have charged heavy for.

Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about it. Unless we can boycott day one dlc on a scale that will actually make an impact, it will only get worse.

Baby girl is a troll, but she has a point. The cinematics will get old after a while. But not to the point of annoyance, they're mostly around the same length of your average SFIV Ultra..

Also yes, the game does resemble MK9. The devs themselves even said it is based off of the engine. Many people find the juggle system to be more enjoyable than SF links.

Bland color palette? You're not here to criticize, you're here to wave your tampon around. Go jerk your baby carrot to Marvel 3's rainbow extravaganza. I mean that in the most respectful and constructive way possible

:laugh:
You, sir, have won this thread.

I thought you were mad at first, cause they were making Injustice instead of MK10, but then you complained about the combo system in MK9, so I wasn't sure anymore.

They haven't said yet if the pre-order bonuses will be sold as DLC later on. Who knows? They might be given away for free like Namco did with Tekken Tag 2. Like it or not, DLC is now part of the gaming industry, we can only hope that the companies don't take it too far. Like CL said, they're just costumes, they won't affect the gameplay, we're not taking about different gems here. If you have issues with everything that's DLC, then you might as well stop buying new titles and go play with your retro consoles.

This game is far from being a clone of MK9.

Back to block
Stage Interactions
Health regeneration/change of weapons & fighting styles
Clash system

I don't see DeBane as a troll - at least not a negative one. He has great points in his argument even though it's flawed.

Char on DLC =/= Stripped content (See SF X Tek for true definition of stripped content)

Char outfits and flair =/= Stripped content - cloths, colors, or troll garments are not game changing (these are on disk for compatibility reasons)

The days of purchasing a game and it being complete are over - to extend the life of the game they spoon feed you the games with the bulk upfront. Map packs, new playable char, new challenges, multi-player mini games all breathe new life to the game.... Arkham city even extended their original story!!! It keeps us playing -- So if it means $60 for a new game or $5 for added gameplay to a game I already like and own it’s not that bad...right? No, it means buying things that are considered optional features...skins for my mains, or additional stages for fighting games are not going to change as much as it would for a shooter; so why bish? Well because you paid for it and its on disk... and you will have to pay again to unlock it... that's like renting a car and having to rent the keys to the trunk of the car separately -- Sure it will still drive and you can store your thing in the back seat but you don't have full use of what you paid for.

Either way I don't care - the developers put the time into this project and if it means supporting my favorite brand with a little DLC money then that's what I'm going to do.

Just looking through his post history, I can tell this guy gets off on being a giant sarcastic douche. Hasn't had one post where he wasn't in some way mocking MK, MK fans, or NRS. What a way to spend your time.

Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about it.
Fortunately, we can. We DO NOT BUY THE GAME(S). Problem solved- games producers are forced (provided they want to eat) to make games packed with content as they once did and only sell us DLC if a) the stuff is genuine content created beyond the game's main development and designed to increase game longevity, and b) the popularity of the game demands it and the content's shape reflects thus demand.

This isn't heroine we're talking about here; it's video games. Video games that are now often so shallow and devoid of substantive content that they're in the pre-owned bin within a couple of weeks of release (...no wonder the industry scapegoats the resale market as they do). The steep and immediate price drops clearly evidence thus fact. Games hold their value about as well as yoghurt on a hot window sill in summer and this clearly reflects their shallow nature.

The power is in consumers' hands to make this industry more than just a money-for-jam 'Wild West' for big businesses to make a mint off of consumer dopes.

Char on DLC =/= Stripped content (See SF X Tek for true definition of stripped content)

Char outfits and flair =/= Stripped content - cloths, colors, or troll garments are not game changing (these are on disk for compatibility reasons)
This is fundamentally incorrect.

Be it for the reason that content must be sanctioned by censors, quality control, the host format company's bureaucracy et al before it can passed on for retail release or the simple, undeniable business common sense fact that development teams are not going to congregate around an already completed project to concoct some piddle 'n crap gubbins content to fleece a few more pennies from addicted gamers — in almost every instance, content produced in a project's development cycle proper and then sold separately as so-called "DLC", "pre-order exclusives" or whatever, is ALWAYS, by very definition, 'stripped content'.

Whether or not one believes that the look / design of a video game character is trivial or not (it's not to me- I don't play games as create-a-character-esque abominations) or that substantive content can reasonably be 'thrown together' a couple of weeks after a game goes gold (wank), content that is announced prior to release and fenced off is content already paid for (referring strictly to full RRP titles), stripped and then ransomed to dim, addicted consumers.

Chill out Braveheart. Unless you're able to convince the casual consumers that the dlc practices they care nothing about are evil, then our little uproar isn't going to soften any hearts