Kotal Kahn... a relative of Shao Kahn? The Konqueror himself?

so kotal is the current emperor of outworld. pretty cool. so im guessin yea khan is the last name of whoever is the ruler.

Kahn is just a title for Emperor, it's not a last name.

Similar to Genghis Khan, in the real world.
In Mongolia, Khan = Emperor.

For example, it's like saying King George.
King wasn't his first name.
It was his title.

It seems that Kahn can be the title of the Emperor of Outworld, but Trash is right, Onaga was never called this way. He was known as "The Dragon King" and "Emperor Onaga" (even though King and Emperor have a little difference, but Shao Kahn agrees that he was, but not when he said that).

Well, but Onaga is old as hell (or maybe older!) who knows he wasn't called that way on that time. And of course this is a new change, I believe Shao Kahn was called "Kahn" as his name, but looks like it's going to change.

Now I imagine how "Shao" is called. Also I imagine him being an advisor. Dude, a guy 3m tall, brawny, with violent kombat skills, extremely high knowledge on dark magic...he sounds better as a general.

Being called The Dragon "King" is the same thing as if he was called The Dragon "Kahn."

Khan, King and Emperor are all synonymous as 1 leader or sovereign ruler of great power and rank, ruling an empire or nation of people.

I really cannot wait for this game to answer these stupid questions. If I'm being honest that German Gamepro issue had to have messed up in translation, or they're just accidentally spewing shit out that isn't true. To be fair, it happens frequently. The fact that we had Boon's tweet and that he calls himself "The Kahn" has to be signs that he is not related to Shao. Him calling himself "The Kahn" when that's his last name would be goofy as all hell. Maybe "successor to Shao" and "sun God" got crossed in translation.. Yeah, I'm reachin'. I'm just really pullin' for this dude not to be a descendant. It just wouldn't make sense. If Kahn had a child, especially a SON, do you not think he would flaunt that little bastard around? Hell, he did that for Mileena.

Yeah, that makes sense! The little difference between a King and an Emperor is the obvious Kingdom or Empire, but Outworld is for sure an Empire. Dragon Kahn is a nice explanation!

Also, it seems that the phrase "pray for the Kahn's mercy" on Raiden's video is probally solved, as he was saying something like "Pray for the Emperor's mercy".

Last edited:
I really cannot wait for this game to answer these stupid questions. If I'm being honest that German Gamepro issue had to have messed up in translation, or they're just accidentally spewing shit out that isn't true. To be fair, it happens frequently. The fact that we had Boon's tweet and that he calls himself "The Kahn" has to be signs that he is not related to Shao. Him calling himself "The Kahn" when that's his last name would be goofy as all hell. Maybe "successor to Shao" and "sun God" got crossed in translation.. Yeah, I'm reachin'. I'm just really pullin' for this dude not to be a descendant. It just wouldn't make sense. If Kahn had a child, especially a SON, do you not think he would flaunt that little bastard around? Hell, he did that for Mileena.
The closest thing Shao Kahn truly has to a child is Mileena...who should be the legal heir to Shao Kahn's throne.

Then again, the Outworld throne is not exactly known to change hands under peaceful circumstances.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

The closest thing Shao Kahn truly has to a child is Mileena...who should be the legal heir to Shao Kahn's throne.

Then again, the Outworld throne is not exactly known to change hands under peaceful circumstances.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Fully agreed. As I did when you mentioned it earlier. He's either gonna throw her out as soon as he comes in.. or we're gonna get one dead Mileena...

Maybe he'll split her in half with that giant wooden saw blade thing that he has and we'll see an alternate universe of this Baraka costume.. but ya know.. On Mileena. I'm sure it can be done tastefully :
Mkg_baraka.gif

I hope Kotal Kahn CRUSHES Mileena, offer her as sacrifice, I don't know. I really dislike that spammer teleporter (gameplay reasons, she's a remarkable character for story plot).

About Kotal Kahn, he seems to be taking over, not receiving the throne. Maybe what the translation meant to say that he will be proven to be Shao Kahn's son was Shao Kahn's successor.

If he is his son, I must watch and play the game to be convinced. I prefer him to be not related to The Konqueror now that seems the "Kahn" word is a title.

I hope Kotal Kahn CRUSHES Mileena, offer her as sacrifice, I don't know. I really dislike that spammer teleporter (gameplay reasons, she's a remarkable character for story plot).

About Kotal Kahn, he seems to be taking over, not receiving the throne. Maybe what the translation meant to say that he will be proven to be Shao Kahn's son was Shao Kahn's successor.

If he is his son, I must watch and play the game to be convinced. I prefer him to be not related to The Konqueror now that seems the "Kahn" word is a title.

Fully agreed. It adds a layer of mystique if he just kinda shows up and takes shit over. ALSO I think the new Forest stage will have something to do with Kotal Kahn. Looks like it's aztec inspired! Took this screen from the uncompressed video
9bk8pv.png

Fully agreed. It adds a layer of mystique if he just kinda shows up and takes shit over. ALSO I think the new Forest stage will have something to do with Kotal Kahn. Looks like it's aztec inspired! Took this screen from the uncompressed video
9bk8pv.png

It totally looks like the kind of deep jungle where the Aztecs used to live, even though we see little detail, but there's a statue and the trees too.

I really think Kotal Kahn IS Huitzilopochtli. So he is "younger" than Shao Kahn. If he is truly the Sun God who the Aztecs offered sacrifices, this would be a very nice connection!

I really think Kotal Kahn IS Huitzilopochtli. So he is "younger" than Shao Kahn. If he is truly the Sun God who the Aztecs offered sacrifices, this would be a very nice connection!

I've also heard some people make the connection between Kotal Kahn and Kukulkan. Sounds similar.

I've also heard some people make the connection between Kotal Kahn and Kukulkan. Sounds similar.

Yes, Quetzalcoatl (Kukulkan for Mayans) is by far the most iconic god. Kotal Kahn's helmet is no doubt a Quetzal, the bird that inspired the myth.

But Kotal Kahn resembles Huitzilopochtli not only for skin color, but the helmet (except the Quetzal, of course) and his variations are exactly the god's powers. Here is Huitzilopochtli:
Huitzilopochtli_V.png

Quetzalcoatl has many forms, but is usually the "feathered serpent".

Well he said in a official interview. I see people on Gamefaqs, Reddit and other places saying that Boon is trolling on Twitter again.