I think I can actually blame the controller sometimes.

aj327

So many times I'll be doing a move and it doesn't execute properly. I used to think it was just a lack of skill and I thought blaming the controller was just me being juvenile...until I went into training mode and saw that I was actually inputting the commands correctly - but the character did the wrong move anyway. For instance if I put Sonya into her military stance it's down, back, triangle. About 10% of the time she'll do an uppercut instead even though the screen says that I did in fact push down, back, triangle...NOT down triangle. This is the kind of thing that makes me want to throw my PS3 out the window.

Has anyone else noticed this kind of thing happening to them?

By the way, even if it is a timing thing...like I'm off by a hundreth of a second or some bull**** like that, I think it's dumb that the controller should be so much of a factor in the game. Designers should aim for simplicity when designing software for their controls so that players can focus on developing strategy, not on flawless button execution.

big negative edge / buffer window + xbox controller + online lag = terrible execution no matter how good you are.

I tried defending the xbox pad because it was okay for SSF4 and I'm used to it for most other games. But then in this game it sometimes does random jumps when I just want to press back or forward. Very frustrating.

SOOOO many times when I play Johnny cage instead of doing his shadow kick (back, forward, circle) I jump back. Maybe I'm inadvertently pushing up just the teeniest bit is all I can come up with for an explanation, but when I lose because I jump into one of Kitana's fans instead of shadow kicking her it makes me want to quit the game. I don't play online either. There are four of us that play together nearly every night when we get home from work, and nearly every night someone has a near meltdown about the moves not working. It makes the game so much less enjoyable. I've logged so many hours playing JC over the last month that there's no reason why I shouldn't get his shadow kick to work 10/10 times. Some matches I'm just jumping backwards like an idiot over and over again. Same thing happens with sub zero's slide.

I've been having these problems with Jade and Noob. Jade only seems to do her Shadow Kick when she feels like it. Sometimes with Noob, whenever I try to do an uppercut, I end up doing a Blackhole instead.

oh hell yes that happens to me with noob i HATE that. then i have to hold down and make SURE im pressing down in order to do an uppercut

I was playing offline last night using Scorpion. I did a spear, and just wanted to follow up with simple uppercut, so I held down immediately after throwing it and got ready to hit the punch button.

4 regular punches later, the uppercut came out.

yep, this game acts crazy sometimes, and , I think the Xbox controller in fact is pretty bad to play this game, specially, the D-Pad of it ..... Reptile gives his elbow dash randomly, sometimes when I try to use his combos starting with 2.

yes yes i agree... the xbox pad is pretty bad for horizontal inputs.. i whiff so many moves by jumping instead of doing a horizontal command/move...

i do like it for street fighter though...

yep, this game acts crazy sometimes, and , I think the Xbox controller in fact is pretty bad to play this game, specially, the D-Pad of it ..... Reptile gives his elbow dash randomly, sometimes when I try to use his combos starting with 2.
That's why I'm considering getting a SFIV fight pad. At least it has a better d-pad. And I don't want to spend $150 on an arcade stick.

This is why I like using my Arcade stick now. The stick has never made me jump accidentally (unless it's my fault of course).

Though today I could have sworn I was holding block, but the opponent was still able to hit me. Happened once.

yeah it has happened to me so many times before using Shang Tsung and Reptile.. random jump punches here or there.. even some regular button inputs such as, 2,2,1 D,U+4 for ground skull will for some reason do an above up skull with even popping them up and back.. just maddening i tell you!

If it works fine for other games, has anyone considered the problem may lie with NRS setting the software controller sensitivity too high causing the slightest upward nudge to initiate a jump, intending to make the fast paced gameplay feel more "responsive"?

If it works fine for other games, has anyone considered the problem may lie with NRS setting the software controller sensitivity too high causing the slightest upward nudge to initiate a jump, intending to make the fast paced gameplay feel more "responsive"?
Yeah it's definitely possible.

Like I said I use xbox pad on SSF4 and it works perfectly and I don't have any of these issues. Only with MK9 it seems so it must have something to do with their controller sensitivity.

I hope NRS are monitoring this and considering fixing this eventually. Or maybe make it an option. Players should be the ones setting the sensitivity and decide how big or small they want their negative edge window to be.

yeah the xbox controller is terrible. i bought a cheap 20 dollar gamestop xbox controller. works a little better but i wish the analog stick had a grip on it. Sometimes when i select my character online it moves over and i choose the wrong character and some b f moves come out terrible with lag

I can blame my controllers.

My wireless and new one both have a sticky analog stick, so its near impossible to do combos.

And my wired one has been chewed by a VERY naughty pitbull :mad:
So if I move it at all, it will briefly disconnect, leaving me open.

I use the wired one :rolleyes:

yeah the xbox controller is terrible. i bought a cheap 20 dollar gamestop xbox controller. works a little better but i wish the analog stick had a grip on it. Sometimes when i select my character online it moves over and i choose the wrong character and some b f moves come out terrible with lag

you just have to get used to the stick, it sucks I know, not just yours, but sticks just arent meant for fighting games.

But the XBOX d-pad = crap, I would still take the stick anyday

Oh, I see. That's why sometimes I end up doing a simple punch instead of her uppercut. Yeah, the controller I have is my cousins and he does toss it across the floor when he gets mad while playing Call of Duty online.

big negative edge / buffer window + xbox controller + online lag = terrible execution no matter how good you are.

I tried defending the xbox pad because it was okay for SSF4 and I'm used to it for most other games. But then in this game it sometimes does random jumps when I just want to press back or forward. Very frustrating.

360 dpad is the worst period, instead for a cross with 4 pins/grips inside they have only 2 pins for the stability and a cycle from the dpad to the controller this is why it jumps when you press left for ex. I manage to mod it and works little better but still bad when i push hard the buttons, only solution for me was to buy a cheap non microsoft controller with a normal cross dpad.

I don't know about the 360 but the PS3 controller isn't that great either. I went to practice mode and input back, forward a million times and every so often it would register as back, up, forward and then jump back. It's because the d-pad is all one plastic unit so pushing on the top part of the left button for instance sometimes registers as up, left. If left, right, up, down were all discrete buttons it would be WAY better.

Same problem here. Even with the transforming d-pad. I decided to buy a stick and got the HRAP VX SA. The stick is WAY more precise and button inputs are also much faster. My only problem is the joystick seems slower than a d-pad. Especially when dashing. Logically it would be slower because it has a greater distance to travel to register moves. I know there's a learning curve, but I don't know if it's possible to be as fast with a stick then with a pad.