Cars - Post your favorites!

2013-Volkswagen-Beetle-TDI-front-three-quarter.jpg

2013-volkswagen-beetle-tdi_100380315_m.jpg

:love:

I love how they changed the look so you can't be called a girl anymore for loving the beetle.

I liked the old one anyway :secret:

So disregard all my previous posts about my next car. I purchased a car that Past-Jinko completely forgot about.

Welcome to the family, Mazda RX-8.
IMG_0171.JPG

Just waiting for the bank to check if the car is legit, then its all mine!

Tentative congrats! Looks clean. I'm not very partial to the RX-8. It isn't as good as the car as it replaced, IMO. It's very nice handling though, so I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Rotaries are fun. Just...carry some oil with you at all times. They consume oil like none other and get terrible gas mileage.

If I were to get a Mazda, it would definitely be an RX-7 FD3S Efini. They can be had on the importation market for about 5-6k used with ~60-70k km on the odo.

This is my baby right now :

99 'manual' Wolfsburg Jetta
2999954078t_1x424x360f_1999_volkswagen_jetta

(Same color and everything as this one)

She's fast enough and feels good enough through turns. Only problem is.. Speedo and Tacho don't work... :C

I'm hoping to get this kinda Impreza after a few years of work
5103950072_large.jpg

I've been driving standard for a couple'a weeks now. The only problems I have are uphill starts. If anyone could gimme some pointers it'd be greatly appreciated. I'm always afraid I'm gonna roll back into the car behind me when I'm at a light on a hill. It honestly makes me have a mini panic attack. Everyone in Cali likes to be directly behind you at a light and you don't have much room for forgiveness on hills... So what do I do? The Ebrake method ain't gonna work on my car, either.. the Ebrake is kinda screwy on my jetta.. So what do you suggest?

I've been driving standard for a couple'a weeks now. The only problems I have are uphill starts. If anyone could gimme some pointers it'd be greatly appreciated. I'm always afraid I'm gonna roll back into the car behind me when I'm at a light on a hill. It honestly makes me have a mini panic attack. Everyone in Cali likes to be directly behind you at a light and you don't have much room for forgiveness on hills... So what do I do? The Ebrake method ain't gonna work on my car, either.. the Ebrake is kinda screwy on my jetta.. So what do you suggest?

Practice switching fast from brake to gas on smaller hills, and have your foot ready on the clutch, to get the hang of it.
It's the way that I first learned.

When I graduated highschool (2000), I got an accounting job at a law firm, and had purchased a manual '98 Chevy S10 pick-up (which I modded later).
I had to practice every day getting that truck into the parking garage.
I got used to (with my foot ready on the clutch) letting go of the brake, giving it a little bit more gas and releasing the clutch.
By giving it a little bit more gas, instead of evenly balancing between gas and clutch, I would get the truck up the ramp without having roll-back.
It took a little practice, but by the 3rd day, I had gotten used to it.

^That's a recipe for a novice to burn the clutch, no offense (extra gas when it's not needed). Clutch control is (virtually always) more important than the amount of throttle input.

If you absolutely cannot abide by using the e-brake (which is how I taught my fiancee to do hill starts, and she's mastered it now and has only been driving standard for not even two weeks), then the most surefire way is getting your timing correct from the release of the brake to penduluming out the clutch and applying gas. You should be letting out the clutch simultaneously as you release the footbrake and apply gas.

If your e-brake is screwy, I'd suggest getting it looked at. I think the foot-brake method for hillstarts is somewhat unreliable unless you've got good footwork, which since you're just starting, you don't have.

Find a parking lot that's inclined and have at it.

^That's a recipe for a novice to burn the clutch, no offense (extra gas when it's not needed). Clutch control is (virtually always) more important than the amount of throttle input.

That's why I said to give it a little bit more gas. :)
Meaning giving it some gas while letting go of the clutch.
I didn't mean for him to try to floor the gas pedal as he was letting go of the clutch.
Just a little bit more gas (than when normally taking off on first gear, driving on a flat street), while the clutch is being released.
You're right though.
The e-brake should be looked at (and fixed) if you're starting off, as it is the safest way to practice going up-hill on a manual car.

Yeah, I know you didn't mean floor it. But the thing being, throttle response is generally different on a manual car with a pump clutch vs, an autobox (that deceptively cons you into thinking you're in control, lol) with a torque converter, so novice manual drivers are usually likely to apply heavier throttle than needed (or intended).

The e-brake shenanigans might well be down to something stupid like a bad line, or old fluid, or the e-brake clamp being mal-connected or the actuator arm being bent out of shape (the last can happen pretty easily on old cars, especially ones with rear drums).

Yeah, I know you didn't mean floor it. But the thing being, throttle response is generally different on a manual car with a pump clutch vs, an autobox (that deceptively cons you into thinking you're in control, lol) with a torque converter, so novice manual drivers are usually likely to apply heavier throttle than needed (or intended).

The e-brake shenanigans might well be down to something stupid like a bad line, or old fluid, or the e-brake clamp being mal-connected or the actuator arm being bent out of shape (the last can happen pretty easily on old cars, especially ones with rear drums).

Ah, Ok.
I get what you mean now. ;-)

Tentative congrats! Looks clean. I'm not very partial to the RX-8. It isn't as good as the car as it replaced, IMO. It's very nice handling though, so I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Rotaries are fun. Just...carry some oil with you at all times. They consume oil like none other and get terrible gas mileage.

I definitely read about the car before making my purchase. Lots of attention required to make the car run perfectly compared to normal piston engines.

I wanted a car that was as fast as my license would allow me (still restricted from driving turbos and V8s), fun to drive and looks great. I initially thought of the S2000, but the RX8's two extra seats made it win.

I definitely read about the car before making my purchase. Lots of attention required to make the car run perfectly compared to normal piston engines.

I wanted a car that was as fast as my license would allow me (still restricted from driving turbos and V8s), fun to drive and looks great. I initially thought of the S2000, but the RX8's two extra seats made it win.

Yeah, I can totally understand that. *nodnod* Plus, those mini suicide doors for the backseats are NUTS! Probably my favorite cosmetic feature of the car, haha. You're going to like it a lot, I think.

Even though I JUST bought a new car, I'm already thinking what I might get down the line when I'm done paying off my new Focus. Haha. Since I'll be keeping that as an everyday practical car, I'll be free to choose something totally impractical if I so desire. So, the nominees are stuff like the latest Nissan Z (will there be a new Z by then? 380? 390? 400Z? lol), Mustang GT (probably Direct Injection by then and better on gas than the current Coyote 5.0 V8 - I estimate V6 fuel economy with 450-460bhp bone stock), Mistubishi Evolution (If they haven't given it the axe, by then I estimate it'll be the Exo XI), Subaru STI, or BMW 135i/1M.

I have to say, even though it's not a 'fast' car, or an exotic, or even really a sports car (more like a family car with sporting intentions), my little Focus has definitely made it onto my list of favorite cars. I think ones with the manual box (like mine) are going to be seen as a great used buy even 10-15 years down the line. What a phenomenal little car to hoon around in. Plus, I'm getting 30+ mpg in mostly city/stop-and-go suburb driving (based off of calculating actual consumption rather than the trip computer) feels great. I'm not actually constantly worried about if I have enough gas as with my old car (which struggled to get 25 mpg in highway driving). Given clean air and no crosswinds/headwinds, this ride gets practically 40mpg on the open highway.

Color me god-damned impressed, more and more each day. Tomorrow I'm off to test drive the new Scion FR-S/Toyota 86 GT/Subaru BR-Z (all the same thing), hopefully, just to satiate my curiosity. Supposedly, it's a hit. Lightweight, rear-drive, six-speed, 200bhp, and low to the ground. Should be fun!

I soooooooo wanted the BRZ, but it wasn't out when I decided on the RX8 and it's a little out of my price range. Damn!

So I've always wanted a Dodge Challenger R/T. I'd love to have an SRT-8 but I don't want to shell out an extra $10k+. Recently I've been looking at a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT. I drive a 2006 Pontiac G6 (standard 4 cylinder) and I like the way it feels. I've been driving it for 2 years and it's my first car.

Ever since the newer Challengers have came out I've wanted one but they get awful gas mileage. But I just love the style of it and everything. Fast, looks cool and I loved the way it felt when I drove one a few months ago. But I'm broken between either getting a 2009 Challenger R/T or a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT. Both are around the same price range (on Craigslist anyways).

I'd like to get Frey's and Jinko's opinions (as well as everyone elses as well) cause they seem to know the most about cars here.

Ultimately it's obviously going to be my decision and I will be getting one of the two in the next year. I'm just torn between the two.

IMG_7347.jpg

IMG_5677.jpg

While I may know a fair bit about cars, I have no clue about American cars. They just don't have a huge international presence than Japanese cars.

With that said, it really depends on why you want either of the cars. I didn't purchase my car for fuel economy. I purchased it because I wanted a looker that handled excellently.

You seem to have driven both. Which one makes you the happiest? I'm sure with whichever car you choose, you'll be very happy with it.

And personally, I prefer the look of the challenger. Beasty. :D

While I may know a fair bit about cars, I have no clue about American cars. They just don't have a huge international presence than Japanese cars.

With that said, it really depends on why you want either of the cars. I didn't purchase my car for fuel economy. I purchased it because I wanted a looker that handled excellently.

You seem to have driven both. Which one makes you the happiest? I'm sure with whichever car you choose, you'll be very happy with it.

And personally, I prefer the look of the challenger. Beasty. :D

Ha, that's true, your car is a looker. I've like the look of it, I most likely can't drive it though, hell I can't even fit in a new Camaro. I'm too tall for them. I've [tried to] sat in 2 of them and my head always scrapes the top of the car lol.

I thought about it and I think I'm going to get the Challenger. I've been obsessed with the Challenger. The G8 to me just looks like a cool sports car but I don't think it's got that power that I'm looking for and it isn't much of a looker really. I think the only reason I look at them when I'm on the road is because I drive a down graded version of it. The Challenger has the look and catches peoples eyes, has the power and just looks mean. I really liked the feel of the Challenger when I drove it not long ago.

Yeah I think I'm going to get a Challenger, though if anyone has anything to say on the G8 still, I wouldn't mind hearing it.

My Challenger is going to be green with black stripes or black with green stripes <3. I really really want a green one.

DG011_062CL-517x344.jpg

Here is my T-Bird I had a few years ago. I kind of Miss it but it kills A LOT of gas and it had a lot of mechanical problems so we sold it. But, this gave me memories of driving.
OldTbird.jpg

After the T-Bird, my dad bought a Chevy Blazer like this for me but last year I had to sell it because it had a lot of mechanical problems and it kills A LOT of gas. This gave me memories of driving my classmates around during nursing school after clinicals. Too bad, this would've been good to drive around the mountain areas and off-road.
6358d1130954454-2001-zr2-package-chevy-blazer-4x4-blazer.jpg

This is exactly like what I'm using now. It's my aunt's car and it saves A LOT of gas.
29294132.jpg

Within a few years, I want to get this kind of car, exactly like this with maybe a few modifications to it.
Harvey's 2013-ford-mustang-la.jpg

Last edited: