About this "leave to the next game" trend

I've been saying this since the beginning. Its so stupid to save kharacters for the next game when DLC for MK9 is only to expand the experience of MK. It has NOTHING to do with the story. Any kharacter can still be used in MK10.

I'm so glad you made this cuz it's such a bad trend to me. People want characters saved for future releases but we're in the present now. It's a video game, they can make up whatever story they want. Do we really feel like sitting around and waiting for MK10 just for some new characters? I don't and I don't see who can. There's no need for MK10 until the next generation of game systems. This time they finally made the new 3D game right and we really don't need to mess with it (other than online connection). I would absolutely love an exclusive MK4 character pack and hell even a deception pack. I think they should keep making DLC regardless of what people say because most of us all are still going to buy it.

One of Boon's first tweets was something along the lines of "Who should be first, Kenshi? Rain? Shinnok?" So obviously they weren't intending on "saving" any of these characters. Plus Kenshi and Quan Chi broke the MK1-3 trend and Cyber Sub, Freddy, and Skarlet proved they can create new ones. This game is limitless, start realizing that people.

If MK10 were to be released on the 360/PS3, it would most likely be the same thing just with new characters, fatalities, or modes. Which can easily be summed up as DLC.

this coming from a guy with a shinnok avatar.

need to think of this from a seller/buyer's PoV other than your own.

Some people understand that the next game could be 10X more exciting to them if a character they have been waiting for is released in it.

some people are thinking from NRS point of view.

"WE should save some characters so if people want to play them they have to buy MK10, to be able to pick them" It's smart from a business standpoint.

I'm greedy as hell I want everything NOW. Also. But I understand the logic behind it.

If I could have a soap opera of MK where the story keeps going 30 minutes a day everyday. I'd buy FOREVER. But this is not the case. And the more you are starved for something you want, the more you're willing to put out for it.

It's everywhere...
You know how taco bell does that new stuff then takes it away? They want to starve you for that item... then bring it back. They cycle through a menu of some good sellers to keep you interested Non-stop.

And some of those "Good sellers" will be old characters you want in the game.

Last edited:
As a wise-man once said on the internet "you can never have too many ninjas." I don't know who it was, but whoever said it is absolutely right.
There are still all these colors that they can use to make more ninjas. So the options are limitless.

Anyways I say make a new MK game with just ninjas and leave all the non-ninja people out.:-D

Also I think they should save some characters for MK10 because I don't want anymore DLC characters at the moment, maybe I will change my mind after a few months. But at the moment save some characters for MK10.

I want more DLC characters, why should they be saved for the next game? only the trademarks stays the same, with 1 or 2 changes, the combos getting ALWAYS changed, fatalities are getting changed, just look at Liu Kang, Kenshi, Scorpion or Raiden), the average MK fan will buy MK 10 anyway, btw.: i don't think that MK10 will be released until mid 2013.

this coming from a guy with a shinnok avatar.

need to think of this from a seller/buyer's PoV other than your own.

Some people understand that the next game could be 10X more exciting to them if a character they have been waiting for is released in it.

some people are thinking from NRS point of view.

"WE should save some characters so if people want to play them they have to buy MK10, to be able to pick them" It's smart from a business standpoint.

I'm greedy as hell I want everything NOW. Also. But I understand the logic behind it.

If I could have a soap opera of MK where the story keeps going 30 minutes a day everyday. I'd buy FOREVER. But this is not the case. And the more you are starved for something you want, the more you're willing to put out for it.

It's everywhere...
You know how taco bell does that new stuff then takes it away? They want to starve you for that item... then bring it back. They cycle through a menu of some good sellers to keep you interested Non-stop.

And some of those "Good sellers" will be old characters you want in the game.

You forget that even if they released everysingle MK character as DLC for MK9, they could still make more and more interesting characters for the next game. And as you have said, MK9 ALREADY has the most popular characters in it. I never really saw anyone here saying they are looking forward for MK10 because they think Tanya, Shinnok, Cyber Smoke, Shujinko or whatever may be in it. Specially since most fans (I believe) expect MK10 to follow a totally different story than past MK games.

You forget that even if they released everysingle MK character as DLC for MK9, they could still make more and more interesting characters for the next game.

The thing is they couldn't. The creative well would run dry. Kenshi ended up with a projectile counter, Freddy has both a top down and ground projectile, they're already recycling moves. If they released every character then had to think up even more characters they run out of ideas, with every character becoming a copy cat. It's already happened with many in the series.

Save the characters for the next game. Keep it new and exciting. If we get it all now the ideas will be used up by the next game.

You forget that even if they released everysingle MK character as DLC for MK9, they could still make more and more interesting characters for the next game. And as you have said, MK9 ALREADY has the most popular characters in it. I never really saw anyone here saying they are looking forward for MK10 because they think Tanya, Shinnok, Cyber Smoke, Shujinko or whatever may be in it. Specially since most fans (I believe) expect MK10 to follow a totally different story than past MK games.

They could... but then all the fire of "original" characters is askewed.

Look at what happened with Rain....

It's proof that delayed introduction for highly anticipated characters outweighs NEW ones.

an anticipated character ALREADY has history. A new one has to build it.

The people don't say they look forward to MK10 because of those characters is because They thought for a while that they could get them in MK9. Hence proving my point that They don't look forward to MK10 for the new characters 100%. Since they thought they could get them NOW.

Infact there are people saying They don't even care if a MK10 is ever made. They wouldn't mind just getting DLC forever.

and as you said alot of popular characters are already in 9... why make even MORE of the popular ones in 9 so people have only to look forward to new characters that they know NOTHING about.

People love these characters because they've had like 10 games to grow an opinion about them.... MK10 new characters will only have one.

It's similar to how movies work... when you insert a sad scene of the main character losing a loved one too early... no one cries. If you let the audience fall in love witht he main character and really understand his feelings... then introduce said death of friend scene. Everyone cries. The reason for this is obviously character development.

Last edited:
The thing is they couldn't. The creative well would run dry. Kenshi ended up with a projectile counter, Freddy has both a top down and ground projectile, they're already recycling moves. If they released every character then had to think up even more characters they run out of ideas, with every character becoming a copy cat. It's already happened with many in the series.

Save the characters for the next game. Keep it new and exciting. If we get it all now the ideas will be used up by the next game.

They already done the "copy and paste" moves before the 4 DLC arrived. Just look how many guys can teleport (Rain, Sektor, Mileena, Scorpion, Raiden, Quan Chi, Cyrax, Cyber-Sub Zero or Smoke, the principle is the same, surprise attack), how many guys could "stop" the enemy (spear, ice, trance, Energy Net, it just looks different), the same goes for "projectile shields".

They already done the "copy and paste" moves before the 4 DLC arrived. Just look how many guys can teleport (Rain, Sektor, Mileena, Scorpion, Raiden, Quan Chi, Cyrax, Cyber-Sub Zero or Smoke, the principle is the same, surprise attack), how many guys could "stop" the enemy (spear, ice, trance, Energy Net, it just looks different), the same goes for "projectile shields".

Every character punches, kickes and blocks does it mean they are all copycats?

Those teleports aren't similar. I'll take Rain = Raiden as being the closest but Rain is DLC and you said before DLC so that doesn't count. Sektors BECAUSE he comes from the ground different things can knock him out of it. Mileena's teleport is from above and can be made safe via sais. Quanchi is closer's to sheevas but still way different, it's blockable. Cyrax's does damage, and is slower than raiden/rain. Smoke's is the fastest and also used as a get closer tool. Also takes the biggest punishment when blocked. Also smoke may be somewhat a faster scorpions teleport but Scorpion can combo AFTEr his teleport, smokes usually ENDS the combo. Smoke when he teleports he stops INSTANTLY at your previous/current location and falls down. Scorpion comes at you at an angle.

That's not a fair comparison.

Spear, BRINGS the enemy too you. Where as Cyrax has to CHASE you or teleport to you to make it in time. And if it's a trade... Cyrax can usually make it still by teleport. if scorpion trades he doesn't get anything out of it except probably more damage. Trance doesn't let you use specific moves while your enemy is under control. Subzero's freeze is generally most of the time a good trade can't get knocked out of it like scorpions.

However Freddy shares a low projectile (Jade/sindel) Atleast jade's EX version does something unique. In general freddy's attacks aren't that Unique... they seem to be mostly made up of just damage attacks which can be a little boring. I mean even Ermac is slightly guilty of this. Although I like his EX push. Sets up nicely for upclose pressure. his float slam mix up is pretty unique.

Those teleports aren't similar. I'll take Rain = Raiden as being the closest but Rain is DLC and you said before DLC so that doesn't count. Sektors BECAUSE he comes from the ground different things can knock him out of it. Mileena's teleport is from above and can be made safe via sais. Quanchi is closer's to sheevas but still way different, it's blockable. Cyrax's does damage, and is slower than raiden/rain. Smoke's is the fastest and also used as a get closer tool. Also takes the biggest punishment when blocked. Also smoke may be somewhat a faster scorpions teleport but Scorpion can combo AFTEr his teleport, smokes usually ENDS the combo. Smoke when he teleports he stops INSTANTLY at your previous/current location and falls down. Scorpion comes at you at an angle.

That's not a fair comparison.

Spear, BRINGS the enemy too you. Where as Cyrax has to CHASE you or teleport to you to make it in time. And if it's a trade... Cyrax can usually make it still by teleport. if scorpion trades he doesn't get anything out of it except probably more damage. Trance doesn't let you use specific moves while your enemy is under control. Subzero's freeze is generally most of the time a good trade can't get knocked out of it like scorpions.

However Freddy shares a low projectile (Jade/sindel) Atleast jade's EX version does something unique. In general freddy's attacks aren't that Unique... they seem to be mostly made up of just damage attacks which can be a little boring. I mean even Ermac is slightly guilty of this. Although I like his EX push. Sets up nicely for upclose pressure. his float slam mix up is pretty unique.

Yes, pretty nice, this is what I meant, but Im lazy to write that much hehe

I'd like a character like Mokujin. His look not his horrible gameplay, he doesnt even have a fighting style he just copies other fighters, but the tree/wood like character is IMO cool, he can have whipes and lots of original moves.

200px-Mokujin_-_CG_Art_Image_-_Tekken_6_Bloodline_Rebellion.jpg

Yes, pretty nice, this is what I meant, but Im lazy to write that much hehe

I'd like a character like Mokujin. His look not his horrible gameplay, he doesnt even have a fighting style he just copies other fighters, but the tree/wood like character is IMO cool, he can have whipes and lots of original moves.

200px-Mokujin_-_CG_Art_Image_-_Tekken_6_Bloodline_Rebellion.jpg

Perhaps his wood is made from the tree in the FOREST OF FACES?

Perhaps his wood is made from the tree in the FOREST OF FACES?

Yeah, I was thinking in a race native from the Living Forest.

But he can be a wood statue/totem made of wood from the Living Forest and Tsung/Chi can give him life or some shit like that.

My school of thought on this is, that since this game covers and re-tells events that took place during MK1 - MK3, the principle roster should roughly stick to characters that were predominant in that era (as it currently does) It's logical to assume that the next game (if there is one) would continue to tell the story during the time of MK4 onwards, in which case then it would be more appropriate to see the introduction of characters from that era in the next game.

My school of thought on this is, that since this game covers and re-tells events that took place during MK1 - MK3, the principle roster should roughly stick to characters that were predominant in that era (as it currently does) It's logical to assume that the next game (if there is one) would continue to tell the story during the time of MK4 onwards, in which case then it would be more appropriate to see the introduction of characters from that era in the next game.

Boon already stated that MK10 wont be based in MK4 since the story changed.

Yes but people who train to fight won't just VANISH. meaning alot of fighters will "still return" Sure it won't have MK4 story. But it will have the characters i'm sure.

I didn't say it would be based on MK4, but I would have thought that the next game will take place after the events of the MK3/UMK3 era, (the period of time this game covers) which is DURING the MK4 era.

Every character punches, kickes and blocks does it mean they are all copycats?

combos are getting changed in every game, for every character, they are ALWAYS different. Like i said, you could bring all characters as DLC, just take a break for about 12 or 18 months after the DLCs are finished and the fans will DEMAND MK10 from Ed Boon, maybe even sooner. I mean just look how people are already talking about MK 10, MK 9 was released in April.....

Last edited:
NRS took characters I didnt give a CRAP about from MK1-3 and made me care... if they can do that they can do it for the MK4-MKA characters. Hell I even bet they could make Hsu Hao awesome

Tbh Boon says a lot but what actually happens can be very different.

'We want a more serious Mortal Kombat, we won't have things like babalities and friendships.'
'You won't pay for content already on the disc.'
'Xbox users will get a demo.'

It's possible you're right but then again history can repeat itself.