steam console unboxing from valve!

Besides diehard Valve fans who think Steam is the end-all-be-all of video games, who exactly are Valve targeting? I mean, most people who use Steam are likely heavily invested in the PC as it is. The price range supposedly is on par if not exceeding other consoles. Also, I'm skeptical about their controller.

The controller just looks like ass; I don't care how customizable it supposedly is. Presumably there would be more conventional alternatives to that or at the very least support for other USB peripherals, though.

I am intrigued by the Steambox concept, but mostly just because I'm not intrigued by the PS4 or Xbox One and my current PC is pretty outdated. I hope something comes from this but I don't really think it will, or rather not to the extent of contending with "real" consoles.

Besides diehard Valve fans who think Steam is the end-all-be-all of video games, who exactly are Valve targeting? I mean, most people who use Steam are likely heavily invested in the PC as it is. The price range supposedly is on par if not exceeding other consoles. Also, I'm skeptical about their controller.

I was wondering the same thing.
Wouldn't most casual gaming fans (and gaming fans, in general) pick up an X1 or PS4 instead of this.
If valve is targeting a select few who do PC gaming over console gaming, how well do they expect this to sell?

Any game that would be available on the Steam Machine will also be available on the PC. Heck in the sense that machine doesn't come in standardized specs and can be upgradeable, it really isn't all that different from a PC once you get passed the controller and OS used to take advantage of the said controller. Whatever is available on the Steam Machine will also available on the PC. It doesn't really have any advantage over gaming PCs, the ease of use of consoles, nor the exclusives with either platforms.

Last edited:
Any game that would be available on the Steam Machine will also be available on the PC. Heck in the sense that machine doesn't come in a standardized specs and can upgradeable, it really isn't all that different from a PC once you get passed the controller and OS used to take advantage of the said controller. Whatever is available on the Steam Machine will also available on the PC. It doesn't really have any advantage over gaming PCs, the ease of use of consoles, nor the exclusives with either platforms.

i was considering jumping to pc gaming but if this console is similar i may in fact look into it. i admit im a noob when it comes to pc gaming so for someone like me this can be a great thing since i dont believe im the only person in the world who is new to it

I'm not even sure how the controller will work. If it's all touch-sensitive, I'll hate it. The main reason I despise playing games on smart phones and tablets is that I can't feel where the buttons are, so I sometimes need to look at the controls to orientate myself, and it's a major distraction.

I'm looking to buy a new PC since my newest is ~3 years old, but I think I'm just gonna build my own, especially since this thing seems like nothing more than a PC with a custom OS.

cad-20130930-3a879.jpg

Thankfully there are already traditional gamepads available for the PC. If it's a game that uses a point-and-click interface, I'd rather just use a mouse.

Personally, I don't like games being bound by Steam if given the choice, but there are enough drones out there who refuse to buy any game that is not Steam.

Last edited: