Page 5 of 77 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 1532

Thread: MK HD Kollection

  1. #81
    Tarkatan Warrior reptilesmile's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Age
    35
    Posts
    469
    PSN
    DoveCity187
    Thanked: 1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MK HD Kollection. Not what we hoped.

    what if it was real actors that they made cartoonish, like spiderman shattered dimentions


    that would suck

  2. #82
    Lin Kuei Assassin Eks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    2,823
    Xbox Live
    eksyte
    PSN
    eksyte
    Thanked: 103
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: MK HD Kollection. Not what we hoped.

    I always thought "HD" was solely indicative of the resolution, not the frame-rate. Even if it isn't, I'm almost certain they're gonna stick with the current/old frame-rate and I don't care because changing it would likely change the gameplay drastically.

    I DO hope the style (costumes, stages, gore, etc.) is updated, but it can be done without making it cheesy like you're suggesting. I don't really think this would require a huge budget, either.

    I guess we'll see in a month.

    Quote Originally Posted by XxJadexX View Post
    I find it interesting how someone can say it isn't what we hoped for without even playing it.
    We haven't even SEEN it. I'm pretty certain that the only things that will be changed are visuals and audio. The controls will probably remain intact, so I don't think he has anything to worry about.

    Quote Originally Posted by reptilesmile View Post
    what if it was real actors that they made cartoonish, like spiderman shattered dimentions


    that would suck
    Yes... yes it would.
    ďThe problem is that I donít know what I want.
    Itís like pornography or the perfect turd;
    I can't quite describe it, but Iíll know it when I see it.Ē
    Trevor Phillips, GTA V

  3. #83
    Black Dragon Recruit Umon Daisuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    612
    Thanked: 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MK HD Kollection. Not what we hoped.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eks View Post
    I always thought "HD" was solely indicative of the resolution, not the frame-rate. Even if it isn't, I'm almost certain they're gonna stick with the current/old frame-rate and I don't care because changing it would likely change the gameplay drastically.
    You thought correctly, because there is no such thing as HD frame rate

    The old games, and all fighting games (two excepted AFAIK) for that matter run at 60fps/Hz since controls are most responsive at that rendering rate. There is no real advantage of running a game higher than that, other than bragging right with some PC gamers who have high end rigs.

    EDIT: So, it's about 7:30PM now in Chicago... A few more hours left.
    Last edited by Umon Daisuke; 10-11-2010 at 07:26 PM.

  4. #84
    TRMK Admin, Co-founder Patrick McCarron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL USA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,951
    Twitter
    @mccarron
    Xbox Live
    McCarron
    PSN
    McCarronX
    Steam
    mccarron
    Thanked: 284
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

    Re: MK HD Kollection. Not what we hoped.

    The only thing close to HD framerate would be the 120/240Hz technology. But no need to run a game that fast as your eyes->hands don't work that fast. But you'll see 120fps games in maybe 3-5 years anyways.
    Patrick McCarron
    The Realm of Mortal Kombat Co-founder

  5. #85
    Kombatant mdsfx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    37
    Posts
    140
    Xbox Live
    md galaxy
    Thanked: 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MK HD Kollection. Not what we hoped.

    I might be exposing myself for the geek that I am, but I'm considering setting a 2am alarm...

    I'm excited about MK next year, but I'm mainly waiting for news on the HD Kollection and whether or not it's coming to 360

  6. #86
    Black Dragon Recruit Umon Daisuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    612
    Thanked: 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MK HD Kollection. Not what we hoped.

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarron View Post
    The only thing close to HD framerate would be the 120/240Hz technology. But no need to run a game that fast as your eyes->hands don't work that fast. But you'll see 120fps games in maybe 3-5 years anyways.
    Maybe but considering that 30fps is still the most common this gen, I have my doubts. It's pretty comparable to the dawn of 3D gaming in the 90's oddly enough and fighters still lead the pack with 60fps gaming. There is always that perk of opting lower for prettier visuals. To note a recent example, Insomniac ditched 60fps altogether after the last R&C because they found that most users don't care.

    In regards to those 120Hz/240Hz tech, I had one of each and they're just post processing effects to eliminate judder in 60Hz and 24p sources. They're pretty useless in the grand scheme of things since they introduce other motion artifacts, and add massive lag for gaming.

    But TV's that accept stuff over 60Hz are on the rise because of the introduction of 3D tech.
    Last edited by Umon Daisuke; 10-11-2010 at 07:59 PM.

  7. #87
    Shaolin Monk jarvis653's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,315
    PSN
    sixfiftythree
    Thanked: 0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by XxJadexX View Post
    I find it interesting how someone can say it isn't what we hoped for without even playing it.

    There are movies out there that have had awful trailers and when you actually see the movie, it's utterly amazing. There are also movies out there that have awesome looking trailers but the movie sucks balls.

    You can't really judge it just by seeing a few clips. Play the game, take in the features, and then judge it.
    Title of the thread was just a cheap way to get some discussion going, as I haven't seen any in-depth topics on the particular things I've mentioned, and I enjoy reading everyone's opinions on it. I'm not really judging it, just voicing my doubts over it's existence.

    Quote Originally Posted by Araknyd03 View Post
    I'm looking forward to this Kollection, but if it gets delayed after the release of MK 9, then I'll wait until it reaches the $10 to $15 price range.
    It won't be delayed, the MK9 demo is the main selling point IMO

    I may be out of my league on this, but I can't imagine the amount of animation frames not being increased. Actors captured in HD not performing with the fluidity their appearance suggests, it would make the gameplay look really stiff, no? It's the movement of the characters that increases realism, just take a look at MK9.
    Last edited by Jade; 10-12-2010 at 09:37 PM.

  8. #88
    Lin Kuei Assassin Eks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    2,823
    Xbox Live
    eksyte
    PSN
    eksyte
    Thanked: 103
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: MK HD Kollection. Not what we hoped.

    Quote Originally Posted by jarvis653 View Post
    I may be out of my league on this, but I can't imagine the amount of animation frames not being increased. Actors captured in HD not performing with the fluidity their appearance suggests would make the gameplay look really stiff, no? It's the movement of the characters that increases realism, just take a look at MK9.
    Your eyes can't really detect anything over 60 frames per second, so no, it wouldn't make a difference as far as fluidity is concerned. You'd just end up with a bunch of undetectable frames. In fact, a lot of people play by frames, so adding extra frames would likely throw the gameplay off.

    I'm pretty certain the new MK (not "MK9") is running at 60FPS, too.
    ďThe problem is that I donít know what I want.
    Itís like pornography or the perfect turd;
    I can't quite describe it, but Iíll know it when I see it.Ē
    Trevor Phillips, GTA V

  9. #89
    Special Forces Agent Tim Static's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Outworld, Ohio
    Posts
    3,016
    Twitter
    @Tim_Static
    Xbox Live
    Tim Static
    PSN
    Tim_Static
    Thanked: 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MK HD Kollection. Not what we hoped.

    Quote Originally Posted by jarvis653 View Post
    It won't be delayed, the MK9 demo is the main selling point IMO
    are you serious?

    main selling point? NO. great bonus? YES.

    lmao geesh

  10. #90
    Shaolin Monk jarvis653's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,315
    PSN
    sixfiftythree
    Thanked: 0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by Eks View Post
    Your eyes can't really detect anything over 60 frames per second, so no, it wouldn't make a difference as far as fluidity is concerned. You'd just end up with a bunch of undetectable frames. In fact, a lot of people play by frames, so adding extra frames would likely throw the gameplay off.

    I'm pretty certain the new MK (not "MK9") is running at 60FPS, too.
    I've either explained myself badly or people are misunderstanding me. Again, maybe out of my league, but I'm talking about the limited amount of *different* frames the characters have in the classic games. Compare them to their modern counterparts and the difference speaks for itself, there is a realistic subtlety that the originals do not have, and *only* replacing the original amount of animation would look awkward in a HD remake.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Static View Post
    are you serious?

    main selling point? NO. great bonus? YES.

    lmao geesh
    If the product is, like I believe, not a true remake, then yes. Only longtime fans would be interested in classic, untouched MK1-3. As another selling point for them, the option of online play. For the rest of the gaming world, I don't think they'd relish the idea of old games they never had an interest in. But they would be interested in a demo of a new fighting game.
    Last edited by Jade; 10-12-2010 at 09:38 PM.

  11. #91
    Lin Kuei Assassin Eks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    2,823
    Xbox Live
    eksyte
    PSN
    eksyte
    Thanked: 103
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: MK HD Kollection. Not what we hoped.

    Quote Originally Posted by jarvis653 View Post
    I've either explained myself badly or people are misunderstanding me. Again, maybe out of my league, but I'm talking about the limited amount of *different* frames the characters have in the classic games. Compare them to their modern counterparts and the difference speaks for itself, there is a realistic subtlety that the originals do not have, and *only* replacing the original amount of animation would look awkward in a HD remake.
    Well, yeah. the newer games do have more frames of animation, but the gameplay is a lot slower. They're not gonna slow down the gameplay just to show a few frames.
    ďThe problem is that I donít know what I want.
    Itís like pornography or the perfect turd;
    I can't quite describe it, but Iíll know it when I see it.Ē
    Trevor Phillips, GTA V

  12. #92
    Shaolin Monk jarvis653's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,315
    PSN
    sixfiftythree
    Thanked: 0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: MK HD Kollection. Not what we hoped.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eks View Post
    Well, yeah. the newer games do have more frames of animation, but the gameplay is a lot slower. They're not gonna slow down the gameplay just to show a few frames.
    So you'd call MK9 slow? That difference in speed is a small price to pay for the awkwardness I imagine otherwise. Just my opinion.

  13. #93
    Lin Kuei Assassin Eks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    2,823
    Xbox Live
    eksyte
    PSN
    eksyte
    Thanked: 103
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: MK HD Kollection. Not what we hoped.

    Quote Originally Posted by jarvis653 View Post
    So you'd call MK9 slow? That difference in speed is a small price to pay for the awkwardness I imagine otherwise. Just my opinion.
    Compared to MKII and UMK3, it's notably slower, animation-wise. MK looks to be faster than its 3D predecessors, but it's still not as fast as the old-school 2D games.
    ďThe problem is that I donít know what I want.
    Itís like pornography or the perfect turd;
    I can't quite describe it, but Iíll know it when I see it.Ē
    Trevor Phillips, GTA V

  14. #94
    Shaolin Monk jarvis653's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,315
    PSN
    sixfiftythree
    Thanked: 0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: MK HD Kollection. Not what we hoped.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eks View Post
    Compared to MKII and UMK3, it's notably slower, animation-wise. MK looks to be faster than its 3D predecessors, but it's still not as fast as the old-school 2D games.
    That's true, but compared to the overall quality of the new MK, that one aspect doesn't hold a candle.

  15. #95
    Lin Kuei Assassin Eks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    2,823
    Xbox Live
    eksyte
    PSN
    eksyte
    Thanked: 103
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: MK HD Kollection. Not what we hoped.

    Quote Originally Posted by jarvis653 View Post
    That's true, but compared to the overall quality of the new MK, that one aspect doesn't hold a candle.
    I'll take the fast gameplay of the 2D games over fluid animation of the newer games ANY DAY.
    ďThe problem is that I donít know what I want.
    Itís like pornography or the perfect turd;
    I can't quite describe it, but Iíll know it when I see it.Ē
    Trevor Phillips, GTA V

  16. #96
    Shaolin Monk jarvis653's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,315
    PSN
    sixfiftythree
    Thanked: 0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: MK HD Kollection. Not what we hoped.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eks View Post
    I'll take the fast gameplay of the 2D games over fluid animation of the newer games ANY DAY.
    So you have no appreciation of the graphics and all other modern updates? Well, that's your preference, but I for one can't understand why besides nostalgia.

  17. #97
    Black Dragon Recruit Umon Daisuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    612
    Thanked: 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MK HD Kollection. Not what we hoped.

    I don't know, MKII isn't exactly fast, perhaps compared to MK1 and that's about it.

  18. #98
    Lin Kuei Assassin Eks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    2,823
    Xbox Live
    eksyte
    PSN
    eksyte
    Thanked: 103
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: MK HD Kollection. Not what we hoped.

    Quote Originally Posted by jarvis653 View Post
    So you have no appreciation of the graphics and all other modern updates? Well, that's your preference, but I for one can't understand why besides nostalgia.
    Never said that. I have plenty of appreciation for modern updates, but when modernizing a game kills the gameplay (which is the biggest "fun factor" for me), I'll take the old stuff. It's not nostalgia; it's that I prefer faster over pretty.

    Quote Originally Posted by Umon Daisuke View Post
    I don't know, MKII isn't exactly fast, perhaps compared to MK1 and that's about it.
    Even MKII seems faster than MK(2011) in the animation dept. A lot of the animations in MK are remnants of MKvDCU, and it seems like more frames than in MKII. I haven't made a deliberate comparison, so I could be wrong. I don't really play MKII, so I have no interest in finding out.
    ďThe problem is that I donít know what I want.
    Itís like pornography or the perfect turd;
    I can't quite describe it, but Iíll know it when I see it.Ē
    Trevor Phillips, GTA V

  19. #99
    Black Dragon Recruit Umon Daisuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    612
    Thanked: 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MK HD Kollection. Not what we hoped.

    Yeah, trust me, MKII just seems jerky, not fast compared to the new game. High level UMK3 is, and the PS1/PC versions of MK4.

    Quote Originally Posted by jarvis653 View Post
    So you have no appreciation of the graphics and all other modern updates? Well, that's your preference, but I for one can't understand why besides nostalgia.
    The gameplay, plain and simple. Sure, there were tech limitations that made the games what they are to an extent, but some do prefer them to the newer stuff by a mile.

    It's true of other franchises too, not just MK. Take Tekken for example. Infinite fields and the 3D movement was hindered by the tech back then, and the new games surpassed them (infinites are still optional). Some fans still prefer 1999's (2000 on PS2) Tekken TT. Hell, I prefer the arcade version, and it was essentially a PS1 game. The movement, hit boxes, juggle properties, no 'crush' system, just feel great.

  20. #100
    Shaolin Monk jarvis653's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,315
    PSN
    sixfiftythree
    Thanked: 0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: MK HD Kollection. Not what we hoped.

    So you guys both have a problem with MK9's speed? Personally I couldn't be happier about the game, it's struck the perfect balance between graphics and gameplay. From what I've seen anyway. I'm not questioning anyone's enthusiasm, but there are faster games out there, and realism has always been a core element of the MK series. It's why they used digitized actors in the first place, what made them stand out and a big part of why I and many others loved those games. Even when they moved to 3D, I assume it was to immerse the player more in the fight, make it more life-like. Even if it had questionable results. That goal for realism is still evident in MK9.

Page 5 of 77 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. McCarron's MK Port Kollection
    By Patrick McCarron in forum Mortal Kombat General Discussion
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 07-19-2012, 03:46 AM
  2. Any new discoverys for the HD Kollection????
    By Subpion in forum Mortal Kombat (2011) Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-09-2011, 08:19 AM
  3. Mortal kombat kollection
    By xrodney in forum Mortal Kombat General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-15-2010, 04:24 PM
  4. MK UK Fans - Need game for my Kollection
    By Patrick McCarron in forum Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-25-2010, 05:27 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •