Ed Boon Gamespot interview: Tremor in because of fans demand

I tried posting earlier, unfortunately I was having some technical issues.

To be completely honest, and I know I might receive some hate, I don't get why Tremor is special. I really don't. I have had plenty of fans of his explain to me why he deserves to be in fighting games and such, however, their reasonings can also be said towards the other adventure debuting characters. I see Tasia having more of a possibility to be in this game based on her comic appearance alone, whereas Tremor has yet to show his face in a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g... (Excluding his minor appearance in a challenge tower for the PS vita)
I know a handful of characters that could easily get a huge amount of fans to do the same exact thing they've done for Tremor and I'm sure the developers could do a thing or two about it.

Boon really didn't answer my question as to why Tremor got the lucky end of the stick. Forgive me if I sound "salty" on this, I've admitted in the past that I am not a fan of this character at all. However, I'm always up in giving a character a chance to win me over, so if I see a gameplay on him in the future and I do enjoy what I see, of course I will cave in and give Netherrealm more of my money. But for right now, I am not a fan.

Ninja + Earth + Rock.

That's pretty much everything you need to know, and it's better than anything Tasia or No Face could be.

Even if you take the ninja factor out of the picture he would still be an awesome and original character.

Everybody wants Fujin. Even if you didn't want, after yesterday's video, I can't believe someone couldn't want.

Haha! I don't need Fujin to be playable, just his being in the story is enough for me. I find wind moves unappealingly un-physical in a fighting game.

I'd be happy if he was unlockable, though, because it would make everyone else's day/week/month.

Haha! I don't need Fujin to be playable, just his being in the story is enough for me. I find wind moves unappealingly un-physical in a fighting game.

I'd be happy if he was unlockable, though, because it would make everyone else's day/week/month.

Yessssss, exactly! I would be happy for this exact reason. Besides the fact that he needs a proper care. Shinnok was **** (gameplay, of course) and now he is badass on any level, Fujin should have some love too.

Since Midway times that he matters nothing.

The problem about wind moves is that they look a bit cartoonish.

You can represent TK in a visible way because it's a fictional thing but wind is something real if you make it visible it looks stupid and unrealistic, I'd like Fujin to be playable but I don't know how NRS can pull this off in a way that it doesn't look corny or lame.

NRS made a dumb choice. Why Tremor..? Fujin would be a better choice than Tremor.

better choice than all the DLC characters. Fujin is way cooler than Tremor, Tanya and those guest. So i really hope he is on the main roster because if he isnt that is just laughable.

The problem about wind moves is that they look a bit cartoonish.

You can represent TK in a visible way because it's a fictional thing but wind is something real if you make it visible it looks stupid and unrealistic, I'd like Fujin to be playable but I don't know how NRS can pull this off in a way that it doesn't look corny or lame.

Doesn't Kitana have a wind move in MKX with her fans?
Doesn't look that cartoonish / stupid / unrealistic, IMO.

Plus, wind moves can't look anymore "cartoonish" than a bug lady who uses bug secretion to lift you up, and D'Vorah looks pretty awesome, IMO.

Ninja + Earth + Rock.

That's pretty much everything you need to know, and it's better than anything Tasia or No Face could be.

Even if you take the ninja factor out of the picture he would still be an awesome and original character.
Ah ah ah I am pretty sure at least 90% of people, you included, like him precisely because he is a "ninja". If he wasn't designed that way, I highly doubt anyone would give a crap about him at all. Just being honest here. The element of Earth is more of a gimmick to make him "unique" quite honestly. Ee already had a Earth-based God in Mythologies too, but his design sucked sooo there's that too.

Ah ah ah I am pretty sure at least 90% of the people, you included, like him precisely because he is a "ninja". If he wasn't designed that way, I highly doubt anyone would give a crap about him at all. Just being honest here.

I must be part of that 10%, then, because the main appeal that Tremor has had for me = Earth-based moves and a former Lin Kuei member who leaves said faction to join the Black Dragon.
I've even pointed out COUNTLESS times that I've wanted him to be more of a nomad / wanderer than a "ninja."
"Ninja" / palette swap characters in MK are so 1990s.
Even Reptile and Ermac no longer look like "ninjas" in MKX.

i dont get the fujin hype.
like most MK4 characters he leaves a lot to be desired in terms of gameplay.

dont get me wrong its still possible they can make him great because a wind character sounds cool but i cant help visioning his moves just being like kung laos and kitanas

so im interested to hear what fujin fans are expecting the character to do gameplay wise to be unique......?

Last edited:
i dont get the fujin hype.
like most MK4 characters he leaves a lot to be desired in terms of originality and gameplay.

dont get me wrong its still possible they can make him great because a wind character sounds cool but i cant help visioning his moves just being like kung laos and kitanas

so im interested to hear what fujin fans are expecting the character to do gameplay wise to be unique

In terms of originality and gameplay, Fujin could have A LOT to offer, especially over 3 variations.

I'm also interested in how 1 or 2 moves suddenly makes a character in MKX not "unique."
Please explain.
Don't Cassie and Johnny also have 1 or 2 similar moves in MKX?
Let's not forget Takeda and Scorpion who both have similar Teleports in MKX, as well as Takeda being able to pull people forward with his whip like Scorpion does with his spear, in the "Shirai Ryu" variation.

There are lots of wind moves that NRS can come up with that can be different from the 2 moves that Kitana and Kung Lao have, which could be applied to Fujin.

I must be part of that 10%, then, because the main appeal that Tremor has had for me = Earth-based moves and a former Lin Kuei member who leaves said faction to join the Black Dragon.
I've even pointed out COUNTLESS times that I've wanted him to be more of a nomad / wanderer than a "ninja."

Yep. In fact, I don't even care about his allegiance to the Lin Kuei. If it turned out that he'd never heard of them before in this continuity, that'd be fine by me, and he'd be even less of a ninja then.

Yep. In fact, I don't even care about his allegiance to the Lin Kuei. If it turned out that he'd never heard of them before in this continuity, that'd be fine by me, and he'd be even less of a ninja then.

But..... but...... The Lin Kuei aren't "ninjas, " though.
The Shirai Ryu are the only ones in MK lore who are actually "ninjas," since they actually study the art of Ninjutsu.
Sub-Zero even says it in Mythologies " I am not a ninja. I am Lin Kuei. Scorpion was a ninja!"

But..... but...... The Lin Kuei aren't "ninjas, " though.
The Shirai Ryu are the only ones in MK lore who are actually "ninjas," since they actually study the art of Ninjutsu.
Sub-Zero even says it in Mythologies " I am not a ninja. I am Lin Kuei. Scorpion was a ninja!"

Sure, but they still share some aesthetic designs with ninjas, and they're assassins - stealthy killers. I want Tremor to be a scary, beatdown type of guy, much more interested in bashing in your face than killing you quietly.

In terms of originality and gameplay, Fujin could have A LOT to offer, especially over 3 variations.

There are lots of wind moves that NRS can come up with that can be different from the 2 moves that Kitana and Kung Lao have, which could be applied to Fujin.

ok then... lets hear it

I have always supported Tremor from the beginning. X is my wet dream come true in that regard: the pallette swaps finally have a maskless costume (some their primary). The only character I agree should look like a ninja is Scorpion and - to a extent - the Lin Kuei members. If Tremor is indeed Black Dragon, I hope he's far away from that look, even though from the trailer he does have a pseudo-MK--ninja look.

ok then... lets hear it

Fujin can have:

- A wind move that be done from the air, which bounces the player off of the floor and sets them up for a pop-up.
- A wind move that comes from behind the opponent and pushes them towards Fujin, to close the gap between him and the opponent. A good footsie tool.
- A tornado move that lifts up the opponent can also be done, which lets Fujin get in for extra hits, as a combo starter.
Cassie has the same nut punch as Johnny, so Fujin having a tornado that's a bit altered from Kitana's move shouldn't be hard for them to do.
- Fujin could have his MK4 Rising Knee move, possibly incorporated as an X-Ray in MKX or as a grapple move.
- Fujin had a crossbow in MK4, and that can be incorporated into his moves, as well.
- Perhaps Fujin could have a gust of wind type move that propels him, and allows him to get in an extra hit.

Now, I don't work for NRS, but those are just some examples, and I'm pretty sure that NRS can incorporate some other better moves than I came up with, for Fujin.
Plus, in the SOAD trailer and in The Kombat Tether brief description of the small part of Chapter 1, didn't Fujin have a bo / staff?
Why can't that also be incorporated into 1 of his variations?

At the end of the day,its all about sales. We can petiton all the kharacters we want but if the kombat pack doesn't sell to the numbers they want to make another one,then we wont get anymore DLC n thats a shame cuz so many good kharacters r left out of this great game. Id still love to see puzzle n chess kombat updated with these graphics.

Well I am a Tremor fan, and i wasn't expecting him to be in the game now matter how much i tweeted, shouted, sign etc. So upon his reveal i was very very ecstatic! I just hope after all this his character design and gameplay will give his justice and everyone will be happy with it bc if NOT voices will be heard.

But my logic about Tremor being put in a character over Fujin, is bc he a damn near a complete mystery. Fujin the God of Wind, Another Protector, Supposedly Raiden Successor and Friend! Tremor is a Lin Kuei/Black Dragon member (still never confirmed) that in the old timeline died by Jax in MKSF! This character was apparently suppose to be something but John Tobias left leaving him in Limbo.

better choice than all the DLC characters. Fujin is way cooler than Tremor, Tanya and those guest. So i really hope he is on the main roster because if he isnt that is just laughable.

He's better than the three characters but not Tanya. Tanya is the only DLC worth paying for.