Ermac Leaked Image from MK9?

I miss the Pallet swapped ninjas, I mean they did Mileena and Kitana well, and Cyrax and Sektor so why not give the ninjas the same style...or show off their creativity with these new lame designs but give us classic alternate costumes!

im with these guys, by ultimate MK3 and trilogy the charactors were all iconic without unecessary armour and whatnot, just simple effective design, all thats needs done is better detail IMO Especially people like Kano who had amazing costume in MK3 that hardly needs changed at all :)

I don't think any bosses other than Shang Tsung will be playable. They need that element of hatred, and you won't get that from bosses if you can play as them. They need to keep them locked away and unable to be played.

I agree, that was one thing I always liked about MK1 and MK2. Bosses really shouldn't be playable. They should big, bad, S.O.B.s that are insanely strong and way unbalanced (so much so that they would be unfair in standard play, thus making them NPCs). I remember wishing there was a code to play as Goro in MK1 or Kintaro in MK2. When I first saw that they were playable in Trilogy, I was ecstatic. Once I actually played the game, however, I was underwhelmed. They seemed so much better when they were unobtainable. For this game, the main boss and sub-boss(es) should definitely be unplayable.

I always hated when fighting games had unplayable characters. I think the bosses should be playable but not online.
I agree with ShawnBronald about how they should be overpowered unfair jerks, but they should still be playable. Even if it is by almost impossible means like getting a flawless every fight in arcade.

I miss the Pallet swapped ninjas, I mean they did Mileena and Kitana well, and Cyrax and Sektor so why not give the ninjas the same style...or show off their creativity with these new lame designs but give us classic alternate costumes!

yea MK was simple back then and THATS why it was great. All these gimmicks and other bullshit has killed the serious. Sure its on the up and up, but if MK9 sucks, i still have the 15-20 year old games to play.

Meh, I could do without palette swaps and playable boss characters. Palette swaps were a necessity back then due to the memory and technology limitations, but now there would be no excuse aside from laziness. I like the ninjas to look different, you have Sub-Zero and Scorpion being the "Ryu and Ken" and allow Reptile, Ermac, and Rain to look different at least. Ermac looks like a collection of souls (like he should), Reptile looks, well, reptilian, and Rain looks like an assassin-prince (at least from Armageddon). Same with Kitana and Mileena, Kitana should look like a princess and Mileena should look like a bad, more evil imitation. If they were just mere palette swaps they would look ridiculous and not like individual characters. So I like the direction the characters are in now : )

As for Ermac's look, I loved his Deception/Armageddon look, I wouldn't change it too much.

Playable boss characters are pretty much overrated. They are overpowered and not very fun to play. I'll keep them unplayable, they're better that way.

I don't want palette swaps simply because we're beyond that. I see no reason that they can't have each ninja (male, female, and cybernetic) look recognizably different and still look like a ninja. A little armor is fine, especially since they could easily use Kevlar-ish armor since it's light and pliable... but jewelry? NO.

Also, I don't wanna see the distracting sashes and shit, either.

There have been a lot of interviews with the MK team where they said that alternate costumes are definitely in the game, so it's very likely that the basic pallete swap orginal costumes will be included for the original 3 ninjas. So no need to worry, unless we see otherwise.

I also wouldn't mind at all if there were no playable bosses in MK9 if they want to keep it balanced. But if any boss should be playable as DLC, I would pick Goro.

You know, I've always wanted to see a very simple sub zero design, even more so than MK1. I always imagined a full black leather body suit with a cloth face mask tied around his head and maybe an actual blue gi top with no sleeves and perhaps shin armor and forearm armor. I mean, the ninjas should all look a little different for sure, but they should also look like ninjas. Ninjas are utilitarian. They wear just enough clothing to get their mission completed.

I also like the black parts of scorpion's costume and wish they had simplified the yellow parts. His black suit is sweet looking. It would have looked even cooler if the yellow parts reflected more of a MK1 look.

The Palette swapped characters never bugged me as long as they played differently. But i did always always always want to play as Goro. He was just so bad ass. then I finally got to play as him in 4 and trilogy which were horrible representations and in Armageddon (didn't have the GC version of deception) again i was very under whelmed. I think he looks awesome and hope he is in the game, i especially like the paldron on his right shoulder, partially obscured by his hand, definately looks like an update to me. As for Ermacs generic and uninspired looking costume, do cyrax and sektor really look so updated? Personally i can't wait to see what they do with Baraka and any kind of alternate costumes they have up their sleeves. not to mention the possibilities of tag team fatalities brought up during the jax reveal has me very excited. Wonder if they'll be any new never before seen characters...

I'll say this, I bet that they are unhappy that these images are being posted by whoever it was.

They are not being posted originally to TRMK, but being passed around the community by whoever first discovered them. We will gladly take down the posts if requested, but so far haven't heard anything.

Whoever took the photos likely should not have been taking photos at all, but defied that and did so anyways. This is also the reason we're not running a story about this on the front page, we'll wait until characters are officially announced. I believe Ed said himself in the Game Trailers piece, the final roster hasn't even been determined yet.

Sure, but they had to have known that pictures were being taken. After all, you can clearly see flash work on all images. You can't tell me that they did not known pictures were being taken. Even if they warned them... how did they get four "flash" pictures?

Exciting nonetheless.

Last edited:
yea MK was simple back then and THATS why it was great. All these gimmicks and other bullshit has killed the serious. Sure its on the up and up, but if MK9 sucks, i still have the 15-20 year old games to play.

Exactly! The palette swaps had a "rare" kinda feel to them. It reminds me when I was young and used to collect trading cards. Everyone would want the hologram which was essentially the same card but a little different. Kinda like when Reptile was playable in MK2, I know when me and my friends saw that we were like "OMG YOU CAN PICK REPTILE?!"

But like I said, I'm all for this "creativity" and giving the characters an individual personality, but don't forget their roots too much! AT LEAST give classic alternate costumes. We live in an era where consoles can have 200+ GB of storage and you're telling me you can't throw some alternate costumes in? If it's a time issue, DLC! I have the same gripe with Madden's lack of alternate jerseys lol.

The fact that UMK3 and MK2 are so easily accessible to me will be the reason I won't be too disappointed IF/WHEN MK9 sucks. I can't put any stock in the MK HD until I see something, (not doubting it's existence just worried they will butcher it) so for now the originals will remain top of my list!

it would be totally awesome for the oldshool fans if the original costumes from MK2 and 3 were available as an unlockable feature or DLC, raydens MK2 costume was great and so was Kanos and Kabals in MK3 theyd look awsome in 3D all polished up, i also prefered when Kung Lao was skinny and you could never see his face, in MK 9 hes a bit short and chunky and his face looks like a liitle boy

Never liked this look for Ermac. I wish they took the original red ninja idea and expanded upon it... Rather than just star over.

I will say that this design is better than the others (post MK:T). But it's still not a look I wish to see.

Ermac is my fav character and this new look his seems badass but i didnt liked his jewerly stuffs and shining stuffs in his chest they should i dont know make it better from the outfit from mk armageddon, with scorpion it worked making a new subzero didnt need a new one his simple outfit is the best but for ermac this simple outfit seems to weak for such a great character, i dont what u guys think but thats my thoughts...

I've seen those two photos man that's way i said that, the outfit is with too much jewels and shining things i didnt liked it at all...

looks cool but too much like his last gen look which reminded me of a mummy. they should give him a more human look. if they need to justify why he looks mortal they should just say the souls jumped into a souless body to escape the invasion until they regained their full strength or something I don't know. he just looks to much like his last iteration.

the outfit is with too much jewels and shining things i didnt liked it at all...

At least Shao Kahn pays him well. Seriously now, his costume is ok, I even like his metalic boots, but the head looks too nomadic or more like a mummy as Raijin said.