The Return of Weapons?

Would you want Weapon Kombat to return?

• HELL YES! Gimme my swords, knives, clubs, spears, etc.

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Nah, stick to the regular hand to hand stuff/weapons for fitting characters

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Damn this is hard to decide...

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

Taj Gill

Just out of curiosity, who would seriously want weapons to make a return for MK 10? I'm kinda torn on this, so I just want my fellow fanatics' opinions and views on the subject.

I wouldn't mind them returning, always fun to hack and slash your opponent, but I really wouldn't be heartbroken if they didn't return either.

Nah, I think it was good the way MK9 handled it. Where only certain characters had weapons and they were only used in strings.
That way we can avoid dumb shit like Noob Saibot's Troll Hammer.

Though I would like to see more of them. Like maybe Cyrax use his laser sword for an attack and I always thought Quan Chi looked badass with his twin broadswords.

I say yes and no. There's some characters that actually fit into using weapons. For example Baraka and Kabal. I wouldn't mind if there was a combination you had to do, like MK4, to fight with their weapons. That'd be pretty tight. But weapons for someone like Liu Kang and Johnny Cage, I prefer seeing them do hand to hand kombat.

Yes I'd love it plus each weapon should have 1 generic fatality and 1 unique fatality from each fighter (like each fighter would have his/her own way of killing the opponent with a specific weapon.

Ex: Weapon- Broadsword
Generic Fatality- Decapitation
Tanya's Unique Broadsword Fatality- She'd choke the opponent with one hand and use the sword (in the opposite hand) to stab him multiple times at the abdomen. Next, she'd toss the enemy to the floor on his face. Then, Tanya plants one foot on the victim's ass and uses the sword to decapitate the fallen loser in the process.
Sonya's Unique Broadsword Fatality- She'd stab the opponent at the chest and leave it there impaled. Then, she'd use her hands to twist the enemy's neck and rip it off (in the style of her MK4 neck break).

Something like that would be awesome.

A chainsaw would be a +!!!

I agree with BBBLP.

But I wouldn't mind aesthetically seeing more weapons brought out during strings.

I'm still really sad Sektor has a generic throw, when in the old games he had a robotic thing come out of his shoulder and threw you over him.

But I don't want weapons to be "busted out" that creates more fighting styles, and that usually means either shallower basic strings or shallower weapons. Because if you want the weapons and the basic fighting styles to be deep, well you'll basically need to create 2 whole character movesets for each character.

That's a load of production time being wasted on a mechanic that I bet most people won't even take that much of advantage of. As people will generally stick to the better style.

I love Sektor's throw. Though I would have liked to see him use his flamethrower, like a gut punch then the flame knocks you back. But the sheer primal brutality of just grabbing someone and whipping them to the ground is great for a character so cold.

I love Sektor's throw. Though I would have liked to see him use his flamethrower, like a gut punch then the flame knocks you back. But the sheer primal brutality of just grabbing someone and whipping them to the ground is great for a character so cold.

Dunno I think that mini robotic arm thing grabbing their neck as they choke then slamming them into the ground at your feet so you can do a proper wake-up bait or start pressure would be more dramatic than his MK9, grab you and throw you to the ground lol. It's a throw I'd use on my little bro lol

maybe when he grabs you with his hands, he lets out some flames to burn you as he tosses you into the ground?

I dunno anything than just grab and drop to the floor lol. He's a Cyborg, he has a much bigger capability of having a cooler throw than say Sonya or Cage.

If you are talking about multiple stances like in Deadly Alliance-Armageddon, it can okay if it's reasonably balanced this time around. In practice, it makes the task more difficult, since it multiplies the move sets needed, and developers need to be careful of not making one stance too dominant. For that reason, a universal stance/style-shifting is rarely used in fighting games.

Last edited:
I think everyone can have one stance but bonus weapons should be added in stages for everyone to use like in MK4. Those weapons can be dropped, thrown, or used to impale the victim. It can be some simple attacks such as pop ups and combo starters. They can also have generic fatalities which I think is enough.

Impale feature was one of the worth things to happen to MK. Cheapest shit that only a select few could do.
And I say leave environment interaction to Injustice

Dunno I think that mini robotic arm thing grabbing their neck as they choke then slamming them into the ground at your feet so you can do a proper wake-up bait or start pressure would be more dramatic than his MK9, grab you and throw you to the ground lol. It's a throw I'd use on my little bro lol

maybe when he grabs you with his hands, he lets out some flames to burn you as he tosses you into the ground?

I dunno anything than just grab and drop to the floor lol. He's a Cyborg, he has a much bigger capability of having a cooler throw than say Sonya or Cage.

I loved the robot arm grab from the older games. That would be obviously harder to render in a 3D game, but it would be worth it. Cyrax's MK9 throw isn't bad, but his classic toss would have been great.

Impale feature was one of the worth things to happen to MK. Cheapest shit that only a select few could do.
And I say leave environment interaction to Injustice

MK games have never been and never will be balanced. Though MK9 is considerably more balanced than the others, it's still far from being a balanced game. I didn't really mind the impale feature. I also really liked interactable enviornments. Hitting someone into the spinning spiked pillars for a one hit KO felt so great. The death traps, throwable items, and weapon pickups wouldn't be really that great on a 2D plane though.

Get impaled

Opponent continually backs up and blocks

That has nothing to with balance. That's straight up broken.

Oh, I need that block button. This is MK!!! Not SF, KOF, nor Tekken.

I think impalement should just be part of the fatalities instead since I do imagine that being a cheap advantage if it'll be like how it was in MKDA.

But environment interaction would be a big plus for MK along with stage fatalities.

The impale option was cheap as fcuk, even for MK standards.

I agree with the notion of having a weapon stance, but if you are hit with a powerful enough attack, the weapon is dropped, allowing a race to see who will claim the weapon. If your opponent picks it up, he or she has three stances, one hand to hand and two weapons. Obviously, you're just left with hand to hand. If you pick it back up, you're back to your original two stances.

I don't like any of that. MK9 was the perfect MK for me on a gameplay standpoint.
Only 2 things I would add are trading (Projectile and normals) and Cinematic Startups for the X-Ray attacks.

Seriously I think I said this before but I'll do my best to elaborate what I'd like with weapons.

The button to pick up weapons or do environmental attacks is the R2 for the Sony games (don't know what it is for the Xbox players).

Basically, I want an MK9 style of fighting but environmental weapons can be added like how MK4 weapons were that should have timers (30 seconds) and can be thrown (by pressing forward, forward, the button used to pick up the weapon) or dropped (by pressing the same button used to pick up the weapon or when timer runs out). Like who ever gets that weapon first, will have that extra stance (the environmental weapon).

There should be more weapons in the environment and if a character has an extra weapon already and pics up another environmental weapon, then the first weapon he picked up will be dropped as he takes the weapon he is presently picking up.

(Environmenmental) Weapon Fatalities:
- 1 Generic Fatality
- Character must be wielding and in the stance of that specific weapon in close range (meaning before the timer of holding the weapon runs out) to perform that fatality.
- Firearms must have at least 1 round left to do a fatality (which would mostly involve a series of melee combo attacks followed by a headshot).
* 1 Unique Fatality (Would be better but if it's time consuming for developers for their timeframe, then it doesn't need to exist.)

Types of Weapons:
- Melee (Blades, Polearms, Blunts, and etc.)
- Firearms (Pistols, Rifles, and etc. Will have limited rounds.)

If a weapon is tossed or dropped, the opponent has the advantage to use it.

Firearms that run out of ammo may still be used as melee attacks but can't be fired.

Last edited:
I pretty much agree with BBBLP on this stance (weapons).
I also thought that the way that MK9 handled it was perfect.

Also, for the love of all that is great in MK, I hope that Death Traps don't ever come back.
Death Traps, IMO, are as broken as the whole weapon impale and run away tactic.
As a mechanic in MK3 or Injustice, where you uppercut / hit your opponent into another arena / room, I'm fine with that.
In no way, though, should such a move cost you the WHOLE match, as was the case with Death Traps in MK: D.

Deathtraps in MKD and Armageddon just turned into circling matches. Waiting for the other guy to do something so you can knock him into the spikes.

And besides, MK is back to the 2d plane.
Corner combos > Death Traps

I'd be alright with the Uppercut transition, a long as it wasn't as cinematic as Injustice's shit. If I remember correctly, Ermac was the only character who could combo after an uppercut anyway.

Nothing wrong technically with death traps from a competitive standpoint.

they are no different than Soul Caliber's Ring outs.

But I'd prefer if MK9 stayed 2-D plane, not 3-D.