Rain Thread - "I am the Prince of Edenia"

Anyone else pick up safe strings/normals?

So far IMO his B+2, 1+2 string is the safest. On hit you send your opponent in a small juggle state.

And it's safe on block by providing separation.

I'm not sure about his 4,3,B+4 though. It seems iffy based on the recovery of B+4.

What have you all come up with?

Also, the buff comes at the price of having NO low starters. As well as having block disabled. I think it is quite balanced. Not to mention he doesn't have much of a wakeup game... I think there are many more factors that play in to Rain being nice and balanced, that's all

I'm not trying to be hostile. Sorry if I am coming off as that :(

When I meant that it is fast, I meant something like, 'imagine KL's spin was a low attack...' That kind of thing (course it isn't as fast as the spin, GOD FORBID!) Not in a, 'I wouldn't have enough time to cancel into a special' kind of way. Adding a low to a blockstring may make it easier to breaker out as well of b/c 6/10 times an opponent stand blocks... Not saying that that is a bad or good thing.... I wasn't exactly saying that making it a low is HORRIBLE, just saying that it isn't really a big deal that it is a high instead of a low and people are people are complaining about it for visual purposes... (not you in specific, but a lot of people have talked about that issue)

And I do agree that B+1 should be combo-able. It does seem a little incomplete. But it has a similar animation to B+2, so maybe that was the thinking behind it....

And honestly, I don't have much of a problem with a low starter with Rain because he can easily set up combos with a surprise lightning, or a bubble. And of course punishing is another big part of his combos B/C he doesn't have a low combo starter...

I just think that Rain is very fine and balanced where he is now...

You make a valid point on the damage boost. But about the 3 not being a low starter makes his rushdown feel incomplete. It's not the end of Rain though so that's okay, I guess. And b+1 being a low combo starter would add nice mix-up to his b+2, 1+2/b+2, 3 game, which would be nice. I don't like his uppercut combos for the fact that right now it's like counting cards in poker--it is a valuable skill, but I frown upon it for the fact that the rest of the cast can't do it. His Geyser Kick not being punishable on recovery isn't very fair either, but I can't complain too much because it's in Rain's favor and it's not much of a travesty.

Whatever we say though, it's up to NRS to decide what's right and wrong. I'm just making suggestions, really. For now, I'll do Rain's damage boost some justice and use it more, I guess. Good talk, sir. I'm glad I didn't get flamed:D

Last edited:
do you face skilled players? of so they could be fuzzy guarding as its possible to read the overhead especially if expecting it.

edit: also a post of my own, how do you guys manage the super kick cancel shenaniganes? (mixups, mindgames, pressure, etc) because it BREAKS my fingers on pad or stick trying to get it to work. rediculously hard imo.

Semi skilled opponents. I just played a game against a beginner and he even blocked the overhead whilst crouching. My brother also noticed this happening. I cant start a combo string consistently without this.

Semi skilled opponents. I just played a game against a beginner and he even blocked the overhead whilst crouching. My brother also noticed this happening. I cant start a combo string consistently without this.

I take it you dont play smoke? hes rushdown/anti zoning with absolutly no lows save for the universals (sweep, low pokes). the idea is to keep pressuring opponents into mistakes, this is something i believe a skilled rain player could do quite well.

it still sounds like fuzzyguarding, they see the overhead coming and press up.

so the idea of not being able to start a string without a mixup is just silliness. you just need to learn when/where to employ them.

hmm... i also play quan chi. and funnily enough i get absolutely torn apart by skilled smoke players although I can fight pretty well against the rest of the cast. For rain, I might be abusing the overhead combo but the 4,3 combo after teleport is pretty solid the recovery isnt bad. Thanks, i think i will start using pokes more to force mistakes, sound advice.

EDIT: How does throw tech-ing actaully work? is it like street fighter where you have to press the throw button to counter the opponents throw? im sure ive teched a throw using single buttons by accident.

Last edited:
Re: Rain Thread - "I am a direct descendant of Argus himself"

my go to bnb (for damage vs ease of use) is

JiP, b+2, 1+2 dash, 3,4xxlightnin dash, superkick, 4,3,b+4 34%. it works off of the b+2 mixup/mindgame shenanigans that i kinda love.

this combo also works perfectly on blocked teleports (31% without JiP, tho if you can get a njp in i think its 34% again)\

as a quick punish tho to get past fast normals, i start with 3,3xxlightning, jump in punch (in air), dash, 4,3xxwater bubble...from there i can kombo or try a block reset with a timed water bubble fall.

these kombos may not be awe inspiring damagewise, but they are easy and effective.

btw...3,3 punishes reptiles dash on block, awwww ya

i think while his damage may not be amazing (unless i can do it in a combo/reset im NEVER using that damn boost move) hes definitly good imo.

his b+2/low/overhead/superkick cancel is freaking rediculous if you start getting into the opponents head with it. and all 3 are safe on block...ya

the fact that the low does 10% damage (or was it 11%) is notable given it gives you advantage, is safe, and is fairly fast.

a well timed lightning into waterbubble is a combo from full screen

superkick is a freaking amazing special in itself with its hold, cancels, and armor on ex

ex teleport surprises the crap out of players as well. and a well timed teleport keeps the pressure on after a kombo.

hes a very effective offensive combatant, his offense just doesnt work the same way as other rushdown.

edit: and im pretty sure 3,3 is his fastest move on startup frames.

my go to bnb (for damage vs ease of use) is

JiP, b+2, 1+2 dash, 3,4xxlightnin dash, superkick, 4,3,b+4 34%. it works off of the b+2 mixup/mindgame shenanigans that i kinda love.

this combo also works perfectly on blocked teleports (31% without JiP, tho if you can get a njp in i think its 34% again)\

as a quick punish tho to get past fast normals, i start with 3,3xxlightning, jump in punch (in air), dash, 4,3xxwater bubble...from there i can kombo or try a block reset with a timed water bubble fall.

these kombos may not be awe inspiring damagewise, but they are easy and effective.

btw...3,3 punishes reptiles dash on block, awwww ya

i think while his damage may not be amazing (unless i can do it in a combo/reset im NEVER using that damn boost move) hes definitly good imo.

his b+2/low/overhead/superkick cancel is freaking rediculous if you start getting into the opponents head with it. and all 3 are safe on block...ya

the fact that the low does 10% damage (or was it 11%) is notable given it gives you advantage, is safe, and is fairly fast.

a well timed lightning into waterbubble is a combo from full screen

superkick is a freaking amazing special in itself with its hold, cancels, and armor on ex

ex teleport surprises the crap out of players as well. and a well timed teleport keeps the pressure on after a kombo.

hes a very effective offensive combatant, his offense just doesnt work the same way as other rushdown.

edit: and im pretty sure 3,3 is his fastest move on startup frames.

My bnb is usually a good

B+2,1+2 dash B+2,1+2 dash 4,3xxbubble -->combo etc...
Or I just pull a 4,3 lightning
OR 4,3 bubble uppercut dash 4,3 etc.

I generally use his block strings though. Such as 3,3 DC a roundhouse and grab.

I think his BEST tool is EX Geyser Kick. It does quite a bit of damage, it knocks them away (which allows for teleport while they are recovering and continuing the pressure) AND it has armor...

And I think that he can DEFINITELY deal out the damage. X-Ray combos that are 60% without buff, not to mention with buff....

My bnb is usually a good

B+2,1+2 dash B+2,1+2 dash 4,3xxbubble -->combo etc...
Or I just pull a 4,3 lightning
OR 4,3 bubble uppercut dash 4,3 etc.

I generally use his block strings though. Such as 3,3 DC a roundhouse and grab.

I think his BEST tool is EX Geyser Kick. It does quite a bit of damage, it knocks them away (which allows for teleport while they are recovering and continuing the pressure) AND it has armor...

And I think that he can DEFINITELY deal out the damage. X-Ray combos that are 60% without buff, not to mention with buff....

ya i know of the double b+2 1+2 and i may get more comfortable with it but atm i tend to have more consistancy with just doing it one time.

Just so you know 4,3xxlightning is both hard to hit confirm and unsafe on block. generally if you want to start off with lightning you want to either do it full screen where its "safe" or do it off of the 2,4 string which is insanely hit confirmable.

b+2 string is the only one i do that starts with a lightning as opposed to a superkick for this reason.

i never base a chars damage on his/her xrays either. but rather there meterless combo damage and to a lesser extent there metered damage (non xray)

ya i know of the double b+2 1+2 and i may get more comfortable with it but atm i tend to have more consistancy with just doing it one time.

Just so you know 4,3xxlightning is both hard to hit confirm and unsafe on block. generally if you want to start off with lightning you want to either do it full screen where its "safe" or do it off of the 2,4 string which is insanely hit confirmable.

b+2 string is the only one i do that starts with a lightning as opposed to a superkick for this reason.

i never base a chars damage on his/her xrays either. but rather there meterless combo damage and to a lesser extent there metered damage (non xray)
4,3 lightning has never been a problem for me... I don't like using lightning full-screen.... I would rather use tele or bubble to start up a combo... Lightning is generally harder to time followed by the bubble with lag so....
I don't like starting with the roundhouse kick for the purpose that I feel like it is better used at the end to elongate the combo... idk

Even w/o the xray, you can still get good 40% combos with him ;)

4,3 lightning has never been a problem for me... I don't like using lightning full-screen.... I would rather use tele or bubble to start up a combo... Lightning is generally harder to time followed by the bubble with lag so....
I don't like starting with the roundhouse kick for the purpose that I feel like it is better used at the end to elongate the combo... idk

Even w/o the xray, you can still get good 40% combos with him ;)

for me its just a case that i cant in good conciense use a unsafe string unless its as a punish.

Is the 43 or 12 interchangeable?

Yes, that why I put them like that, I did the same in the OP:

36/30%--- 4,3 / 1,2 - Water Bubble - 4,3 - Lightning - Super Kick - 4 - Geyser Kick

36% applies to the 4,3 and 30% applies to the 1,2.

New kombos.

42%
4, 3, bubble, 4, 3, superkick, 4, 3, lightning, 4, geyser

X-ray
53%
4, 3, bubble, 4, 3, superk, 4, 3, X-ray, 4, geyser.

edit:
I was just browsing over at test your might and saw a combo using the roundhouse cancel. He got a 50% one using it. I personally cannot do them, I guess I just can't get the timing and having trouble just dashing out of the roundhouse, but I thought that some of you could play around with that and post your combos.

Using that cancel seems to be a pretty good strategies for mindgames and mixups and stuffs so it may be a good idea to explore these combos.

Last edited:
Pretty late to the party, but I just got Rain today and I really like him.

I just can't figure out how are you supposed to play him. He can't really zone that well and his rushdown is average. How do you guys play him?

PS: EX Roundhouse is soooo good.

Pretty late to the party, but I just got Rain today and I really like him.

I just can't figure out how are you supposed to play him. He can't really zone that well and his rushdown is average. How do you guys play him?

PS: EX Roundhouse is soooo good.

His rushdown is great actually... And with his tele and bubble he is great anti-zoning

I am absolutely in love with Rain's super armor kick! It's a great wake-up attack against pressure and damn annoying rushers (Johnny Cage, Jax and Liu Kang).

Rain plays very differently from anybody else and I am really digging it. He's very ofensive, but not in the same vein of a true rush-down character.

My bnb is: 4, 3, lightning, roundhouse kick, 4, 3, bubble, 1, 1, aqua splash.
I am still learning Rain, there's a lot going on for him...

kombo at 4:20 is like one im working on atm..
JIP,4,3,lightning,4,3,super kick,4,3,bubble,3,4,x-ray,4,geyser kick

so yeah, pretty much just added a bubble in there with another 3,4...timing is really strict on getting that x-ray, i havnt managed it yet so im not entirely sure its possible, although i dont see why not. when i have hit the x-ray its because im a split second too late and the combo finishes after the bubble. if youre opponent wasnt quick enough to react in the half a second they have they wont block it, but i still want to see if its possible without breaking the chain.

Last edited: