Official World Cup 2014 thread

Pete Rose is banned from Baseball for a FAR lesser transgression. It's a travesty of justice if Suarez does not get the same punishment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

What bothers me about this situation is that this isn't the first time Suarez has bit an opponent, but rather the third time.

I think Suarez at the very minimum should be banned for the rest of the tourney and fined a respectable amount. I think a portion of that fine should go towards the victim. Also, the official(s) who ignored the bite marks should also be reprimanded. FIFA should also look into this case study to prevent stuff like this from happening multiple times before taking action.

As much money as they make, FIFA should know to be proactive in their endeavors, rather than reactive.

I'm not extremely knowledgeable on non-American football, and how FIFA's scope on the game is on a regional, international, and/or global level. Could Suarez be suspended (or recommended for suspension) for games that are between now and the next World Cup?

I think FIFA can be a little less harsh in their language than just throwing out a 'lifetime ban.' From what I've seen, the lifetime bans from FIFA have come match-fixing and the like. Suarez is 27, so suspending him for the rest of the World Cup, may be the end of him. If FIFA suspends him for the next World Cup as well, then it is basically a lifetime ban.

What bothers me about this situation is that this isn't the first time Suarez has bit an opponent, but rather the third time.

I think Suarez at the very minimum should be banned for the rest of the tourney and fined a respectable amount. I think a portion of that fine should go towards the victim. Also, the official(s) who ignored the bite marks should also be reprimanded. FIFA should also look into this case study to prevent stuff like this from happening multiple times before taking action.

As much money as they make, FIFA should know to be proactive in their endeavors, rather than reactive.
I agree [MENTION=7166]protestedhero[/MENTION] think its an absolute disgrace how he could go that far like pushing someone you might understand but going as far as biting someone is completely freakish and the fact that its his third time means his learned nothing from before.
I think its such a shame because he is such a great player but theres no nead for that kind of behavior what so ever. [MENTION=12345]Tarkatan Trash[/MENTION] I could not see FIFA taking that type of action against him not that he does not deserve it but last time he bit Ivanovic he just got banned 10 games and £40,000 ban which is nothing taking in to account he makes 10 million a year. Football is far to leniant unfortunately.

Its been a great tournement so far and there is no need for that I think he should be suspended from all football for at least a year & docked his salary, FIFA need to clamp down on this sort of carry on!!!!

[MENTION=10204]Substitute Zero[/MENTION]: The fact that he is a repeat offender warrants a lifetime ban. And does FIFA have any jurisdiction over professional leagues, or just over international play?

If Eric Cantona got a 9 month ban for that Kung Fu kick on a fan, then a three time offender like Suarez should get that at the bare minimum. Not to mention the racism row with Patrice Evra. Knowing the recent trend of Football punishments these days, he probably will get less than 6 months. I'm also not sure if a ban from FIFA means a ban from Club Competitions as well.

Sidenote: Totally glad Arsenal did not pursue him further.

I'm trying to remember what penalty Mike Tyson got for the infamous bite on Evander Holyfield...That was the first thing that came to mind when I heard about this.

[MENTION=10204]Substitute Zero[/MENTION]: The fact that he is a repeat offender warrants a lifetime ban. And does FIFA have any jurisdiction over professional leagues, or just over international play?

I remember FIFA took action against Mark Viduka back in 2004 for refusing to play for his country in a friendly & he was suspended for playing for Leeds when they used to be in the Premier League.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/02/20/1077072847887.html?from=storyrhs
Same should apply here!!!!!!

The Nevada State Athletic Commission fined him $3 million of his $30 million purse, and suspended his license. State commissions follow suspensions of their peers, so that left Tyson without a place to box in the US. His license was restored about 13 months later.

During that time he made his $3 million back by being a guest enforcer at the year's WM. I wonder if he got paid extra for doing ref duties at the end.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission fined him $3 million of his $30 million purse, and suspended his license. State commissions follow suspensions of their peers, so that left Tyson without a place to box in the US. His license was restored about 13 months later.

During that time he made his $3 million back by being a guest enforcer at the year's WM. I wonder if he got paid extra for doing ref duties at the end.
What Tyson got for Bite Fight should be the minimum penalty for Suarez.

I think FIFA, as with most governing bodies in sports, will rule in favor of their wallet. Suarez seems to be a major star, and if they think they'll lose a noticeable amount of money, they'll find alternative solutions.

From a Mashable.com article on the topic:

In the 2006 World Cup final, French star Zinedine Zidane infamously headbutted Italian midfielder Marco Materazzi. FIFA's sanction? Zidane was fined $6,000, and agreed to do community work with children in lieu of a three-match ban. (Materazzi, meanwhile, was fined $4,000 and banned for two matches for provoking Zidane.)

I think FIFA, as with most governing bodies in sports, will rule in favor of their wallet. Suarez seems to be a major star, and if they think they'll lose a noticeable amount of money, they'll find alternative solutions.

From a Mashable.com article on the topic:

Lance Armstrong was cycling's biggest star of all time. Did THAT save him from a lifetime ban from the sport for doping?

Lance Armstrong was cycling's biggest star of all time. Did THAT save him from a lifetime ban from the sport for doping?

To be fair, the investigation that led to his ban didn't begin until 2010. Armstrong's last of his seven Tour de France 'wins' was in 2005. Certainly, it scratched Armstrong's name out of the history books and definitely affected him from a financial perspective, but I don't think it affected the revenue the tour organizer's made from having such a star in their races.

By the time Armstrong was banned, he was pretty much done as a cyclist, at least from a top dollar perspective.

So folks, what are your quarter final predictions?
France vs Germany
Brazil vs Columbia
Argentina vs Belgium
Holland vs Costa Rica

Here's what I WANT HAPPENING:

France v Germany = Germany
Brazil v Colombia = Colombia
Argentina v Belgium = Belgium
Netherlands v Costa Rica = Costa Rica

Here's what's PROBABLY gonna happen:

France v Germany = Germany
Brazil v Colombia = Colombia
Argentina v Belgium = Argentina
Netherlands v Costa Rica = Netherlands

I am looking forward to the brazil columbia game the most.. i would not be surprised if we are in for another shock here. Before the tournament i would have gave them no chance especially without falcao. I was not too familiar James Rodriguez until this tournament but he is the star of the competition for me so far, the goal he got in his last match was unbelievable. And Cuardado is a real trick machine.

I think the french might prove too strong for the germans. I think the Costa Ricans are capable of beating the Dutch if they manage to keep Robben and Van Persei quite. And the Argentinians will probably scrape through against Belgium.