Mighty no. 9

theincubuslord

I couldn't see a thread about this game, so thought I'd make one!

I'm a HUGE Megaman fan, and since Capcom decided to the franchise over, I've had my eyes peeled at this new game, the spiritual successor made by Keiji Inafune himself!

And the first official trailer is out!

The graphics aren't new-gen, definately not a triple-A game, but I still think it looks beautiful and awesome! :D

Not really feeling it. Would it have been more expensive to do 2d sprites? I feel like it would look so much better that way.

I'm much more interested in Igarashi's Castlevania spiritual sucessor though. Even going to donate towards it.

Not really feeling it. Would it have been more expensive to do 2d sprites? I feel like it would look so much better that way.

I'm much more interested in Igarashi's Castlevania spiritual sucessor though. Even going to donate towards it.

It depends on the method of animation.

For frame animation, every change and addition requires a new drawing, which can be quite labor intensive in the long run. Skullgirls took it to the extreme, it may not have many characters, but each one exceeded 1000 frames. The budget was a little little under $2 million, and I wouldn't be surprised if most of it went into the art.

Skeletal 2D animation is cost efficient since the artists only need to create assets for moving parts. Art assets can be reused for tweaks or additions in animation. Unfortunately, they tend to lack the feeling of weight compared to frame animation.

Anyways, I think the decision to go with 3D is because it is flexible. Besides being able to reuse models for different animations, you can implement varying camera angles. In 2D, you are generally stuck at one perspective.

Last edited: