Lordi - The Arockalypse.

Neo Gunloc

Ahh, those 3 words still echo through my ears....

Hard... Rock... Hallelujah !!

Once again, congratulations to Finnish monsterband Lordi on a victory well-deserved at the 2006 Eurovision Blablabla Thing.
Anyway, I bought their latest CD, 'The Arockalypse' in Amsterdam a few days ago.

For those of you that don't know.
Lordi is a theatrical Melodic hard rock band, who go on stage while dressed as monsters.
There is the lead-singer, 'Mr. Lordi' (who looks like a cross between Rob Zombie, Freddy Krueger and The Undertaker.)
The mummified 'Amen' handles the guitar duties.
Alien/Demon hybrid 'Kita' pounds away at the drums. (Usually from inside a flamespewing cage.)
The Vampiric Witch 'Awa' putts the audience under her spell with her keyboard.
And last but definetly not least, there is the Demon-Bull named 'Ox', who perforates eardrums with his bass guitar.
(IMO Ox is also the coolest looking of the five.)

The CD is filled with melodic sounds competing against what can best be described as a mix between speed metal and power metal.
Naturally the hitsong 'Hard Rock Hallelujah' is present on the album, but I have to say that the other songs have more of a hard edge to them.
The song 'Bringing Back The Balls To Rock' fits perfectly as an opener, while songs like 'It Snows in Hell' 'They Only Come Out At Night' and 'Supermonstars' keep the audio assault going.

If you're interested in theatrical melodic metalbands, you should definetly check Lordi out. Their victory at the afore mentioned Euro Something was more than deserved, and the show they put up on stage is simply fantastic.

20060521.OBS0095.jpg

From Left to Right : Ox, Kita, Mr. Lordi, Amen and Awa.

Go for it dude, because the album is definetly worth it.

In the meantime, here's a funny LORDI pic for you to enjoy.

From Left to Right : Ox, Awa, Kita, Mr. Lordi and Amen relaxing in Athens by a pool.