Help me pick a character?

as i said from what i can tell every char in this game has one true bnb (its the best damage) and thats it. anything else is done for hte reasons i listed.

what is a difference is a char with hit confirmable strings so they can switch up the bnb to something with a high/low in it midcombo. which i also listed. :)

reason i didnt pick jonny is because he said rushdown wasnt required but would be nice. tho its a strong candidate to be sure!

Sektor:
aggresive, short simple effective combos, one of better teleports. Only X-ray may be more difficult to apply.

Reptile:
fast, annoying ranged, one of best sweeps, slide + rush. (not as frequent as expected)

Cyrax:
fast, net, bombs, buzzsaw combos, teleport, good anti-air.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Think I am going to wait for Skarlet tomorrow, and then decide. She looks very wicked.

Edit: And red headed womens be sexy!

as i said from what i can tell every char in this game has one true bnb (its the best damage) and thats it. anything else is done for hte reasons i listed.

what is a difference is a char with hit confirmable strings so they can switch up the bnb to something with a high/low in it midcombo. which i also listed. :)
Yeah but I just feel like because Baraka's specials all focus on doing damage while on the defense, or just pushing your opponent away from you, his only real offense is in his normals. That's why he hardly ever gets into a situation where you have to use a different combo aside from his BnB. Of course, he also relies on pushing the other guy into the corner, but his corner combo is also very much like his BnB and again, is the same combo just with a different starter depending on how the opponent is blocking.

Maybe it's just the same with every other character. I don't know. I started out maining Scorpion and he has like 5 different ways to start off a combo.

Tbh I haven't chosen my mains yet either, but I've certainly narrowed down the list. My options are Sub Zero, Baraka, Sindel, Kitana, Johnny Cage (love him but aren't good enough to use him well yet) and Liu Kang. Their fight styles just click with me. As you can see, all of these have a bit of countering in them. Well, Cage is all rushdown mostly, and that's why I'm having trouble really getting into him. It's hard for me to learn which strings are safe on block and all that, when to block and when to put on pressure, etc... There's just so much to learn when it comes to that.

Last edited:
You could do the same as me.......NO MAINS! :)
Kabal and Mileena were my mains before and Kabal will always be my favourite character, but atm I have no mains, I pick any character offline and online.
I think it's more exciting this way, but if you really want a main, go to practice mode and see what character you feel more comfortable with.

You could do the same as me.......NO MAINS! :)
Kabal and Mileena were my mains before and Kabal will always be my favourite character, but atm I have no mains, I pick any character offline and online.
I think it's more exciting this way, but if you really want a main, go to practice mode and see what character you feel more comfortable with.
This reminds me, there's another character I'm looking to main: Shang Tsung. And that's because after playing the game for a while in a session I'll usually just pick random character, or do the random select thing. I'm actually competent with almost every character, just not to the level of knowing their combo's and blockstrings etc well enough. I feel like once I've mained a few characters, I can then expand to cover more of the cast and eventually learn to play Shang Tsung well. But that's long term plans... Right now, I sort of have mains in the sense that I'll usually pick Sub Zero, Baraka, Sindel or Scorpion when I'm facing a tough opponent but I don't enjoy any character much more than any other.

The thing about training mode is I usually just want to get in a few matches whenever I start up the game. I don't usually start it up going "today I feel like figuring out combo's and shit". But that probably has alot to do with not having a good controller, it makes it a pain to learn new combo's every time. I'll still occasionally mess up Sub Zero's slide! Ordered a fightpad though :)

Baraka has better mix-ups than Nightwolf??? Seriously??? Nightwolf may be hard to master, but he has answer for pretty much everything in the game. The only thing he lacks is air combat, but he already has anti-air, so... what does Baraka exactly has better than Nightwolf??? Combo-wise, he's much more diversed than Baraka, you can easily mix up most of Nightwolf's specials. He has lots of combo starters (axe and enhanced axe or enhanced lightning) and combo finishers (shoulder and enhanced shouler or choke), plus he has a super kick ass reflector and power absorber. Does Baraka even have unblockables?

The fact that very few people use Nightwolf - which AMAZES ME - may underwhelm the character but he's easily near the top-tier list.

mixup is the ability to mix in highs/lows. of which nightwolf doesnt have that many lows i believe. or maybe i was blind whiel using him i dunno.

its not really a mixup to say he has different combo starters if you can block them all while standing.

as for the reasons people dont use him, probably aesthetics more hten gameplay.

mixup is the ability to mix in highs/lows. of which nightwolf doesnt have that many lows i believe. or maybe i was blind whiel using him i dunno.

its not really a mixup to say he has different combo starters if you can block them all while standing.

as for the reasons people dont use him, probably aesthetics more hten gameplay.

Actually, alot of his attacks seem to have Mediums that I am noticing. Alot of them go High, High, Medium, Medium. Or High Medium High. Not seeing alot of them that go Low.

As for his aesthetics, yeah, That's one of the main reasons I am wierded out by him; he just moves his arms and legs for his attacks, the rest of his body stays completely still. Swing his Axe? Arm moves, rest of him hardly does. It's unnerving.

by aesthatics i meant more his looks lol. not everyone likes the indian vibe.

and mixups implies both. he doesnt really have any good lows, being the main reason i excluded him from the list. hence why i said you could pretty much block while standing against him :p

I just thought I would update you guys; I starting playing Ermac again for shits and grins, and I like him again. Only character I can clean house with on Expert Arcade, though that may be because he is easy to use.

Fear 3 hasn't let me try Skarlet very extenstively yet.