Ed Boon Announces No More DLC for Mortal Kombat 9

Well there is hope, although there's also a downside to this.

MK9 isn't getting anymore DLC. Vitality on the other hand...

Unless of course, Vitality is not MK9.

Just more proof that the MK team blatantly lies to us.

I'm not going to hunt and find a quote, but I think we all remember Boon saying that the market will determine DLC. If it is successful, there will be more, if not, less.

Well, the DLC we got was the stuff that was planned before the game was even released. You don't think that they only made Rain and Freddy because Skarlet and Kenshi sold so well, do you? No, this was the plan from the get go.

Then it did sell really well. But still nothing beyond what would have been released anyway even if nobody in the universe bought any of it.

I don't know if it's NRS or WB, but they clearly are absolutely horrible at understanding the market and have no actual idea what the public is thinking or wants.

I'm not sure what the rest of you are thinking, but I'm getting awfully tired of putting up with crap like this from the MK team. As much as I have always supported MK, since the very beginning, I'm thinking of making this game my last MK purchase.

Well thats Official then.... MK is DEAD!

AWW, And here it was Game of The Year! And they go and Blow it!

Well i guess it's so long MK!

U had ur Run and u let it go to waste!

Nuff Said!

By: DCS

say they threw in a few more characters in a batch of DLC, and then after that it was their last. Would you still think the game is dead just cause the DLC is over?

even if they kept adding shit, they would eventually have to stop sometime. People who think that a game constantly needs DLC added at all times I really dont get. It wasn't even that long ago where there was no DLC and people just enjoyed the game for how it was.

that being said, I think NRS could have put DLC to use way better than they did, it was dissapointing, but saying the game is dead just because there is no more DLC is a kinda foolish in my opinion. I guess DLC really can brainwash people.

are you considering the balancing issue that must take place with dlc incorporation? you have to pay money to design characters; then you need to test them; then you have to factor in their inevitable glitchy broken qualities; then you probably will need to shell out money just to patch their broken qualities, which costs more money...on each console.

I don't think any of this would be at issue if they just made some additional backgrounds and maybe fatalities as DLC. I would be satisfied with that.

omg this game has a massive amount of content and extra dlc! Are you never satisfied!!!!!!!!! They could make dlc for this game weekly for 50 years and you guys would still complain when they stop! =P

Also it cost a lot of money to make and approve dlc so even if the dlc sold better then the game it may not be cost effective to make more.

@Cyndrix if thats your attitude I think mk might be better off without you buying their games.

I agree with n9195v, some of you are SO ungrateful. This game is still young, there's still stuff being discovered. Its the best MK game ever made.

I am certain there will be UMK 9. ItL cost about 20 pounds/dollars, will have new x rays, new characters, new stages, etc. Building on this engine. Maybe next year we'll see this.

omg this game has a massive amount of content and extra dlc! Are you never satisfied!!!!!!!!! They could make dlc for this game weekly for 50 years and you guys would still complain when they stop! =P

Also it cost a lot of money to make and approve dlc so even if the dlc sold better then the game it may not be cost effective to make more.

@Cyndrix if thats your attitude I think mk might be better off without you buying their games.
The flesh and the desires of men are never satisfied Proverbs 27:20

future gen is 14 or 15 we'll get mk10 at 13 and i bet it will be playable on the future gen

If i recall new systems never have good games upon release especially a fighting game, maybe down the line but definitely not within a few months of release.

Sounds about right.

$20 would probably be for those who want to add it as an expansion to the existing MK9 game.
I hope its in that format, i really hope if they make an UMK9 it would be an add on content to the origional MK9 game and not just another game disc that we have to purchase at a game store inorder to play it, that would be a waste of money on all those cds that they could save on if they just did a add on UMK9 DLC add on content to your original mk9 game.

Last edited:
lol I hope my home boy Drahmin is in this one. but I hope if it happens they give umk9 its own story line and make it continue the story arc.

lol I hope my home boy Drahmin is in this one. but I hope if it happens they give umk9 its own story line and make it continue the story arc.

For that, why not just have NRS make MK10.
It makes no sense to add extra stories to an already existing MK9 story.
A FEW extra characters / MK1 thru UMK3 stages I could understand.

You don't know how much money it costs to make or approve dlc. You have no idea what the cost benefit ratio of creating new dlc would be or even what the breakeven point is.

I don't know either, but I do know that if the dlc sold better than the game of course it would be cost effective to make more. If it wouldn't, why would they have ever made it at all?

Do you know what costs the most money? Selling nothing. That's what they're doing right now.

But whatever, I'm assuming that someone from WB took a look at the MK9 sales numbers and ordered NRS to immediately begin work on MK10.

I really couldn't care less if they release more dlc for MK9. I personally think the cast is already too large anyway for such a deep game. There may be a handful out there, but I doubt there are very many people that regularly use each fighter.

The only reason I care is because during MK9's development, Boon constantly talked about dlc and said this game was being made with dlc in mind. I know he said that how much dlc is released is going to depend on how successful it is. Well, it's been hugely successful, and no additional dlc has been released, so obviously he was either lying or didn't know what he was talking about.

I don't know why I would have ever expected more from the MK team. The lesson is to just not buy into the hype and take everything you hear from NRS with a big grain of salt. With how many times they have been wrong and/or lied in the past, I don't even necessarily believe him that there is no more dlc.

My biggest hope is that the team is working on a sequel that will actually be good and not listening to a bunch of people who thought MK Trilogy was a good game. The last thing we need is a sequel with things like brutalities or Motaro in it.

Last edited: