dial-a-combos help

mk4life

is there a trick to getting these dial-a-combos to be executed 100%? no matter who im using, sometimes im able to execute the full combo but sometimes it just stops mid way through. kinda pi**** me off haha. anyway is there a certain timing you have to have for these or what? cause whenever i dial the combos as fast as possible they dont usually work. i tend to have more trouble with the longer ones obviously. any help would be appreciated.

is there a trick to getting these dial-a-combos to be executed 100%? no matter who im using, sometimes im able to execute the full combo but sometimes it just stops mid way through. kinda pi**** me off haha. anyway is there a certain timing you have to have for these or what? cause whenever i dial the combos as fast as possible they dont usually work. i tend to have more trouble with the longer ones obviously. any help would be appreciated.

If you're talking about the generic 3 hit strings. You can punch the buttons as fast as you want back to back.

If you're talking about cancelling a 3 hit string into a special. You have to punch in the special about a hit or 2 early depending on the specific string/special.

IF you're talking about juggling. That's not 100% dial-a-combo. As you need to use your eyes/patience/spacing properly to continue juggling.

Can you tell me which specific combo you are trying to do?

Practice mode goes a long way. I would just pick one character and stick with them until you get that person's combo down again practice is the only way you will get better.

It would help if you said which characters you're using and what you're playing on I.e. Pad or stick

If you're talking about the generic 3 hit strings. You can punch the buttons as fast as you want back to back.

If you're talking about cancelling a 3 hit string into a special. You have to punch in the special about a hit or 2 early depending on the specific string/special.

IF you're talking about juggling. That's not 100% dial-a-combo. As you need to use your eyes/patience/spacing properly to continue juggling.

Can you tell me which specific combo you are trying to do?

im talking about the combos that are given to you in the move lists. each kharacter has anywhere from like 3-5. the 3 hit strings are pretty easy, but im having trouble with the ones that end up being like 6 or 7 hit combos. for example jade's 7 hit combo: HP,HP, D+LP,LK,HK,B+LK,B+HK, i keep messing up after the first two or three hits. or shang tsung's 5 hit combo:LK,HP,HP,LP,B+HK, again after the first 2 or 3 hits i mess up. its weird cause sometimes i will get it but lots of times i just f*** it up. and i use the regular xbox d-pad, so its obviously going to be a little more difficult but im obviously doing something wrong.

im talking about the combos that are given to you in the move lists. each kharacter has anywhere from like 3-5. the 3 hit strings are pretty easy, but im having trouble with the ones that end up being like 6 or 7 hit combos. for example jade's 7 hit combo: HP,HP, D+LP,LK,HK,B+LK,B+HK, i keep messing up after the first two or three hits. or shang tsung's 5 hit combo:LK,HP,HP,LP,B+HK, again after the first 2 or 3 hits i mess up. its weird cause sometimes i will get it but lots of times i just f*** it up. and i use the regular xbox d-pad, so its obviously going to be a little more difficult but im obviously doing something wrong.

Are you playing exclusively online? Lag could play an issue.

It's just practice then man. If you're getting it "Sometimes" you mind knows the pattern.

When I learn combos you need do it over and over until muscle memory kicks in.

If you're messing up at the same spot repeated. Then stare really hard at your character and keep repeating and changing the timing until you know when you should push the button. Sometimes looking for a key thing your character is doing can help you time your button presses better.

IF you're dropping them online. that's inevitable.

One thing you might wanna try is to slow down and make sure you're hitting the right buttons. I'm not saying to go so slow that the combo stops, but after the first to hits, you can slow down a little to be more precise. Also, any combo where you have to push different directions (like Jade's and Jax's 7-hit strings) is gonna be more difficult. I've been playing this game since it came out and I still can't get those kind of combos all the time.

Critical-Limit said it best. With the dials, you've just got to practice them and get the feel of it. Others like the crazy ass Ermac combo or the Smoke juggle combo are what I call "unnatural combos" because they weren't specifically programmed in that way. They might work, they might not. Depends on the timing. Dials should always work though.