Arcade Endings & Story mode. What's next?

goro15

Having seen all the tower endings and finished the story mode I have to say, while MK9's story and endings were okay to bad, this one is just awful because they had time to learn from the past and didn't. I get that for the arcade era and early games there was little need for endings to make sense because of no story mode. Now the story mode itself has already been discussed to death, but these endings are just all over the place.

Liu Kang is the only one I actually finished myself and after having witnessed that horrific ending, I figured I'd watch the rest. At least in MK9 they made him a fire god of some kind. Here, he's just going to rule netherrealm, really?? After all these years of character development, to finally make that next step for him to become a fire god or assume the role of Bo Rai Cho as the elder trainer of warriors, it all goes down the drain in this game. Even in story mode he has little to no role.

While gameplay wise, this game is by far the best ever, I expected way more character development and finally some endings that made sense instead of Kotal Kahn asking for another tournament (how original), resurrection of Shang Tsung (we all saw this coming), Goro killing everybody (ow no, we have a character we do not know what to do with but he beat Shinnok so I guess we have no choice but to have him kill everybody) etc.

I fear what's next for the franchise, especially since Ed Boon said he did not know what to do next. I'd say they need to either fully commit to the story and endings so that they make sense and feel like MK again or just go do a pre-quel or something. This all feels too much like the setup for a different take on Deadly Alliance (like this one for MK4) and just doing a next gen MK for the sake of it. Having watched all the endings, I seriously doubt they are actually going to make way for new staple characters and will bring back Johnny, Sonya, Liu Kang, Kung Lao again. There is no passing of the torch here.

What do y'all think, any hope for the future of MK or with it remaining stuck in recycling and retelling everything, making up stories for characters as they see fit as opposed to development?

Endings are non canon. Just what if stuff. And also the endings are awesome, Ferra/Torr's one was really great, and so were many others, like Erron.

And I can guarantee you that Sonya, Johnny, Jax, Kenshi, and maybe Kung Lao aren't in the next game.

Endings are non canon. Just what if stuff. And also the endings are awesome, Ferra/Torr's one was really great, and so were many others, like Erron.

And I can guarantee you that Sonya, Johnny, Jax, Kenshi, and maybe Kung Lao aren't in the next game.

Some are definitely canon and a precursor to the next game. Ferra/Torr indeed was a good one, but out of 26, that's not saying much. Really? He made a deal with Shang Tsung to age slower, took his time and then takes out the next generation? Combine this with the other ending that Jax stops him but gets killed, no just awful. He was mysterious and they should've gone into that more.

Wonderful for a laugh, but they've aged really poorly. Love Tanya's THIS IS A TRAP!!!! though, obviously.

Tanya's was iconic.
You can't say you wouldn't love to see endings that are updated graphics like the cinematic E3 MK2011 reveal.
MK4/G endings still take the cake. Every game I still hope to see it back.

Tanya's was iconic.
You can't say you wouldn't love to see endings that are updated graphics like the cinematic E3 MK2011 reveal.
MK4/G endings still take the cake. Every game I still hope to see it back.

I actually dig these painting endings more. CGI cutscenes always age weirdly as graphics improve. This new style is timeless.

While gameplay wise, this game is by far the best ever, I expected way more character development and finally some endings that made sense instead of Kotal Kahn asking for another tournament (how original)

Literally the only two MK tournaments in MK existence are MK1 and MK2. MK3, 4, Deadly Alliance, Deception, Armageddon, and MKX had no tournaments. 2/8 deserves a sarcastic "how original"? I'd love to see them try their hand at another, and make it an actual single elimination bracket tournament among all the greatest fighters.

Last edited:
Literally the only two MK tournaments in MK existence are MK1 and MK2. MK3, 4, Deadly Alliance, Deception, Armageddon, and MKX had no tournaments. 2/8 deserves a sarcastic "how original"? I'd love to see them try their hand at another, and make it an actual round robin tournament among all the greatest fighters.

What? MKDA?
Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance was a tournament, hosted by Shang Tsung and Quan Chi. That's .. very clearly stated throughout the game.

What? MKDA?
Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance was a tournament, hosted by Shang Tsung and Quan Chi. That's .. very clearly stated throughout the game.

There was a tournament, but it was fake and the only one who fought in it was Li Mei. They did it to get the souls of strong warriors to put into the Dragon King army soldiers. All the other characters didn't participate in the tournament.

There was a tournament, but it was fake and the only one who fought in it was Li Mei. They did it to get the souls of strong warriors to put into the Dragon King army soldiers. All the other characters didn't participate in the tournament.

Ah, I see. But Li Mei also mentioned the tournament to Shujinko in the MKD Konquest.
Does that mean that there was a tournament, but it was just generic villagers and Li Mei? That would make sense.

Ah, I see. But Li Mei also mentioned the tournament to Shujinko in the MKD Konquest.
Does that mean that there was a tournament, but it was just generic villagers and Li Mei? That would make sense.

Well, there's not really any info about the others who fought in the tournament, but yeah, I do believe it might just be her village which were enslaved by Quan Chi and Shang Tsung in order to build their temple.

My main wish for the MK11 story is for Edenia, Orderrealm and Chaosrealm to finally be involved. Frankly, I'm tired of the focus on Earthrealm, Outworld and Netherrealm. I think it's time to give the others a chance. There's no greater opportunity than Dark Empress Kitana trying to reclaim her home by taking it from Kotal and trying to merge it with the Netherrealm. Havik can get the ball rolling, while Hotaru is called in by Raiden to help maintain balance among the realms. Do it, NRS.

-

Some things I believe will happen, because too many endings share the premise:

1) Liu Kang, as the new overlord of hell, sets his eyes on Earthrealm, potentially to specifically oust Raiden.

2) Shang Tsung returns. He's too iconic to forget about for 8+ years, and with Quan Chi and Shinnok out of the picture, MK needs a sorcerer on the roster.

Last edited:
Edenia, yes. But God, let's leave Chaosrealm and Orderrealm in the old timeline. What a bunch of needless distraction that was. It never felt like it fit.