Official February 12th MKX Livestream Thread

Look at the Angelina Jolie version of Maleficent and you'll get that vibe.

Notice how I said "vibe" and not complete duplicate.

No, black or white shitty outfits please, Kitana's outfit is blue, period.

If they were to use those what would be next? An orange Sub-Zero?

nah TBH if MK is going to improve they need to get away from this color specific for characters.

things will get stale if scorpion is always wearing yellow and sub zero blue its like ok we get it fire and ice. its not like we wont know who they are if they wear a different color.

im dying to see like an all black scorpion with a bit of silver.
or an all white with an orange mask scorpion.

all im saying mk will get stale if we dont start getting minor costumization with outfits and color wise.

Scorp and Sub's colors are significant to their clans. Bad example imo.

I'd like to see a Liu Kang without black and red. Kitana is one of those that has the potential to stray away, but too many casuals know her as the blue ninja girl. You have to take that into consideration when designing, it's not ideal but it's business.

I remember in Deadly Alliance Kung Lao's primary was so unrecognizable and stale that I tried my hardest to get enough koins to get his more familiar looking alt.

I'd like to see a Liu Kang without black and red. Kitana is one of those that has the potential to stray away, but too many casuals know her as the blue ninja girl. You have to take that into consideration when designing, it's not ideal but it's business.

I remember in Deadly Alliance Kung Lao's primary was so unrecognizable and stale that I tried my hardest to get enough koins to get his more familiar looking alt.

Scorpion wears yellow to mock the Lin Kuei. Sub-Zero's blue has nothing to do with the Lin Kuei though. Each character in the Lin Kuei have each their colour they wear, and their Grandmaster wears red.

I really dislike the colour-coded characters. A certain colour shouldn't represent a character, imo.

Watched the stream on YouTube, pretty satisfied. Reptile seems interesting with these variation changes too, I imagine him being a nightmare online lol

I think the color on the outfits are already part of the character.

Of course we don't need to have everything on that color.

Kano showed us a good side of not getting too connected to colors, yet to originality.

Kitana too. Still blue, but with a lot more of detail.

I think Scorpion uses yellow because it's the color of his clan. If it's still canon tah mocking thing, the founders of Shirai Ryu may have intended that, but I'm sure people are using yellow because it's a representative color for that particular group of people.

And don't look at my name. Nothing personal.

yes they can have one costume that has their original color.
but its pointless if a character has tons of alts if they are all the same color.

thats why i really like kanos look because he doesnt have one color that represents him. he evolves in every game and its still recognizable.

im dying to see like an all black scorpion with a bit of silver.

That would be either Noob Saibot or Smoke, because that's who it would be visibly recognizable as. Do you want me to see Jax with the Bob Marley dreads? Or Johnny Cage with a mullet? Or Kitana with a pink mohawk and an Anarchy symbol tattoo on her forehead?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

That would be either Noob Saibot or Smoke, because that's who it would be visibly recognizable as. Do you want me to see Jax with the Bob Marley dreads? Or Johnny Cage with a mullet? Or Kitana with a pink mohawk and an Anarchy symbol tattoo on her forehead?

Wearing another colour is not anything as drastic as those changes you mention.
Do you only wear the same colour every day?

... To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if you did.

I wouldn't really mind drastic color/costume changes so long as they hold story significance, and there's a REALLY good reason in-game as to why it's there. I'm a HUGE story person.

Wearing another colour is not anything as drastic as those changes you mention.
Do you only wear the same colour every day?

... To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if you did.
Most of my street clothes are black. Johnny Cash wore black everyday, so what's wrong with it? I'm a sports fan, and every team you watch on television has a specific color scheme. The Oakland Raiders and San Antonio Spurs have Silver and Black, while the Los Angeles Lakers and Minnesota Vikings have Purple and Gold, for example. Teams not wearing a color wear White uniforms (this is typically the home team in basketball and the road team in football).

Most of my street clothes are black. Johnny Cash wore black everyday, so what's wrong with it? I'm a sports fan, and every team you watch on television has a specific color scheme. The Oakland Raiders and San Antonio Spurs have Silver and Black, while the Los Angeles Lakers and Minnesota Vikings have Purple and Gold, for example. Teams not wearing a color wear White uniforms (this is typically the home team in basketball and the road team in football).

Pardon my French, but I don't give a rat's ass about sportsteams. They have team colours so people can see who is on what team when playing. They could just as well wear red shirts on one team and blue on the other.

It's not the same with fighting game characters. There's alot more freedom to make intricate character designs, and being bound to use a certain colour every time is restrictive of that freedom. It doesn't matter if Kitana wears blue, red or black, as long it fits the design.

But I know I'm not going to convince you otherwise, and I'm not trying to. I'm just adding another perspective.

i clearly said minor costumization.

i dont mean soul calibur type of costumizing but if it was more like preset.

obviously if u give ppl too much freedom they will come up with some funny designs and make a mockery of the game. and that can take away from MK.

but i mean if they give us the freedom to choose if u want Kitana to wear her mask in the Royal storm variant.

certain armor you would like to take off or replace it with a different armor.

mix and match.

i think these shin gruards look better with this mask so u swap it out etc.

I knew what you meant by some customization .I'd like to be able to change the female's hair styles ..it would be cool to change little details like their boots....kinda like doa..there won't be total customization but you'd get to change up some things .

Yes lol if you give people to much control they will ruin the game..I don't want to face scorpion without his mask and a purple afro lol

"I AM the flashing lights and special effects."

Scorpion wears yellow to mock the Lin Kuei. Sub-Zero's blue has nothing to do with the Lin Kuei though. Each character in the Lin Kuei have each their colour they wear, and their Grandmaster wears red.

I really dislike the colour-coded characters. A certain colour shouldn't represent a character, imo.

Makes sense that the son of the grandmaster wears red too. Scorpion mocks sub zero and wears yellow

There is no confirmation of what I am going to say, but this "mock the Lin Kuei" seems to be obviously non canon anymore.

This was more of a justification when the only human Lin Kuei we knew was Sub-Zero, like everybody there used blue.

Cyrax is Lin Kuei and wears yellow, I don't think he is mocking himself.

There is no confirmation of what I am going to say, but this "mock the Lin Kuei" seems to be obviously non canon anymore.

This was more of a justification when the only human Lin Kuei we knew was Sub-Zero, like everybody there used blue.

Cyrax is Lin Kuei and wears yellow, I don't think he is mocking himself.
This.

Fans should know better, MK is the pound for pound King of retcons.

You're supposed to design characters so that they're instantly recognisable. Since the very beginning each character has had a distinct feature and once we stray away from that, its tough to associate the previous iterations of the character with the new design (along with their back story). Some characters through colours, some through features.

You can't have Scorpion wear black and silver, that distinction is already given to Smoke. You're nuts! He could wear a tuxedo for all I care, as long as it's gold/yellow.

Kano must have his red eye. Shao Kahn must have his skull mask. Raiden must have his conical hat. et cetera.

Last edited:
I think I remember a Raiden that didn't have a hat.

Anyway, it really depends. I agree to some extent about variety in clothing, but even Street Fighter limits to some extent how far one can go before Ken or Ryu make no sense anymore. You can get Ryu to wear a red gi, but you have to ask yourself why he still looks like Ryu despite not wearing his iconic red bandana and white gi. Short of Scorpion's spear, he doesn't really have much that would allow him to wear anything but yellow without becoming unrecognizable. Gold could work, so could maybe a light brownish sand color. But... eh.