Kitana Thread - "You'll Learn Respect!"

:laugh: You're 100% right :)

It's just if you're a casual player who's not trying to learn the game inside out, don't give tips like you're an expert.

I'm not saying that your tips are garbage or anything but going into detail with help him more than just a simple pretty kick or faking him out. You have to explain so they can get a general idea of how to address the situation, like in my explanation I gave a simple scenario.

Sometimes alleged "experts" talk too high level and out of their own rear ends. In most cases, simple explanations are more relatable and effective. Why explain something in a novel format, when a pamphlet is just as effective? Just because someone is a self-proclaimed "expert" doesn't necessarily mean they have the best knowledge or know it all....they don't.

Sometimes alleged "experts" talk too high level and out of their own rear ends. In most cases, simple explanations are more relatable and effective. Why explain something in a novel format, when a pamphlet is just as effective? Just because someone is a self-proclaimed "expert" doesn't necessarily mean they have the best knowledge or know it all....they don't.

True, I'm not a expert but I am above the average player and to get to the level where I am you have to start from somewhere and that somewhere is high level talk. I went into MK9 with no experience from any fighter so I had to start from step 1 and what I explained was so simple. It's up to the player to take the information and use it.

True, but when someone is looking to counter say Sheeva's ground stomp, chances are they don't care that you need to wait three frames, watch for Sheeva to pick her thong outta her rear, then 3/4 of the frame completion right when her thong snaps, move in with Kitana, do this, that, and the other thing until you see Kitana's hair fall back into place.

Some people want that kind of high level detail, but I think most just want: As Sheeva does her ground stomp, jump punch in, forward+4, 1, then cutting fan, or other combo if you know one.

True, but when someone is looking to counter say Sheeva's ground stomp, chances are they don't care that you need to wait three frames, watch for Sheeva to pick her thong outta her rear, then 3/4 of the frame completion right when her thong snaps, move in with Kitana, do this, that, and the other thing until you see Kitana's hair fall back into place.

Some people want that kind of high level detail, but I think most just want: As Sheeva does her ground stomp, jump punch in, forward+B, 1, then cutting fan, or other combo if you know one.

:rofl: It's not going to be that detailed, but frame data plays a huge role in what's punishable and safe.

But sometime it's not that simple, maybe you're not in Jump in punch range what do you do then? o_o

So going into detail helps.

You get what I am saying; I dumb-downed that example for illustrative purposes. Frames or not, most people out there simply want to know how to counter a move or whatever, they aren't looking for a dissertation like this is PhD level in quantum physics. Once they can successfully do what they want to do in a match, then maybe they care about how deep levels of the fighting engine work.

I'm thrilled you get very involved in being incredibly competitive over a video game. As for me, I have better things to do than get that invested in a silly game. It is what it is and I simply enjoy it offline more than online. If that's not "cool", oh well. I'm not trying to impress anyone.

It makes me giggle in my little boots when people think that being good with a game takes hours upon hours of daily practice, and also say they have "better things to do" when they go on a video game forum. lols! I have a job, a girlfriend, I go out and party with friends, and I still have "time" to get good at MK. Skill mostly has to do with knowledge, not experience. My friend plays way more than me, but I'm better than him because I take the time to understand the game and how it works.

Thanks again for the cool tips, both of you offered something for me, so I appreciate it.

Both of you make valid arguments and in this case neither of you is wrong, they are just different approaches to fighting games and I kind of think that's what DirtyWhore is getting at, but having said that I didn't think iVital was getting too complex, not so far anyway.

DirtyWhore is right though in my experience, Scorpion and several of the cast are more difficult match-ups online simply because of the different way in which people fight online and their abilities being more spammable. It's the same in the Street Fighter game, fighting Ryu, Ken, Akuma and Sagat spamming fireballs and uppercuts all day drove me off the game and I can see why the repetitive Scorpion and to a lesser extent Ermac could be the same in MK. It just isn't fun fighting the same character with spamming tactics over and over and although I want to learn and be good with fighters I am still here to have fun. I have taught two people who are total fighting game noobs (they really have never touched a fighter ever) and both of them were able to pick up Scorpion and once I showed them the special inputs they were able to practically button mash through and pull off tough matches.

When I play mortal kombat I find that when I stop trying and just have fun and just do the combos I am better then I was before.

My main is Kung lao and it was very hard choosing a second main and was hesitant to choose Kitana because she seemed to much like kung lao and I wanted someone with flashier moves like cyrax. But I bit the bullet and tried her in a tag mach offline and holy crap she fit perfectly with kung lao so now kitana is my second main. I also like finding my own style with a character makes the game more fun.

I also like jade, and kenshi but not as mains I tried jade and it did not work out so they are just for fun fighting.

I'm really trying to put some effort into learning combos, but I'm struggling to get many of the ones listed on the first page to work. Even breaking them down into smaller components I just can't get some of the moves to link into each other, have there been game changes made since they were posted?

Specifically I can't get Cutting Fan to link after ground Fan Toss and I can't get d1 to follow after Cutting Fan.

@ Kogia

This is why you constantly move and always anticipate, since it's a unblockable about 85% of the time they're going to do it if you're at fullscreen it's best not to just block out in the open anyways, it's best to block when trying to get in (Dash blocking) or when taking chip from strings from your opponent.

Scorpion strategy that works for me!

Since you're a average Kitana player it's best to stay in his face, her Cutting fan block string is the best thing to use. 2,2,1 into cutting fan it could also be used to put them in a guessing game also, if you 2,2 into grab they you get roughly around 15% damage (Combined with chip and the throw) and about 3% With the cutting fan pressure. Remember to always go for that free Jump in Punch in they don't block the cutter fan after the block string because it puts them back in a guessing situation.

Use her D+1 into fake out kick, condition them to block low then follow up with F+4, 1 (The 1 hits as a overhead oppening them uo for a BnB combo)

Now, the scorpion teleporting over your fans.. This is a good thing in a way.

Say if I'm at fullscreene and I throw fans and attempt to keep scorpion away, but he times his teleport right to get back in my face and apply pressure. In your mind it's like "Ok he teleported and It countered my fans so I'm not going to try that anymore" But it's really about baiting that teleport and punishing it. try to figure out his pattern in between his teleport when you're throwing fans.

Thanks iViTal, I missed this before, but found it today and it's some good solid advice, much appreciated.

the matchup vs sector is so stupid. He has the flame that says don't jump. he has the missles that beats the fan he has the lockin missle that says you will get chiped. he has like 3 of them you can duck some of them not all of them. Then he has the garantee chipout move. If he has one meter you eat a 50% combo unless you have a breaker. Its like what are you going to do. You gotta rush him down but he zones you out so much better.

Kitana can out zone Sektor with her instant air fans and his forward missiles, you can duck those and for the up missiles just dash block in.

So what he can get 40%+ off one meter, that should motivate you to play less risky and call out anything he throws at you that's punishable. The lock in missile doesn't take chip damage and he has to burn a bar to use it, unless he's going for the Leg lift Mix up option.

Kitana can out zone Sektor with her instant air fans and his forward missiles, you can duck those and for the up missiles just dash block in.

So what he can get 40%+ off one meter, that should motivate you to play less risky and call out anything he throws at you that's punishable. The lock in missile doesn't take chip damage and he has to burn a bar to use it, unless he's going for the Leg lift Mix up option.

Kitana CANNOT outzone sektor. yes, her iafs travel faster than his forward missiles, but more than likely, you will trade hits. Plus, using fans in this match is VERY dangerous because iAT punishes all fan attempts, even iafs thrown at its lowest altitude.

also, because of his small hitbox, its hard keeping pressure on him and he will blow up d1 cutter.

I don't know who outrushes either other tho, but with the newly discovered kitana tech, I believe kitana outrushes him, but even then, its hard to get in on him because of the Missiles and flamethrower.

this match is 5-5 or 5.5-4.-5 in sektors favor.

Kitana CANNOT outzone sektor. yes, her iafs travel faster than his forward missiles, but more than likely, you will trade hits. Plus, using fans in this match is VERY dangerous because iAT punishes all fan attempts, even iafs thrown at its lowest altitude.

also, because of his small hitbox, its hard keeping pressure on him and he will blow up d1 cutter.

I don't know who outrushes either other tho, but with the newly discovered kitana tech, I believe kitana outrushes him, but even then, its hard to get in on him because of the Missiles and flamethrower.

this match is 5-5 or 5.5-4.-5 in sektors favor.

Wow, I didn't know the fans traded thanks for correcting me though. I really hate to give false information :laugh:

its cool man. I just saw when u said kitana outzones him and I was like "lolwuuuuutttttt???!"

I gave up on Kitana :(

The 360 D-pad screws her over, I try to go for a D+1 I end up throwing ground fans.. It's soooo frustrating =/

Sticking with Mileena though, my main since Day 1 of the game 8)

Kitana Match-Up Chart

Baraka: 6-4
Cyber Sub Zero: 6.5-3.5
Cyrax: 5.5-4.5
Ermac: 5-5
Freddy: 4.5-5.5
Jade: 5.5-4.5
Jax: 5-5
Johnny Cage: 5-5
Kabal: 5-5 *
Kano: 5.5-4.5
Kenshi: 4-6
Kung Lao: 6-4
Liu Kang: 5-5
Mileena: 5-5
Nightwolf: 6-4
Noob Saibot: 5-5
Quan Chi: 6-4
Raiden: 5-5
Rain: 5-5
Reptile: 5-5
Scorpion: 6-4
Sektor: 5-5
Shang Tsung: 5.5-4.5
Sheeva: 7-3
Sindel: 5.5-4.5
Skarlet: 5.5-4.5
Smoke: 5-5
Sonya: 5-5
Stryker: 5-5
Sub Zero: 6-4

Total: 161

I gathered as much information as I could. This is not a finalized chart as I am looking forward to hearing feedback from other players on this site. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

*REO says Kitana beats Kabal :eek:

Re: Kitana Match-Up Chart

Mileena v Kitana 5-5?

Shouldn't Mileena win this one?

I'm usually able to time a teleport just right and not trade against a iAf Kitana player, and Mileena's D4 beats Kitana's D1 because Mileena is at advantage and can cross up after and if Mileena stays out of range of a D1 she can punish on whiff with a U+4 into her highest meterless combo. Correct me if i'm wrong please :)

Mileena v Kitana 5-5?

Shouldn't Mileena win this one?

I'm usually able to time a teleport just right and not trade against a iAf Kitana player, and Mileena's D4 beats Kitana's D1 because Mileena is at advantage and can cross up after and if Mileena stays out of range of a D1 she can punish on whiff with a U+4 into her highest meterless combo. Correct me if i'm wrong please :)

Mileena definitely has the advantage in this match, that's obvious. Kitana has to play EXTREMELY relaxed, careful, smart and patient in this match. if mileena is zoning, she's at risk of eating an ex iAssSmash. If kitana is playing the match right and manages to get the life lead, then it can be very hard for mileena to win. Once kitana has the lead, it would be very wise for kit to just sit back and let mileena come to her, and that's when mileenas options become very risky:

-Trying to move in with d4 can get blown up by f2 1
-Trying to move in with roll can get blown up bad if not spaced correctly
-Trying to move in with a jump can get blown up by Kitanas many AA's
-Trying to move in with either version of the teleport can get blown up bad

Of course, this only comes to play when kitana has the lead. If mileena has the lead, its very hard for kitana to win as well. Not to mention that kits rushing is far better than mileena's. and if mileena is trying to avoid kits jump in attack with d4, a well timed deep jump kick fan will blow it up.