What is with the ninja thing?

TOBY

Okay, reading through a bunch of posts, I see what seems to be an epidemic. Most of you have what seems to be a hard-on for pallette-swapped ninjas.
Ninja reptile, Tremor, Chameleon, human Smoke, "Hydro." Okay, newsflash, Reptile was never human to begin with, the old cartridge games and arcade boards had little memory and space to work with, thus Midway needed to conserve as much as possible, so they swapped Scorpion into green pajamas for the time being. Tremor sucks. Chameleon was just filler . . . on the other hand, I think Khameleon was cool and deserves to come back with a revamped look and moveset, and a new storyline, but Chameleon? Come on, he never had a story to begin with. Human Smoke? Okay, it makes sense that he's in SM, but it wouldn't make sense to see him return, as he's a cyborg now. And Hydro? WTF, no.

What puzzles me is why anybody would want 7 or 8 charActers to look exactly alike? Wow, the ninja look is cool, let's have 10 of them. NO! Raiden looks cool, do you want 9 more Raiden swaps out there?

And for the record, I hope Rain makes his return, but looks a lot different than he did in MKT.

Chameleon was a female raptor (reptiles clan). No it wouldn't make much sence for Smoke to be a cybernetic, because he made an appearance as a cyborg in UM3 I think...

yea i admit it. i love the pallete swap ninja's.
but so what?> i can't get enough of them
hey its not my fault if umk3 smoke make's me hot. :D

For me personally, it was always a comfort thing. It's the same reason that I usually only played as the Ryu-type characters in Street Fighter; basically, I knew what to expect and could immediately pick them up and play.

Anyway, I find it ironic that your point is basically to slag the people who like palette-swap ninjas, and yet you say something like "I think Khameleon was cool and deserves to come back". What?! She epitomizes the unoriginal palette-swap character, and if having a half-assed storyline slapped on someone is all it takes to turn them from "filler" to "cool" in your book, then I seriously think you need to raise your standards. Both Ch/Khameleon characters were filler, okay? You gotta be consistent here if you want to make a solid argument.

And the Rain thing too? Come on. So you hate all palette-swap ninjas except for the ones who were only created as bonus-filler, used pre-existing powers and were given half-assed storylines. Alright then.

And for the record, there haven't been any characters that looked exactly alike since UMK3, so it's a pretty moot point now. I don't think this discussion belongs in the "future" forum considering you're bitching about the content of decade-old games.