Toy's R Us leaks release date of character DLC as this Wednesday? - Updated: NO

i know from waiting on new L4D dlc that new dlc content on xbox market place show up at 3am central time....so it would already be up by this morning if it was going to come out.

The problem with DLC , is usually microsoft or sony themselves. They want developers to remove part of their content, to offer it later as DLC. One prime exampe was Castle Crashers.. The preview footage showed the chainsaw being used. The chainsaw DLC came out nearly a year later. Comments from the developers (the behemoth) was that it was in microsoft's hands for months, when asked on their forums. Ok, its possible that skarlet is still unfinished (yeah right..) but i would put my hand in the fire that the MK2 female classic skins are already done, and just waiting later to milk you guys. As i posted in another thread, here is part of the game .ini file :

Code:
[CHAR_KITANA_C]
SourceAsset=CHAR_RetroNinja_Female_MK2
SourceMapping=CHAR_Kitana
MeshName=RetroNinja_Female_MK2
Kitana_Expressions=RetroNinja_Female_MK2_Expressions
BabyName=NPC_Kitana_C_Baby
BabyScript=NPC_Kitana_C_Baby.mko

[CHAR_JADE_C]
SourceMapping=CHAR_Jade
Jade_Expressions=RetroNinja_Female_MK2_Expressions
BabyName=NPC_Jade_C_Baby
BabyScript=NPC_Jade_C_Baby.mko

[CHAR_MILEENA_C]
Mileena_Expressions=RetroNinja_Female_MK2_Expressions
SourceMapping=CHAR_Mileena
BabyName=NPC_Mileena_C_Baby
BabyScript=NPC_Mileena_C_Baby.mko

Clearly , they have the skins, in fact if i'm not mistaken, it was originally said that the girl's classic costumes were going to be mk2 , but they turned out to be mk3 ..

Ed Boon said we would not be paying for anything on the disc.

Skarlett is on the disc, but she is unfinished.

And I believe the Klassic costumes will be free since Hector said to be patient and not to waste your money on the Ebay bids.

Ed Boon said we would not be paying for anything on the disc.

Skarlett is on the disc, but she is unfinished.

And I believe the Klassic costumes will be free since Hector said to be patient and not to waste your money on the Ebay bids.

I bet they'll make the argument that they're not making us pay for Skarlet (two Ts or one?), they're making us pay for finishing her. Sucky. But I hope the klassic costumes are free. I want klassic Noob, but I never see it brought up much.

The problem with DLC , is usually microsoft or sony themselves. They want developers to remove part of their content, to offer it later as DLC. One prime exampe was Castle Crashers.. The preview footage showed the chainsaw being used. The chainsaw DLC came out nearly a year later. Comments from the developers (the behemoth) was that it was in microsoft's hands for months, when asked on their forums.

Thats nothing to do with Microsoft forcing developers to take content out and sell it as DLC, thats 100% the developers decision. But any DLC you want to release still has to go through Microsoft's certification process, so thats what they would have meant by it being in Microsoft's hands, they had submitted it to be certified so it could be released but Microsoft were dragging their heels. Unfortunately I've heard a few stories like this, smaller indie devs getting treated like shit by Microsoft, I think the Super Meat Boy devs had some similar problems from memory. This wont happen with Mortal Kombat though, I'm sure Microsoft will be very keen to keep Warner Brothers on side.

Thats nothing to do with Microsoft forcing developers to take content out and sell it as DLC, thats 100% the developers decision. But any DLC you want to release still has to go through Microsoft's certification process, so thats what they would have meant by it being in Microsoft's hands, they had submitted it to be certified so it could be released but Microsoft were dragging their heels. Unfortunately I've heard a few stories like this, smaller indie devs getting treated like shit by Microsoft, I think the Super Meat Boy devs had some similar problems from memory. This wont happen with Mortal Kombat though, I'm sure Microsoft will be very keen to keep Warner Brothers on side.

Hope your are right, although i have similar feelings .. it wouldn'T make sense to keep DLC away for too long.

BTW, Skarlet is NOT on the disc, 360 or ps3. Her game files are not there.

Just checked Ed Boons Twitter. He verified no DLC this week but VERY soon! So im thinkin maybe that toys R us ad got posted a week too soon. Fingers crossed that NRS announces it officially over the weekend. But who knows? It might be months before we see DLC.

*cough* Monday *cough* Night *cough* combat *cough*

Didn't Microsoft force Valve to charge for DLC that they wanted to release for free? If this is part of the developer Xbox Live Marketplace terms then I wouldn't expect anything 360-wise to cost nothing. NRS could of course counteract this by including the free content with one of the paid packages, but you would still have to pay to get it unfortunately.

Honestly, Microsoft does whatever it wants to - forces devs to charge for DLC, then releases their own DLC for free, who knows. I can't be bothered to keep up with their asinine policies anymore.

Didn't Microsoft force Valve to charge for DLC that they wanted to release for free? If this is part of the developer Xbox Live Marketplace terms then I wouldn't expect anything 360-wise to cost nothing. NRS could of course counteract this by including the free content with one of the paid packages, but you would still have to pay to get it unfortunately.

Honestly, Microsoft does whatever it wants to - forces devs to charge for DLC, then releases their own DLC for free, who knows. I can't be bothered to keep up with their asinine policies anymore.

Microsoft charges for bandwidth usage and server space (via taking a cut of every sale). If something is free on a competing service (PSN) then it can be free on the 360 as well. The amount of updates/content Valve would want to push through would eat up a lot of costs. Also, Microsoft wants to keep Ddvelopers on a similar level, although some do get special treatment or find ways around the rules.

Sony charges for space as well, it's why we don't see a lot of demos for PSN games.

Also the costumes will just be small download keys, not a large amount of data.

I think all of the DLC will be paid. Those who STILL think klassic kostumes will be free are setting themselves up for disappointment for the millionth time.

Here's what I hope their release schedule will be:
(2 releases a month, 1 every 2 weeks)

this month: 2 characters - probably Skarlet and Fujin, then MK3 Sektor/Cyrax costume pack

June: male ninja preorder klassic kostume packs, then female ninja preorder klassic kostume packs (obviously paid)

July: 2 more characters - hopefully Cyborg Smoke :))) and Tanya, then a classic fatality pack

August: a few new stages (one with a stage fatality), then some more costumes (maybe for Skarlet/Fujin)

September: last 2 characters - maybe Rain and Kenshi, then a new 1p mode update (challenge tower, story, krypt)

All the while they patch in some updates with character damage balancing, fix some bugs, add in a few new kombat kodes, and add in a new secret or two.

Then release all the DLC with the game as an Ultimate MK disc version in time for Christmas!

And then next year, MK HD Arcade Kollection.

P.S. Maybe we'll see something at this year's E3 about MK9 DLC or an 'updated' (with all of the DLC in it) version of MK9 for next year for the new systems (3ds, NGP, Wii2).

Well, Kenshi and Skarlet were confirmed as the first batch of DLC characters, so he'll come out when she does.

That said, I kind of doubt there will be more than five DLC characters made available. Based on the Skarlet vids out there (I don't have a PS3, so I can't say how the Kratos/CSZ selection is), the DLC stacks outward side-by-side. And frankly, there isn't all that much space laterally for more than six characters, and I'm assuming one of those would be CSZ or Kratos on the PS3.

I think everyone's forgetting the bigger picture here. Everyone related to Mortal Kombat is a liar. We've known this since MK1 and 2. There's no reason to believe anything that anyone says anymore. In fact, if something is asserted as fact, we can the opposite to be true. If retailers tell us DLC will be available for sure, this clearly means it will not be available. If we are told DLC will be downloaded, this means it is already on the disc. What Toys R Us meant to announce was that NetherRealms Studios hates its fans. But you knew that.

Well, Kenshi and Skarlet were confirmed as the first batch of DLC characters, so he'll come out when she does.
You're forgetting the #1 Rule - if it's said about MK, then it's a lie. Skarlet and FUJIN will be the first characters, as we know. Due to the lies of Boon!

Last edited:
I think all of the DLC will be paid. Those who STILL think klassic kostumes will be free are setting themselves up for disappointment for the millionth time.

this month: 2 characters - probably Skarlet and Fujin, then MK3 Sektor/Cyrax costume pack

June: male ninja preorder klassic kostume packs, then female ninja preorder klassic kostume packs (obviously paid)

July: 2 more characters - hopefully Cyborg Smoke :))) and Tanya, then a classic fatality pack

August: a few new stages (one with a stage fatality), then some more costumes (maybe for Skarlet/Fujin)

September: last 2 characters - maybe Rain and Kenshi, then a new 1p mode update (challenge tower, story, krypt)

All the while they patch in some updates with character damage balancing, fix some bugs, add in a few new kombat kodes, and add in a new secret or two.

Then release all the DLC with the game as an Ultimate MK disc version in time for Christmas!

P.S. Maybe we'll see something at this year's E3 about MK9 DLC or an 'updated' (with all of the DLC in it) version of MK9 for next year for the new systems (3ds, NGP, Wii2).

it'd be sweet if they actually released like this.

you are the man! I like that plan