The beauty of the jump punch

aj327

This may seem remedial to most of you, but I don't think I realized how great the jump punch is until recently. It seems to be able to start off almost any combo (maybe all of them?) - even the really slow startup ones. For instance, I almost gave up on trying to start Johnny Cage's combos off with F4 just because it's so damn slow and would always get blocked. But if the jump punch hits then so does F4 which can set you up for an easy 30%ish percent combo without even trying...and into the 40% range if you're good at keeping your nerve.

I've known about starting off combos with a jump punch for a long time but I guess it just didn't occur to me that it's not just good for getting a couple extra damage points on your combo. The best part about it is that it really helps you out with the combos that have slow start-up speeds. Granted it might not be that easy to get a jump punch in on a really good player, but it should still be easier than trying to get them with Jade's B1.

yeah, yeah, the jump punch is a very useful tool in this game, deadly if used correctly , due the feature to link with any other combo sequence you want to use with ...... since the demo, I had already figured out the usefulness of this weapon, and so, after some Cyrax players online kicked my ass, using and abusing of teleport + jump punch to start some devasting combos, I started to pay more attention about it.

In fact, while people complain about special move spam, I think that jump punch and jump kick, normal or inverted, are among the most annoying stuff to you worry about to defend properly in this game ..... some players specialize in using a lot of these air moves, and, believe, some know pretty well exactly when to jump and use, and, catch you in right time .....

The jump punch, if hits, can be connected next with a combo; if don't hit, still can give you advantage on being close of enemy, allowing sometimes a throw, or aditional chip damage using some moves with frame advantage. Johnny Cage and Kano can do it sometimes, after a jump punch.

The jump kick allows more or less the same, and, if hits, sends the enemy to a certain distance, and , with another normal jump while enemy is recovering / waking up, you land exactly very close of the opponent, getting him trapped in some combo / moves with frame advantage ....

Last edited:
I cannot stand the jump punch. Some guys just over-use it and its like what the hell is with the constant jumping? are you you a kangaroo? You must start your crappy 20% combo with a jump punch? Im noticing more that the little recreational scrubs are using it. OP, Stop Promoting it, theres other creative ways of initiating a combo.

Last edited:
I cannot stand the jump punch. Some guys just over-use it and its like what the **** is with the constant jumping? are you you a kangaroo? You have/must start your crappy 20% combo with a jump punch? Im noticing more that that little recreational scrubs are using it. OP, Stop Promoting it, theres other creative ways of initiating a combo.

Haha, I didn't realize it was overused so much since I haven't gotten a chance to play online yet. I just play with my friends and they're too busy spamming teleport and projectiles to worry about spamming jump punch, but point taken :). Maybe I should rename the thread to jump punch is for pussies.

I guess my point is just that many combos have jump punch listed as the first move. I had always assumed that it was just there to artificially inflate the value of the combo and had underestimated its usefulness as a combo starter itself.

Haha, I didn't realize it was overused so much since I haven't gotten a chance to play online yet. I just play with my friends and they're too busy spamming teleport and projectiles to worry about spamming jump punch, but point taken :). Maybe I should rename the thread to jump punch is for pussies.

I guess my point is just that many combos have jump punch listed as the first move. I had always assumed that it was just there to artificially inflate the value of the combo and had underestimated its usefulness as a combo starter itself.

There's nothing wrong with using such a useful tool. It's a fantastic way to put you're opponent at a disadvantage and you can almost guarantee a free throw after a blocked jump-in punch. Like you said, it adds a bit of damage to your combos, it can start up an otherwise slow combo quite quickly, it can harass people who don't know how to deal with jump-in punches, and it's a good way to start a combo on a crouch blocking opponents since jump punches are overhead strikes.

When used properly, no tool in and of itself is for scrubs or noobs or whatever. Using something badly and repetitively to one's own potential detriment is noob-ish. If you do something well and it helps you win, then rarely is it "for pussies". I've had people tell me I'm a combo spammer...I used three different combos and kicked his ass and he wanted to complain about it. Someone will have something against most anything. Use what you're comfortable with. If it helps you to win and doesn't absolutely break the game, I don't see the problem.

I cannot stand the jump punch. Some guys just over-use it and its like what the hell is with the constant jumping? are you you a kangaroo? You must start your crappy 20% combo with a jump punch? Im noticing more that the little recreational scrubs are using it. OP, Stop Promoting it, theres other creative ways of initiating a combo.

lol im sorry but if you don't know how to stop some one who jumps in alot then you need to learn a whole lot.

I love the jump punch! I use for almost all my kombos. MOST of them. Not all. It is a really helpful tool and helps me initiate many kombos. Except I don't do a grapple. That is a waste.

I love JP.

I use it to start most of my combos, is pretty annoying and works as an overhead, and is teh best way to do B+1,2 with Sub-Zero, since is a slow string and its own.

lol im sorry but if my ratio is 1053: 289 apparently I don't need to learn a whole lot. Thanks for your comment.

Ratios mean nothing.

You can be an amazing player, or maybe just a smoke teleport spammer, or a exclusive kung lao player.
And with th elaggy online we have, it means less.

His answer was kinda rude and uncall for but anyway dont brag about it.

Last edited:
dont brag about it.

Im just defending my self with a fact. But usually when you have a good ratio, you are clearly understanding something/ doing something well and generally when you have a bad ration its clear you are not familiar/ less experienced or simply put not very good. So in general, yeah they do show relevance to a player.

Im just defending my self with a fact. But usually when you have a good ratio, you are clearly understanding something/ doing something well and generally when you have a bad ration its clear you are not familiar/ less experienced or simply put not very good. So in general, yeah they do show relevance to a player.

Of course at some point you are right, but still is not a nice thing.

But I get your point.

PS - That's a lot of matches :p

Of course at some point you are right, but still is not a nice thing.

But I get your point.

PS - That's a lot of matches :p

LOL I know man. Im done college for the summer and i am unemployed too. Im waiting to get called for an interview and what not. So in the meantime, im just enjoying some good ol' MK ;)

I like jumpin punches with anyone that has a olow hit string like kano. Overhead followed by a low juggle is sexy.

I've known about this startup move for a while too, but its never been used on me online or offline (against friends). I myself have tried using the jump punch into a higher combo, but Im still not very good at keeping myself from whiffing it. Honestly, its not hard to block it though, just keep your finger right on the block button and your set to go.

Lmao, its very annoying when people play predictable and put themselves at a disadvantage isn't it. Like man ima get real mad if my opponent jumps all the time into my wakeups.

Lmao, its very annoying when people play predictable and put themselves at a disadvantage isn't it. Like man ima get real mad if my opponent jumps all the time into my wakeups.

It's most fun with Sindel because when they jump too much, I use yell and it stuns them EVERYTIME. They say "Awww you're being a cheap spammer"... well ***** stop jumping all the damn time and maybe I woudn't do that.

I agree with DarkSideofTheMoon, it's beginning to get way overused and I'm tired of seeing jumpers >.<

"you do too many combos"
"you do too many jump punches"
"you do too many projectiles"
"you do too many teleports"
"you block too much"

so far, this is what the MK9 community is reporting. I think MK9 matches should be like the training option in the main menu. you know, where you're fighting a training dummy and the CPU says you must perform X number of breakers, X number of specials, X number of comobs before you defeat the dummy.

I think that would solve the whole MK9 online problem...or people could just play the game and stop whining about it. bleh...whatever...