The Angry Video Game Nerd

luxul

Shame on this forum for not having a AVGN thread!! ;-) Jk

Anybody here worship the Nerd too? I enjoy every single one of his videos, as he does review some VERY shitty games... just watch the "Plumbers Don't Wear Ties on 3DO" ep if you don't believe. If you haven't seen any, I strongly advise everyone to watch them all. And so, here we can discuss all of AVGN's best and greatest moments. What chu know about the NERD?

http://www.youtube.com/user/JamesNintendoNerd

http://cinemassacre.com/category/avgn/

I love the AVGN! I agree about the Plumbers Don't Wear Ties video. I also love his classics from a few years back like TMNT. Definitely check him out if you haven't seen him.

LOL.
I watch his stuff every once in a while.

Did you see his response at E3 2010 on Mortal Kombat.

"Oh YEAH!!! It's no more p**** shit, this time."
Ha ha ha ha ha
Laughed my ass off.

Did you see his response at E3 2010 on Mortal Kombat.

"Oh YEAH!!! It's no more p**** shit, this time."
Ha ha ha ha ha
Laughed my ass off.

LOL hell yeah, I like how he mentions that he's a "dinosaur and likes the old shit." :) I even remember when he talked about last MK vs DC at E3(forgot what year it was). Good stuff. James is da man!

Super Mario Brothers Super Show DeeVeeDee Menu Review is the best ever.

MOVE THE GLOW.

luxul, you were just waiting for me to respond, weren't you? ;)

I love Angry Video Game Nerd. Always look out for his new videos. Very funny stuff, and he makes some pretty good points. Another person I like is Angry Joe. He actually did a new video for the new Mortal Kombat. Check it out

Super Mario Brothers Super Show DeeVeeDee Menu Review is the best ever.

MOVE THE GLOW.

luxul, you were just waiting for me to respond, weren't you? ;)

:) Its possoble. ANOTHA SCREEN! :p I figured this thread would have extra GLOW and then all you'd have to do is press the reply to thread BUTTON again. ;-)

LOL, i bet people looking at this are like "WTF are they talking about!?!"

lo and behold, people. http://cinemassacre.com/2011/04/01/super-mario-bros-super-show-dvd-menu-screen-review/ Inspector Gadget owns your soul!!!

I love Angry Video Game Nerd. Always look out for his new videos. Very funny stuff, and he makes some pretty good points. Another person I like is Angry Joe. He actually did a new video for the new Mortal Kombat. Check it out

That was pretty cool, never heard of him before. I will have to check out more of his videos. Nice forum name btw. GOJIRA!!!!!! :)

That was pretty cool, never heard of him before. I will have to check out more of his videos. Nice forum name btw. GOJIRA!!!!!! :)

Ha, appreciate it. I am a huge fan of Mr. Godzilla, and looking forward to his new movie.

As for Angry Joe, he can be a bit much, but I like his reviews. Pretty entertaining. Stumbled across him when I was looking for a review of the Last Airbender movie.

Haha, my bad. I've heard Gojira thought a friend. Only was interested cause of their name. Didn't really like them, but ah well. Can't like everything, right? I remember at the time though I was introduced to Arch Enemy, who I think is pretty darn cool.

But yeah, I never did beat any of the side scrolling Ninja Gaiden games. I love how people complain about the new ones being too hard, and I'm like shiiitttt, go boot up a Nintendo and then come back to talk to me about a hard game.

I'm a great fan of AVGN too, i have in my iPhone the 76 episode of his Youtube account, but still have to get around to buying his DVDs, will try to do that soon. Its hard to pick just one review as my favorite, but i think the second part of his Atari Jaguar review is his best video overall, the ending is an absolute classic.

James IMO hit his peak around the Friday 13th/Nightmare on Elm Street/Power Glove trilogy. Then his videos started feeling a little too commercialized. There were a string that were still somewhat funny but were snoozers compared to his earlier reviews of nuggets like Mc Kids, Wally Bear and the No Gang, and Master Chu (all three are classics).

However I feel he really recaptured a lot of that with his Action 52 review.

In all honesty though, most all of the reviews post Action 52 are pretty forgettable.

Two things that to me have brought down the quality of his reviews in recent years are:

1. Several videos depend on some sort of story outside the realm of the game review itself. Without giving anything away, the last 4 or 5 minutes of his R.O.B. the Robot review are utterly pointless, not funny or entertaining, and add nothing other than time to the review video. I understand he's increasingly tried to become more creative, and that his first videos started out as more of a project than a career, but that aspect of it has brought down some of the nostalgic quality the ones from the first two years had. Several videos end with LONG segments about a character or something to do with the game, but have NO game review footage in them at all. Even some of his earlier ones like Friday 13th and Halloween are guilty of this.

2. His videos have increasingly become much more dependent on graphical characters (Mega Death Jesus 5000 or whatever its called), cheesy graphical effects (him sonic booming his t.v.), and other effects to make the videos feel like they have upped in production value. While on the surface this may seem cool to a video game geek, if you think about it a little deeper, you realize it takes away from AVGN's natural appeal that made him famous in the first place. He started out as just an every day guy, doing every day videos, venting real frustration at old crappy games. That. Felt. REAL. Now his videos feel like the internet equivalent of hollywood productions. While a video series and the person making it are inevitably going to become relatively famous with the following he's amassed, by him 'hollywooding' his videos up as a result of his increasing internet fame, he's lost some of his appeal as the everyday gamer like you and me that we could relate to. That's why his early video productions, which focus almost exclusively on the game itself and only contain footage of him, or the game, are the "timeless classics" he makes reference to in his videos.

I don't really see him going back to this style for his videos, but it sure would bring the quality of them up again if he did.

^Interesting insight/opinion, Grune, thanks for that. To me, AVGN just has that nostalgia factor and plays games that I grew up with, which always has me coming back for more. Quick question: Did you ever watch his video where he revisited some of the older reviews he didn't actually think were "reviews?" Thoughts?

My goodness!!!! it was about time to see something about the AVGN! I just love James' work but I have to agree with Grune's opinion that lately his videos lack the humorous tones that made him a hit. And yes, he's relying to much on overworked scripts with explosions, blood and stuff. I have his first 2 dvds and still missing the latest ones. Looking forward to the AVGN movie!

omg i love this guy! i've been watching James Rolf's channel for almost a year now.
i like he's video with the Die Hard game and the Superman was sooo ****ing hilarious..... this guy makes me so happy..
one day i came back from school after i failed in a test.... i was all depressed and sad, and i came back home, went to my room, watched some AVGN videos and i magicaly became happy again :D