Official Basketball Thread

Well, losing the Finals had to happen some time...although I still have a bad taste in my mouth over Game 6.

And mods, I believe I made a bet here. I wagered my TRMK posting privileges on Game 7...since my Spurs lost, I believe my bet was to be banned from TRMK for 7 days. I logged in to see if I had been banned yet. Now unless TRMK policy explicitly forbids banning as a result of losing a bet, would the next mod to read this message please do the honors of honoring my wager here? Thank you.

It's Ok, man.
I'm not even mad.
Come to the Heat parade today.
Come down to Miami.

The weather is nice during this time of year and the beach is swarming with hot women in small bikinis.
We can hang out.
I'll get you a nice Cuban mojito drink, a churrasco steak with black beans and rice, and you can forget your worries. ;)

A star is born!

140616_spurs_champions8.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Kahwi's been the workhorse of the Spurs, more than likely the future of that frachise. Meanwhile, Timmy and/or Manu might retire.

Kahwi's been the workhorse of the Spurs, more than likely the future of that frachise. Meanwhile, Timmy and/or Manu might retire.
As a lifelong Spurs fan, I remember the day George Hill was traded to Indiana on draft day for the draft rights to Kawhi Leonard like it was yesterday. My first thought was, this trade better be worth it (and mind you, Hill was a pretty solid player in SA, and Pop has since admitted that this was one of the toughest trade decision he ever had to make). I did not think in my wildest dreams that Kawhi would be named Finals MVP in just 3 years. What's even more remarkable is that he's still developing as a player.

I am pretty pissed at Vegas, though! Even after what transpired these last 5 games, oddsmakers STILL favored the Heat to win it all next year with a 5-2 odds!

Last edited:
I hate how the league became such a joke. I still watch and root for my Bulls. Well its looking like the Hawks vs. Warriors in the finals? what do you guys think? other teams play a lot different in the playoffs of course

Jerry Tarkanian as well.

Great college coach, but I do NOT have very fond memories of him. He was a monumental BUST as an NBA coach, and I know this because I am a fan of the only NBA team he coached...the Spurs. He only lasted 20 games in San Antonio....and this is a franchise that has only missed the playoffs 4 times since joining the NBA in the merger.

Last edited:
To tell you the truth, I pretty much forgot Tarkanian's name once John Lucas got the job. The firing of Larry Brown during the previous season started a coaching carousel which would see coaches last 2 years tops until the then-controversial change from Bob Hill to Pop. I knew that Tarkanian looked disinterested on the sideline, so I knew he just wasn't going to work for the Spurs, but a former play-by-play announcer for the Spurs recently said that the problem was that Tarkanian was a fish out of the water at the NBA level and clearly had difficulty transitioning from college to the pros (for instance, he attempted to ban the media from the locker room before a game, which is a violation of NBA policy, and he didn't even know how to call a 20-second time out). The fact that the Spurs lost starting point guard Rod Strickland to Portland via free agency during the off-season didn't help matters any.

Last edited:
I heard he wanted a NBA experienced Point-Guard so the might have better chance at a winning season and good flow of moving the ball on plays. Kinda makes sense in a way

Why has this thread been dead for a month?? Let's talk some BALL!

As a Spurs fan, i'm biased, and we're starting to get into our playoff groove, but the Warriors man.. they're coming, but living and dying by the 3 won't be the best strategy in the playoffs.

Who do you guys have in the Finals right now?

For me:

West: Heart says Spurs, brain says Warriors and maybe Thunder if they're healthy

East: A fight between the Hawks and Cavs, Bulls may sneak in there if Rose comes back like he says he is and plays decent.

I'm so done with NBA this year.

I'm a Pistons fan, and sh** just hasn't been working out right now. I can't even take another month of watching them consistently lose to garbage teams. They could have been playoff contenders in the East, and they still get a good game in every now and then...but I'm not gonna keep watching a team that's dropped 3 out of the 4 games they've played against the f***ing Sixers this season

/rant

I'm so done with NBA this year.

I'm a Pistons fan, and sh** just hasn't been working out right now. I can't even take another month of watching them consistently lose to garbage teams. They could have been playoff contenders in the East, and they still get a good game in every now and then...but I'm not gonna keep watching a team that's dropped 3 out of the 4 games they've played against the f***ing Sixers this season

/rant
Particularly embarrassing about that is the fact that the Sixers are throwing games for draft picks. You'd think they'd learn that tanking generally doesn't work in the NBA. The Draft Lottery is called a LOTTERY for a reason. My Spurs had one bad season due to injuries to star players (most notably David Robinson) and still managed to sabotage Rick Pitino's NBA coaching career by winning the 97 Lottery, for crying out loud.

Particularly embarrassing about that is the fact that the Sixers are throwing games for draft picks. You'd think they'd learn that tanking generally doesn't work in the NBA. The Draft Lottery is called a LOTTERY for a reason. My Spurs had one bad season due to injuries to star players (most notably David Robinson) and still managed to sabotage Rick Pitino's NBA coaching career by winning the 97 Lottery, for crying out loud.

I followed the Sixers so closely at the beginning of the season. Swear to god, I didn't think they'd ever get a win. That team is going to suck for another five years, I bet.

The Pistons might as well be tanking right now. I don't know how one team can be that inconsistent. I mean they win against Washington and Chicago, and then go on a 10-game losing streak which included losses to the Knicks AND the Lakers? Losing Jennings didn't help, but wtf.

Dwyane wade turned back time last night. I was at the game he was freaking awesome. Not just him but deng and dragic were key in the win also. Whiteside got a key defensive stop vs aldrdge who was lighting us up until that point.

Shouldn't using a high lottery pick on players who are out with season ending injuries in back-to-back years (Nerlens Noel and Joel Embiid, to be exact) be a major red flag that the Sixers are losing on purpose? And I think they traded for JaVale McGee. Isn't he more famous for being a star on Shaqtin' a Fool?

They're definitely throwing games.

Shouldn't using a high lottery pick on players who are out with season ending injuries in back-to-back years (Nerlens Noel and Joel Embiid, to be exact) be a major red flag that the Sixers are losing on purpose? And I think they traded for JaVale McGee. Isn't he more famous for being a star on Shaqtin' a Fool?

They're definitely throwing games.

Well, that's not even a question at this point. Everyone talks about them tanking, including those that work in the NBA. Although I don't think the players are tanking, they just suck at playing basketball due to inexperience. Who's the oldest vet on the team? Richard Jefferson?

Either way, I think its funny how Adam Silver said last year that "Teams don't tank"

SMU's basketball program has been hit with NCAA sanctions. Notable sanctions include a postseason ban for 2016, head coach Larry Brown suspended for 9 games, and a loss of 9 scholarships over the next 3 years.

This news clearly has "You knew better than to do that more than any other school in the country" and "DUMBASS" written all over it. This is the 3rd time NCAA infractions have happened under Larry Brown's watch (which is part of the reason Brown was in the pros most of his career).

More importantly, this is SMU's tenth NCAA infractions case overall. The most infamous infractions cases involving SMU was a string of infractions throughout the 1980s involving improper benefits to student athletes that ultimately led to their Football program getting slapped with the Death Penalty (the slang term for the most severe sanctions that the NCAA can place on a program; outright banning a program from competition for at least one full season). SMU was the last Division I school to receive the Death Penalty, and even after nearly 3 decades, the school STILL lives in infamy for that very sanction. That is why they know better than to break the NCAA rules above all other schools. They also should have known about the sanctions UCLA and Kansas faced as a result of infractions committed by those 2 schools under Larry Brown's watch before they even thought about hiring him.

Chicago is pretty much done with Derrick Rose's frailty. They aren't going to re-sign him once his contract is up in 2017, and I don't think he'll get many looks by other teams either.