Noob's name

Noob's name

• Noob

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Noob Saibot

Votes: 56 84.8%
  • What the hell is this sh1t of thread?!

Votes: 9 13.6%

• Total voters
It's going to be just Noob because John Tobias isn't part of the team anymore. Noob Saibot came from Ed Boon and John Tobias' last names reversed. I prefer the full name though, but it's not going to happen.

This is from the Mortal Kombat wikia. Take it for what you will:

"It is a commonly held misconception by fans that since John Tobias left Midway Games, the "Saibot" portion of the name had to be removed for legal reasons. This is false because Tobias does not own the rights to the name of "Saibot"; in fact the character is still called Noob Saibot during cutscenes and endings. It may be simple the result of the development team splitting up the name Noob-Smoke, but since the character has long been known with his full name, the change seem to come from an arbitrary decision to remove every reference to Tobias, like they have done in every commentary about Mortal Kombat origins in Deadly Alliance and Deception."

The Noob is Boon backwards. Tobias backwards is Saibot. John Tobias is in the game, correct me if I am wrong but if he is in the game which I think he is. They can add Saibot. They didn't add it in MKD because Tobias wasn't working in the game. I am pretty sure thats the case.

It's going to be just Noob because John Tobias isn't part of the team anymore. Noob Saibot came from Ed Boon and John Tobias' last names reversed. I prefer the full name though, but it's not going to happen.

I remember in an interview that Ed Boon or someone else from the team said that John leaving had nothing to do with them changing it. I'll try to find it.

Noob Saibot all the way, otherwise Bi-Han works too.
And i hope they never bring back his Armagghedon look kuz it was just plain terrible.....

I've always enjoyed the way the announcer says "Saibot", especially in MK4. So yeah, Noob Saibot. Full name.

Last edited:
...i don't know if someone mentioned it or not in this thread, but either way i'll do...okay so you all know where this Noob Saibot idea came from right? if you don't just revert Boon and Saibot and see what you'll get...and since Tobias not working on new Mk game we might be getting just Noob...why this logic? because in one of the interviews Boon says he won't rename Noob into Noob Saibot unless Tobias returns...he just shortened his name in his honour...yes i know lame move on his part, but it's his decision...but either he's Noob or Noob Saibot i voted for Saibot offcourse...

It is Noob Saibot, but seriously this thread just caused a pointless debate. Tobias DOES NOT HOLD THE RIGHTS TO ANY PART OF NOOB SAIBOT. The obvious reason that they stopped calling him Noob Saibot during armageddon and deception is because they already did the voice over for noob-smoke, its much easier to just split the names for their individual characters rather than do extra voice work, hence the word saibot was left out. The full name was mentioned in the endings, armageddons konquest mode and MK Shaolin Monks. Honestly this is a really pointless thread, no offense to OP.

It is Noob Saibot, but seriously this thread just caused a pointless debate. Tobias DOES NOT HOLD THE RIGHTS TO ANY PART OF NOOB SAIBOT. The obvious reason that they stopped calling him Noob Saibot during armageddon and deception is because they already did the voice over for noob-smoke, its much easier to just split the names for their individual characters rather than do extra voice work, hence the word saibot was left out. The full name was mentioned in the endings, armageddons konquest mode and MK Shaolin Monks. Honestly this is a really pointless thread, no offense to OP.

...dude that wasn't my imagination, its what Boon himself said (on Tobias part)...its not like most of the times what he says is true, but its all about his words and those interview...OMG if you don't believe me just check articles...google a bit...

Boon has never friggin said that they stopped using him cuz tobias left, i bet you they will include the saibot in this game.

Boon has never friggin said that they stopped using him cuz tobias left, i bet you they will include the saibot in this game.

he did...like i said you still don't believe read it somewhere on the internet...in some article! i guarantee you'll find out in no time...but that doesn't mean i wouldn't want his name te be Saibot either...

Wikipedia said:
The name "Noob Saibot" is made up of the last names of MK creators Ed Boon and John Tobias spelled backwards.

Speculation arose that after Tobias left Midway in 2000, the "Saibot" portion of the name had to be removed for legal reasons, but this was untrue as Tobias did not own the rights to the name. In MK: Deception's Konquest mode and in MK: Armageddon, the name Noob-Smoke was split up, with "Saibot" omitted for continuity purposes.

Noob is still referred to by his full name in his and Ashrah's endings in Deception. He is also clearly referred to as Noob Saibot by his brother in the 2005 release Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks, as well as during Armageddon's Konquest mode.

Ive shown you my proof plus the MK wiki article that was already posted.

Find me that "article" where boon says he dropped saibot because of tobias leaving.

Ive shown you my proof plus the MK wiki article that was already posted.

Find me that "article" where boon says he dropped saibot because of tobias leaving.

Speculation arose that after Tobias left Midway in 2000, the "Saibot" portion of the name had to be removed for legal reasons - thats what i meant...and i never really read anywhere saying it is untrue, until now...if its ture what said here than my appologies...

Speculation arose that after Tobias left Midway in 2000, the "Saibot" portion of the name had to be removed for legal reasons - thats what i meant...and i never really read anywhere saying it is untrue, until now...if its ture what said here than my appologies...

Okay so there you go, it wasnt removed because of him leaving, they just kept it noob because of continuity purposes.

End of discussion.

It's true that Saibot wasn't removed because of legal reasons, but it was still removed regardless. You're reading your "proof" incorrectly.

Enough of this debate, it ends here.