MK movie update/MK Legacy discussion

The ENTIRE story is dark themed. please explain to me what mortal kombat you guys are aiming for? Death
Is not something that can be taken lightly on the big screen. And since there will be a lot of death, it's gonna be dark lol.

I recall the 1995 Mortal Kombat movie being well written.
Although it came off as cheesy, due to the special effects, with today's effects you could strive to achieve that same Mortal Kombat feeling without it coming off as cheesy.
Movies and the movie-making process have evolved since then.

Lord Of The Rings had some realism and some mysticism to it, and even though there was death in it, Lord Of The Rings wasn't by any means "dark and gritty" like some of the other movies are today.
If the new Mortal Kombat movie could go for that type of mystical / magic feeling (which also has SOME elements of reality in it), then that's the feeling that I'm talking about.

Mortal Kombat's lore MAINLY consists of monsters, weird creatures, gods, overlords, 4-armed beings, sorcerers, assassins with special powers, and then the occasional normal / "real world" person is thrown in (Johnny Cage, Jax, Sonya and Liu Kang, for example).

A Lord Of The rings world type of FEEL, would be perfect IMO, and would allow for the explanation of Outworld, The NetherRealm, ChaosRealm, Seido, Edenia, etc, etc, etc, etc and would still allow for the brutality of Mortal Kombat (pun not intended), while not making it overly dark and gritty at the same time.

I don't see why a Tarkatan, Reptilian or other being can't be explained in a real world like setting, the same way that a Hobbits, Elves and Dwarves were explained in LOTR.
Both universes (MK and LOTR) take place in a version of the "real world" and the LOTR Trilogy was very well done.

In the past, I've tried to keep an open mind about realistic MK, but every single time that I do, someone else brings something up that resembles horror, and MK ISN'T horror.

I recall the 1995 Mortal Kombat movie being well written.
Although it came off as cheesy, due to the special effects, with today's effects you could strive to achieve that same Mortal Kombat feeling without it coming off as cheesy.
Movies and the movie-making process have evolved since then.

Lord Of The Rings had some realism and some mysticism to it, and even though there was death in it, Lord Of The Rings wasn't by any means "dark and gritty" like some of the other movies are today.
If the new Mortal Kombat movie could go for that type of mystical / magic feeling (which also has SOME elements of reality in it), then that's the feeling that I'm talking about.
Ever since ive seen LOTR trilogy, Ive always said A MK movie with a LOTR feel to it would be the Ideal MK movie!

Glad someone else thinks so.

I think they need to take the "dark fantasy" approach. Something more along the lines of "300" but not necessarily with the war theme. Expand the color pallet and use similar lighting effects. I think that a similar artistic approach would do well to illustrate Outworld.

The action direction in Spartacus was pretty amazing. That type of Bloody violent and visceral combat would translate well to the Mk movie IMO.

I hope there is a focus on hard hitting combat. Like the Sub-zero vs Scorpion battle in MKLS1. I don't know what the hell that was supposed to be in MKLS2. Looked like a slap fight.

Every time i hear "war movie" it immediately inspires thoughts of the MKA opening. i hope this isn't the approach they take. "Invasion" should be one of the themes along with "impending war". Not just "war" overall.

And for the love of Shinnock please plan your sound track accordingly. Lets have some larges scale orchestration opposed to techno. Techno, while popular lends itself more to summer-time disposable movies (resident evil series). large scale orchestration gives it a more serious tone. Consult with the netherrealm Music and sound department. Don't just wing it please.

That's all folks!!!

Last edited:
More interviews that indicate that in later MK live action works, we'll likely see Jade, Kabal, Nightwolf, Smoke and Goro as well as Sammo as Bo Rai Cho:

FN: Any characters you haven’t used yet that you want to work into this new mythology that you’re building?

KT: Yeah, you know, I’ve always wanted to do Kabal. The reason why I haven’t is because he’s such a…to me his storyline is really unique, it’s really cool, it’s a character shift and the prosthetic makeup would be incredibly fun. I just want to wait till I feel I have the appropriate resources to treat the character correctly, very much like Goro. You know, on a digital series budget, I can’t make Goro, it would be too expensive. I was hoping those two characters I eventually get to include.

http://www.fearnet.com/news/intervi...evin-tancharoen-talks-feature-films-and-ninja

Ian: What was the biggest challenge as far as creating the fight scenes for S2 of Legacy and helping to nail down what the final roster was? Do you have any regrets about not being able include a specific character, or are you hopeful that certain fan-favorites (Kabal, Nightwolf, and Jade) will surface if a third season happens?

Larnell: I had nothing to do with the final roster, although I did mention to Kevin in season 1 how much I wanted to have Kenshi in season 2. Believe it or not we both are fans of Bo Rai Cho and thought how awesome it would be if Sammo Hung could portray him. Of course the story is everything and it has to make sense how people appear etc. The writers have a tough task on their hands due to how people wanted Jax, Sonya and Kano for season 2 but there was not enough room or time to include them. It’s gonna be interesting to see what happens for season 3, but yes Kabal, Nightwolf, Jade, Reptile etc. I believe will be seen either in season 3 or the movie.

Ian: MK: Legacy II certainly ups the ante in how the combat is depicted through the sense of danger that’s present. This may be difficult to answer since you created everything, but what was the standout scene for you in season two of Legacy?

Larnell: I think the standout scenes for me is the damaged relationship between Liu Kang and Kung Lao. Also having Ermac and Kenshi go at it was a geek moment for me due to who would have thought we would see those two fight in a web series. I hope to have the opportunity to create a great fight for Kabal, he’s a favorite of mine also.

http://www.shogungamer.com/news/16270/interview-larnell-stovall-mortal-kombat-legacy-ii

JADE! Kelly Hu as Jade would be AWESOME! Then Talisa Soto can be Sindel.

Personally, I'd like to see what someone like Naomie Harris, Frieda Pinto, or any other talented "dark-skin" actress could do in the role.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd like to see what someone like Naomie Harris, Frieda Pinto, or any other talented "dark-skin" actress could do in the role.

Yeah. All I can think of right now in that category is Dania Ramirez or MEAGAN GOOD. Naomie Harris may not be a good idea. But, Nicole Scherzinger, Kelly Hu, and Jamie Chung look tanned enough to be Jade. Krystal Vee would work too. Maybe a little bit of tanning will do to her too lol.

However, I'd save Michelle Rodriguez as Tanya. It's that look and personality that both the actress and the character have.

Last edited:
Yeah. All I can think of right now in that category is Dania Ramirez or MEAGAN GOOD. Naomie Harris may not be a good idea. But, Nicole Scherzinger, Kelly Hu, and Jamie Chung look tanned enough to be Jade. Krystal Vee would work too. Maybe a little bit of tanning will do to her too lol.

However, I'd save Michelle Rodriguez as Tanya. It's that look and personality that both the actress and the character have.

Maybe you can throw in Zoe Saldana But the thing is (I might be a little nitpicky with this) Jade kinda looks like either an African or Middle Eastern beauty while Kitana, and Mileena look East Asian. Now for Tanya, I'd probably say Stacy Dash if going on looks alone but I tend to see her as a useless character anyway lol.

So basically for Jade someone that can pass for Ethiopian beauty would be ideal IMO.

Last edited:
Maybe you can throw in Zoe Saldana But the thing is (I might be a little nitpicky with this) Jade kinda looks like either an African or Middle Eastern beauty while Kitana, and Mileena look East Asian. Now for Tanya, I'd probably say Stacy Dash if going on looks alone but I tend to see her as a useless character anyway lol.

So basically for Jade someone that can pass for Ethiopian beauty would be ideal IMO.

That or a dark skinned Latina or dark skinned Asian. I know A LOT of Filipina actresses that look like Jade (look up "Iza Calzado" in Google and see how hot she is with that tanned skin). However, they obviously can't do American films and shows since they are based in the Philippines and in Filipino networks. And Zoe Saldana isn't pretty (no offense). I want Jade to look pretty for once.

I really don't mind who will be Jade as long as she has the looks (including the pretty face and a body that isn't anorexic) and the way she can fight and "KILL" with a staff. If Jade will not go Vlad the Impaler, she should at least have that low blow attack using her staff like her MK9 x-Ray move. ;)

Only thing that sucks with the Lord of the rings thing stated above is that MK won't even have a third of the budget due to an R rating. I do agree though and think that would be the best tone and atmosphere. Maybe in the sequels but it'll have to be very successful so KT will have to knock it out of the park with this movie. The sparticus and 300 vibe would be pretty cool too.

That or a dark skinned Latina or dark skinned Asian. I know A LOT of Filipina actresses that look like Jade (look up "Iza Calzado" in Google and see how hot she is with that tanned skin). However, they obviously can't do American films and shows since they are based in the Philippines and in Filipino networks. And Zoe Saldana isn't pretty (no offense). I want Jade to look pretty for once.

I really don't mind who will be Jade as long as she has the looks (including the pretty face and a body that isn't anorexic) and the way she can fight and "KILL" with a staff. If Jade will not go Vlad the Impaler, she should at least have that low blow attack using her staff like her MK9 x-Ray move. ;)

Well so far, I'd definitely say this woman has acting ability and an exotic "Jade appropriate" look that wouldnt look out of place in a fantasy film setting:

Frieda Pinto:

freida_pinto_1920_1200_sep282012.jpg

Also if this woman, Brandi Alexis Reed knew how to act and handle action scenes then I'd welcome her for Jade and Tanya because this is my MOST preferred look for a woman like Jade:

66649_Brandi_Alexis_Reed_bikini_122_576lo_122_576lo.jpg

I also wouldn't be opposed to actresses like Sydney Tamaiia Portier, Monica Raymund or Jessica Lucas auditioning for the role because they both have a somewhat "exotic" look to them. Other than that going for Indonesian and Thai actresses would also be good for the role of Jade.

Well so far, I'd definitely say this woman has acting ability and an exotic "Jade appropriate" look that wouldnt look out of place in a fantasy film setting:

Frieda Pinto:

View attachment 5895

Also if this woman, Brandi Alexis Reed knew how to act and handle action scenes then I'd welcome her for Jade and Tanya because this is my MOST preferred look for a woman like Jade:

View attachment 5896

I also wouldn't be opposed to actresses like Sydney Tamaiia Portier, Monica Raymund or Jessica Lucas auditioning for the role because they both have a somewhat "exotic" look to them. Other than that going for Indonesian and Thai actresses would also be good for the role of Jade.

I think Freida ok. She's not ugly but she isn't as pretty too. Brandi looks nice. Monica looks good to but Jessica Lucas is who I favor most in you choices. But I hope that if any get the role, I hope they can actually BE Jade with that "Vlad the Impaler" twist. ;)

Last edited:
Kerry Washington as Tanya. Zoe Saldana as jade. that is all.

jade is clearly supposed to be the Outworld equivalent of an African. and Tanya appears to be the same.

Freida pinto is gorgeous. anyone who thinks otherwise has poor taste in women.

Kerry is pretty and I think is good for that role. For Zoe, I still don't feel she should be Jade. Oh well though. We just have to wait and see who Jade will be.

I've always thought either Zoe Saldana, or Dania Ramirez could be decent Jades in looks. They can LEARN to kick ass.
I never thought about Frieda as Jade but She may do it too.

I don't want brandi as Jade. She hot but, not Jade.

I always pictured Stacey Dash as Tanya since Tanya first appeared in MK4.
Look wise for Tanya, idk about Kerry, but Kerry WOULD DEFINITELY be a good 'actress' for Tanya, Lol

I've always thought either Zoe Saldana, or Dania Ramirez could be decent Jades in looks. They can LEARN to kick ass.
I never thought about Frieda as Jade but She may do it too.

I don't want brandi as Jade. She hot but, not Jade.

I always pictured Stacey Dash as Tanya since Tanya first appeared in MK4.
Look wise for Tanya, idk about Kerry, but Kerry WOULD DEFINITELY be a good 'actress' for Tanya, Lol

Agreed! But for Tanya, I see Michelle Rodriguez actually BEING her. With braids or bangs especially, Michelle can totally pull it off in looks and in action.

the truth of the matter is all of the actresses are exceptionally attractive women, but none of them fit into the mortal kombat realm. They are nice thoughts but they have no prior martial arts or stunt experience and the fights would look stressed and poorly arranged like Sonya in the first MK movie. Sorry, she was hot but, looked ridiculous in the fight scenes. same thing for the fight scenes in "charlie's angels".

That's what makes these movies so hard to cast. finding that balance of beauty and brawn. Too bad Michelle Yeoh and Zhang Ziyi don't have universal features that would allow them to play these roles.

If I were in the Director's chair I would hire all Hong Kong talent to play the masked characters.

Maggie Chung as Sindel

Li Bingbing as Milleena

Kelly Hu as Kitana

Scarlett johanssson as Sonya Blade

all of these women are beautifual and can kick ass and look good in tight clothing.

kellyhucradle2thegrave_371469.jpgmaggiecheunghero_371469.jpglibingbingforbiddenkingdom_371469.jpgscarlett_johansson_blonde-golden-hair.jpg

the truth of the matter is all of the actresses are exceptionally attractive women, but none of them fit into the mortal kombat realm. They are nice thoughts but they have no prior martial arts or stunt experience and the fights would look stressed and poorly arranged like Sonya in the first MK movie. Sorry, she was hot but, looked ridiculous in the fight scenes. same thing for the fight scenes in "charlie's angels".

That's what makes these movies so hard to cast. finding that balance of beauty and brawn. Too bad Michelle Yeoh and Zhang Ziyi don't have universal features that would allow them to play these roles.

If I were in the Director's chair I would hire all Hong Kong talent to play the masked characters.

Maggie Chung as Sindel

Li Bingbing as Milleena

Kelly Hu as Kitana

Scarlett johanssson as Sonya Blade

all of these women are beautifual and can kick ass and look good in tight clothing.

View attachment 5898View attachment 5899View attachment 5900View attachment 5901

If I had to choose from relatively seasoned martial arts actresses I'd use

Katheryn Winnick as Sonya Blade

Yifei Liu as Kitana

Bernice Liu as Mileena

Francois Yip as Sindel

What I admire about Sam Tjhia as Kitana is that even as we speak she's taking acting classes to become a better performer because she takes it that seriously. She's only my age, 22 years old, but I've seen growth in her looks and acting.

So I don't mind her if we had to keep her.

gal-gadot-fastfurious-los-angeles-premiere-03nyJv.jpg

^^^Kitana ALL DAY...except, she aint got no Tits or no Ass, and its a damn shame too. :(

In fact, here is Kitana AND Liu Kang right here ;)
Fast-Furious-6-Trailer.jpg