How To Beat The A-Holes

Here's a cool video of Tom Brady breaking down Kung Lao. It figures though that I haven't fought a single Kung Lao online since I found this video haha.

I've found two easy ways to discourage Reptile players who just spam Elbow Dash. I main Sub-Zero so obviously dropping Ice Clones in his path is going to totally derail Elbow Dash when spaced properly. For other characters, throw out fast pokes. Crouch block the Elbow Dash and then use D+1, D+3, or D+4. Figure out which move is best for your character (Mileena's D+4 is insane) and throw them out. It'll really annoy a lot of spammers because it breaks their rhythm. Sub-Zero and Nightwolf both have a D+4 that gives them some frame advantage and thus those are very effective as well. Nothing major, but it's worked for me.

A more generic problem I hear is people who throw out teleports as constant counters. You throw a fireball, Mileena drops on your head. You drop an Ice Clone, Scorpion appears behind you and punches you in the head. The list goes on. This isn't for high level players, but it does work well on people who get overly zealous. If you're Sub-Zero and they teleport every time you use Ice Ball (DF3) then bait out their teleport. People throw "bait it out" around all the time without explaining so this is for the people who aren't sure of what it might entail. Hit Down and Forward like you're going to Ice Ball and a lot of overly zealous teleporters are just going to jump all over you. It's about now that you hold block instead of 3 and their teleport ends up netting you a full combo. It takes a bit of patience, but if you do it enough they'll either stop teleporting so much or you'll win lol. Sorry to those that already knew this, but I know it can be helpful to beginners who don't know it.

Noobs upknee is a easy way to punish sheevas stomp. Reptiles elbow dash flat out avoids it. Can kano upball it?

Raidens tele is a bit harder online since its one of the fastest in the game. Low pokes apparently help tho

I have a fairly noobish question, I get overwhelmed a lot by people that jump into me, punch and combo. I block, but never seem to get any advantage so when I try to return punches after they are done I end up taking another combo. Sometimes I can uppercut as they jump in, but often they get a quick punch in first which staggers me. What should I be doing?

It's hilarious to counter Sheeva's stomp with Quan Chi's teleport!

Sheeva: I'M GONNUH CRUSSHHH YEH!
Quan Chi: Not todaaayyy... *disappears into the ground*

For Raiden spammers, block a lot and uppercut as soon as he teleports.

If you time it right, it almost looks like Sheeva stomped him into the ground XD

I have a fairly noobish question, I get overwhelmed a lot by people that jump into me, punch and combo. I block, but never seem to get any advantage so when I try to return punches after they are done I end up taking another combo. Sometimes I can uppercut as they jump in, but often they get a quick punch in first which staggers me. What should I be doing?

Blocked jump-in punches actually give advantage to the attack. Weird. I've heard if you anticipate a cross up and counter with a neutral jump punch it'll bounce them right out of it and give you a full-combo. What I do is just jump backward and throw out a kick, it knocks them right out of their cross up.

You are correct but I think bbblp was being sarcastic.

90% of the Scorpions online are getting their ass kicked in the first round and when they have 5% health left they throw out a random X-Ray hoping to make a comeback on your full bar. LOL

So if 90% get their arse kicked online, then I guess I'm part of the latter 10% that doesn't. I admit I may be a Teleport spammer, but I still mix things up with juggles and mixups. I did get owned twice by a really good Reptile player and also a Mileena player who spammed teleports like me :O

Here's a cool video of Tom Brady breaking down Kung Lao. It figures though that I haven't fought a single Kung Lao online since I found this video haha.

I've found two easy ways to discourage Reptile players who just spam Elbow Dash. I main Sub-Zero so obviously dropping Ice Clones in his path is going to totally derail Elbow Dash when spaced properly. For other characters, throw out fast pokes. Crouch block the Elbow Dash and then use D+1, D+3, or D+4. Figure out which move is best for your character (Mileena's D+4 is insane) and throw them out. It'll really annoy a lot of spammers because it breaks their rhythm. Sub-Zero and Nightwolf both have a D+4 that gives them some frame advantage and thus those are very effective as well. Nothing major, but it's worked for me.

A more generic problem I hear is people who throw out teleports as constant counters. You throw a fireball, Mileena drops on your head. You drop an Ice Clone, Scorpion appears behind you and punches you in the head. The list goes on. This isn't for high level players, but it does work well on people who get overly zealous. If you're Sub-Zero and they teleport every time you use Ice Ball (DF3) then bait out their teleport. People throw "bait it out" around all the time without explaining so this is for the people who aren't sure of what it might entail. Hit Down and Forward like you're going to Ice Ball and a lot of overly zealous teleporters are just going to jump all over you. It's about now that you hold block instead of 3 and their teleport ends up netting you a full combo. It takes a bit of patience, but if you do it enough they'll either stop teleporting so much or you'll win lol. Sorry to those that already knew this, but I know it can be helpful to beginners who don't know it.

Instead of doing: D, F then Block, why not do the fake iceball tactic I do? It's back + BP, (don't charge it fully unless you're close) hold for a second and release. (NOTE: This is easily punishable if your opponent figures you out. So use at your own peril.) But hey, taking a few hits on the cheek to bait your opponent out is nothing compared to the BP x2, Freeze, NJ.P, Back + FP, BP, BK, EX Slide that you have in store for those fools! :p

it all depends on the advantage/disadvabtage they are at after u. Block there string and how fast the move u choose to do is. A good safe way to stop them from chaining is fast low pokes like d+3 then combo out. Good idea to learn ur fast strings

Kabal: I can't seem to find the upper hand against almost any Kabal i play, They Nomad Dash and low spike the whole time, So i don't now whether to block low or high, And you can't jump over the nomad dash. I usually do fine against spammers but Kabal is like my kryptonite.

The crossup JP seems to be my biggest defensive issue. I can see it and respond differently and cant get a consistent winner.

Uppercut - very seldomly I hit. Usually I will throw it a too early or when it seems to be timed correctly I eat the JP and the combo. Sometimes the game seems to not recognize they have jumped over me and the uppercut is excuted on the wrong side.

NJP- Most of the time if I leave the ground I take a JP off reaction time which I find hard to believe they are winning that battle everytime

Antiair- Numerous characters I just dont understand how I cant connect. I lose with Scorpions grab and CSZ dive kick (get hit first) I feel like Im puting in the input as quickly as possible for counter. One that I find most troubling is Barakas Chop Chop. This move was made precisely for those that like to jump in and I still eat the JP. I'd say 1 out of 3 Chop Chop land accordingly. It makes no sense.

fast combos- trying to punish after their combo nothing connects. They are able to jump over me before anything connects. Which baffles me with Scorpions and Cyrax's 111 combos. CONFUSED.

backwards jumpkick seems to work the best but even their I'd say my success rate is low.

Overall Im confused and need help.

I've found that X-Ray spammers do their X-Ray as soon as they get it, after you've done one on them, or as a recovery move. I can tell when someone is going to use a X-Ray 90% of the time.

Just need to practice a lot sounds like. Also keep in mind depending on your/their connection online the timing might not synch up to the visuals perfectly. That also takes practice.

Also csz dive kick isn't a very good anti air. If your getting crossed up maybe try a freeze counter instead

(whiny voice)
there is no such thing as A-hole tactics, Its called skill and zoning
I am a hardcore tournament player, So I would know and I could beat you up IRL too

Also keep in mind depending on your/their connection online the timing might not synch up to the visuals perfectly. That also takes practice.

I think this gets me sometimes, as I enter inputs that always seem a step behind, even against quite basic players. It is the only time I get frustrated with the game, when I hammer a response to a move I have seen coming a mile off, and still get hit by it.

I think we should discuss tactics on how to kombat against tactics that people usually troll with. I used to get owned by Sheeva's tele-stomp but when someone told me about avoiding it with Sub-Zero's ice clone, they hardly ever hit me with it now. Knowledge is power!

Share your tactics here. I'd like to get some anti A-hole tactics for at least every character. Tell me what character you are facing, you who use against them, and what the other person tends to do.

Sheeva: Usually people that play as Sheeva love to tele-stomp spam. The best way that I know of to avoid this is Sub-Zero's ice clone. Right when they are about to come down, clone away. It will either freeze them or at least get yourself to safety. You could probably also use Smoke and use smoke towards/away.

this whole thread (and title) is a bit insulting and rude. you call people a-holes because they do a move, in a video game, that you can't seem to counter...and as a result, you lose the match.

bravo...

maybe you should title the thread: "tactics to defeat characters in MK9" this way, you can have people contribute by stating who they like to use against who and why.

i don't know...i guess i just see this whole thread/title/rant/whatever it is you posted as nothing more than whining and complaining...something we get way too much of around here.

this whole thread (and title) is a bit insulting and rude. you call people a-holes because they do a move, in a video game, that you can't seem to counter...and as a result, you lose the match.

bravo...

maybe you should title the thread: "tactics to defeat characters in MK9" this way, you can have people contribute by stating who they like to use against who and why.

i don't know...i guess i just see this whole thread/title/rant/whatever it is you posted as nothing more than whining and complaining...something we get way too much of around here.

It's how to beat people that spam moves that are hard to beat because of it. I see a lot of people getting beat by Sheeva spamming tele-stomp, constantly pressing D U is not how the game is meant to be played. Along with many other situations.

You're just mad because people are going to figure out how to beat you easily.

u-mad.jpg

Don't clutter up this thread any more. If you want to discuss it further, PM me and we can talk all day about it.

It's how to beat people that spam moves that are hard to beat because of it. I see a lot of people getting beat by Sheeva spamming tele-stomp, constantly pressing D U is not how the game is meant to be played. Along with many other situations.

that depends how you look at it. your approaching form a good sports code of ethics in a competitive game.

competition doesnt always correlate to good sportsmanship, as such d,u is a acceptable method if it leads to a win. however, that method also has a rather low ceiling of success as it will only work vs people who cant deal with it (of which it is quite easy for most chars).

that depends how you look at it. your approaching form a good sports code of ethics in a competitive game.

competition doesnt always correlate to good sportsmanship, as such d,u is a acceptable method if it leads to a win. however, that method also has a rather low ceiling of success as it will only work vs people who cant deal with it (of which it is quite easy for most chars).

Yeah, that is very true. I'm not saying it's cheating, because obviously it's part of the game, but we still have every right to be able to discuss how to beat these tactics.

Yeah, that is very true. I'm not saying it's cheating, because obviously it's part of the game, but we still have every right to be able to discuss how to beat these tactics.

i agree, while i also agree a less inflammatory title would promote even more constructive talks, i also dont really care that much either :p

reptile dash=stand close enough that if he dashes he will run INTO you (for a baited block) this will annoy him greatly cuz you will have took away his main mobility (elbow dash) which can be punished by fast specials/pokes/uppercuts.

kano upball=punishable similar to reptile dash on block, most of them you can just bait it out, get close on his wakeup and get ready to block, dont jump his knives when your within upball range, etc.

noob shadowspam=well he is the best zoner in the game imo. charge has a large hitbox and gives frame advantage on hit and is fast and has little recovery (still unsafe upclose tho) slide is slightly slower and reg version doesnt give much if any advantage. hes pretty simple. dashlowblock/jump (dont get predictable with the jumps tho). dont jump when your within upknee range, his best bnb is slow but has great range, his other one isnt too fast, his 1,2 is very fast tho and it what i use to get out of being pressured.

lui kang mixup master=or any char that has low/overhead juggles, you HAVE TO learn what these moves look like to block them appropriately, its the only way. these chars are usually very rushdown, and they need those low/overhead juggles to do there job.

laos spin=bait it on his wakeup by getting up close, again, punishable by fast specials/pokes/upper cuts, i think full combos as well if you have a decently fast starting string. you CANNOT RUSHDOWN lao because of how fast spin is, instead you have to play it slower, more punishing and smart play then dialing in a combo.

sheevas stomp=depends on char, you can AA it on reaction with a few like kano/lao/noob, others can dash out.