Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

liukang-zbrush.jpgliukang-zbrush3.jpgliukang-zbrush4.jpgliukang-zbrush2.jpg

hi there, I just want to show you all the new liu kang model, I used gojira's model, but Adjusted it to fit my needs, also added the pants and change a little bit the shoes, scultp the hair and polypainted some parts of the body, also, smoothed the body a little bit cause gojira's model was to defined, hope you'll like it.

Wow Arq, that was quick...! It looks really good, but proportions are still right?

@MrMos3s: You were right, I meant the yellow. But I'm happy now with the results (as far as color goes), I think the second one is almost perfect, excepting for weird shadows in the red part. I think those sadows could be done in a more uniform and logical way.

Wow Arq, that was quick...! It looks really good, but proportions are still right?

@MrMos3s: You were right, I meant the yellow. But I'm happy now with the results (as far as color goes), I think the second one is almost perfect, excepting for weird shadows in the red part. I think those sadows could be done in a more uniform and logical way.

yes, I checked the proportions to match as close as possible, I didn't touch the face, well I scaled up the shoes cause they were so big

Arq, that body looks very nice. The hair is well done, but it just looks a bit too big to me. Here are some shots from a clip I found on Youtube.

Untitled-1.jpg

But this was obviously after the game, so maybe during it his hair was how you have it.

Shoes look fine, but the veins are too defined. I think you should smooth them out a little bit.

One more thing, for realistic skin, I find it best if you use the Standard brush with a Spray Brush tip with these settings: Placement of 1, 0 Color and a .5 Flow. I use alphas 40 and 47. I do a pale yellow pass, then a dark red with a low rgb intensity. Like at 5 or so. Depending on the skin tone, I add a lighter red and light brown (usually rgb setting of like 2 for both) When you have a good base add a darker brown pass. You should also add some moles and blemishes to really rush the realism. All this while periodically using Smooth with only rgb turned on. Make sure and have a good reference in front of you as well.

My two cents on Liu Kang's hair... the way the model is now *does* indeed look just a pinch "puffier" than it is in the game, but yeah, those photos from that TV show have Kang's hair too short. So yeah, perhaps just a *slight* bit condensed would do, but not as short as those photos. Basically keep the length behind the neck, but slightly "deflate" the hair on top of the head. But that's just me ;-) Also, those screenshots were taken closer to when the first game was coming out for the consoles (hence the Genesis footage behind him) rather than arcades.

Either way, the progress on Kang has jumped up quite considerably in just a short period of time! Looking great you two!

I don't know why some people see too much hair, I think it's great the way it is, if anything, the model might have LESS hair than the actual sprites.

Arq, that body looks very nice. The hair is well done, but it just looks a bit too big to me. Here are some shots from a clip I found on Youtube.

View attachment 4781

But this was obviously after the game, so maybe during it his hair was how you have it.

Shoes look fine, but the veins are too defined. I think you should smooth them out a little bit.

One more thing, for realistic skin, I find it best if you use the Standard brush with a Spray Brush tip with these settings: Placement of 1, 0 Color and a .5 Flow. I use alphas 40 and 47. I do a pale yellow pass, then a dark red with a low rgb intensity. Like at 5 or so. Depending on the skin tone, I add a lighter red and light brown (usually rgb setting of like 2 for both) When you have a good base add a darker brown pass. You should also add some moles and blemishes to really rush the realism. All this while periodically using Smooth with only rgb turned on. Make sure and have a good reference in front of you as well.

thanks gojira, I will reduce his hair a little bit, but what hattoris says is true, in this pictures the hair is shorter than the actual game. I will fix the vains and about the skin, I didn't touch what you have done... I just polypainted the hands, did you finish the chest, back and face before uploading it?

Arq, you may want to wait for more opinions on the hair before going too far with it, it may be the shape itself that needs slight altering, to me it seems his hair was similar to what you have.

la_luna, I don't know if you have any examples of the shape/length of his hair in-game but that would be helpful.

UPDATE: After searching around, I guess maybe it is just barely shorter, I'm working on gathering some examples right now.

UPDATE 2: Okay, here are the best examples I could find, hopefully this is sort of helpful.
liukang_samples.jpg
CLICK FOR LARGER/BETTER QUALITY (maybe :p)

Last edited:
Arq, you may want to wait for more opinions on the hair before going too far with it, it may be the shape itself that needs slight altering, to me it seems his hair was similar to what you have.

la_luna, I don't know if you have any examples of the shape/length of his hair in-game but that would be helpful.

UPDATE: After searching around, I guess maybe it is just barely shorter, I'm working on gathering some examples right now.

UPDATE 2: Okay, here are the best examples I could find, hopefully this is sort of helpful.
View attachment 4782

I don't know who to trust... cause obviously in the win pose and the intro video the hair is not the same.... I'm so confused:alberteinstein:

I don't know who to trust... cause obviously in the win pose and the intro video the hair is not the same.... I'm so confused:alberteinstein:

Haha just do what you think is best, sir.

Here is a mock up of Kano portrait. MrMos3s, when its all and well, I'll upload a .tiff so you can get a good alpha layer.

Also, did he have a beard? Or was it just pixelated shading? I know in the tour images, he had a light scruffy one. But in some of the sprites for 1, it looks like a full beard. Any thoughts?

24.jpg

EDIT: Anyone have any tips on properly unwrapping shirts? I usually get this stretched texture issue that you can see here. Its pretty ugly. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Last edited:

I think it's the same, all the different angles of these photos make it look different. I think that the length you have is very close and maybe even perfect, it may just be how his hair is laying. Maybe you could test your model in all of these angles shown in the images above and press the hair down closer to his head where necessary? Hopefully we will get some more opinions from the rest of the team soon.

View attachment 4782

Where did you find that standing sprite. It looks like the image used in his ending but only now we can see the bottom half. Oddly enough that image has the black shoes like in the MK2 intro story.

Here is a mock up of Kano portrait. MrMos3s, when its all and well, I'll upload a .tiff so you can get a good alpha layer.

Also, did he have a beard? Or was it just pixelated shading? I know in the tour images, he had a light scruffy one. But in some of the sprites for 1, it looks like a full beard. Any thoughts?

View attachment 4783

EDIT: Anyone have any tips on properly unwrapping shirts? I usually get this stretched texture issue that you can see here. Its pretty ugly. Any help would be great. Thanks.

portrait is looking good, but where are the teeth??? I got a question.. the liu kang model has the mouth closed And I can see your kano portrair is with the mouth opened, did you open it in zbrush or maya?? cause I want to make some faces in zbrush to use them as morphers but I need the mouth open cause I don't think these characters needs expressions, just faces and we can get more realistic face deformations if we do it in zbrush and export'em to max, maya or whatever

here.. hair shorter and waist wider, cuase before was not so close to ho sung pak's waist

liukang-zbrush.jpg

I green selected the faces around the mouth area, then red selected the ones I didn't need. I polygrouped the jaw so if need be, I can go back to it

Also, I didn't paint that much on him(Kang). At the time, didn't really have a good painting process

View attachment 4783

Looking great so far! love your background as well. If you don't think the Maya chrome effect will work good enough I could probably take care of it in photoshop, in that case, maybe you could tone down or disable his red eye before I get started on it.

My crit's:

As for the beard, I think it could be at least slightly more scruffy and/or darkened.

The light source that is more in front of his face could be a little brighter brightening him up a bit overall.

His shirt could connect with more of a V, covering a little more of his chest.

I think he's balding a little less in the original portrait.

Lastly, the chunk of skin (fat?) above his eyebrow I think could be 'very slightly' fatter/raised a little higher than you have it. (this might not matter at all, yours is probably close enough)

I could probably take care of all or most of what I mentioned above for the portrait, especially the eyebrow part, but I'm not sure if it would be noticeable or change his familiarity in the fighting sprites. I'll leave it up to you to decide what you want to leave up to me. ;)

Below is an illustration of some of the stuff I mentioned. It's a little sloppy, I was a little shaky with the mouse.

25.jpg

Last edited:
portrait is looking good, but where are the teeth??? I got a question.. the liu kang model has the mouth closed And I can see your kano portrair is with the mouth opened, did you open it in zbrush or maya?? cause I want to make some faces in zbrush to use them as morphers but I need the mouth open cause I don't think these characters needs expressions, just faces and we can get more realistic face deformations if we do it in zbrush and export'em to max, maya or whatever

here.. hair shorter and waist wider, cuase before was not so close to ho sung pak's waist

View attachment 4784

From that angle, my opinion is that the hair is done. If you can bring his pants up meeting with his belly button then I think the wider waist will be good too.

I think I'm done bothering you guys with critiques for now, thanks for the great work.

Last edited:
Where did you find that standing sprite. It looks like the image used in his ending but only now we can see the bottom half. Oddly enough that image has the black shoes like in the MK2 intro story.

Found it on google images, and it may actually be part of the MKII sessions (may be a photo taken during MK1 but brought back into MKII with slightly higher res) but it's a good representation of his hair in MK1.

The beard I'll paint on, I'll fix the lighting, and I'll fix the shirt.

The chrome look, I honestly didn't even try to mess with at all.

I'll paint on the hair, but may need to sculpt some on his side to give it a bit of thickness to it. I really want to avoid this, though. I'll try to mess with the hair system in Maya

Think I'll leave the rest to you. And yes, he'll have teeth