Is having rain In the game that Important?

Sleepy59

Just a discussion thread on finding out what makes rain so popular with everyone.
I don't get it personally but then again I stopped playin MK after da / deception so maybe he was really good after those games.

Is it that big of a deal if he's not in the game?

For me: no, I can easily live without.

But: he has his fans for whatever reason, plus it's the only character left out, so I guess he will be available in the near future as DLC, unless Boon & co. totally hate him and decided to never have him in again.

There are some oddballs out there that consider him their favorite character. He's never been important to the mythology of the series. He debuted (as playable) in the poor console ports of Ultimate MK3, and even then not as a proper character. His two strong appearances are in compilation games that are inferior to previous entries of their eras. He's broken as heck in MKT. His strongest appearance is in the underwhelming MKA. He finally became more than just another palette swap and received a decent back-story.

He receives so much attention due to what I dub Khameleon Syndrome. People complained about her not being in MKA due to that Pokemon-Collect-a-Thon illness many are inflicted with for all sorts of hobbies. That's why he seems popular. People are just driven towards him to fulfill and satisfy their affliction, Khameleon Syndrome. It's why occasionally you see disdain for the inclusion of Quan Chi over him. It opens up the realms for Khameleon Syndrome to encompass even more potentials while neglecting to fulfill Ultimate MK3's roster completion for MK2011 with Rain.

He certainly does have potential, especially seeing how Noob turned out. But then again, so does almost every other lackluster character that had a poor start in the series. BOOYA!! So do I think his inclusion is important? Nah.

Last edited:
I don't really care either way, never used him, but I'd say
chuck him in the game anyway just because he was in
a coupl of the 2D games towards the end there.

No. He never served any major role storyline wise and the only reason why people want him in is because he's just a different colored ninja to add to the collection.

wow so much hatred.. I hate stryker and I don't really show it THAT much.

a) why are you people so selfish to consider that? say your favorite is Kabal, how would you like it if they left HIM out and someone started a thread like 'hey is losing kabal in the main roster THAT big of a deal?' you didn't think of that now did you, selfish people?
b) the reason why we 'oddballs' love Rain is because we're fans of him, hence we see the potential he has to be developed in an amazing character. same goes for human Smoke, he's always been scorpion in grey but his fans love him and it doesn't take tons of IQ to realize we love him because we imagine the potential he can have
c) what's the deal with some people and the story of the game? the story of mk has always been cheesy, if they took it seriously enough from the top they'd come up with something good in mk1 and find a way to glue all the new characters ever since. and even if the story was good and solid, it's not the fans' fault Rain didn't play a major part in it. and last but not least, for GOD'S sake, when you guys who are so fixated on the story play mk, do you go like.. 'OMG I GOT KITANA NOW!! OMG I'M AN EDENIAN FEMALE AND KICKING THE ASS OF THE SHOKAN MALE KINTARO!!'. are you guys for real?! it's a fighting game, it's all about gameplay, not the freaking story

I may sound harsh but I hate how people are so selfish and insulting towards fans of characters their own brain can't handle. each character has fans, get over it. almost all post mk3 characters are boring as hell and yet all of them have fans, even mokap does. the people that love mokap may be idiots to you but they love him and it's their right and it's also our right to be pissed that basically the only non-boss characters left out of the game according to what's shown till now are Rain and cyborg Smoke.

So much hatred? Nah. We're emotionally unattached towards Rain. That's not hate. We're indifferent towards him and don't see much current value. On the other hand, you're very emotional and throwing a tantrum. Rain's barely even classic. The lightning move is better associated with Nightwolf now. The Super Roundhouse is such a broken unappealing move. The Frozen Rain Orb is his only decent distinctive move and they scrapped that in Armageddon. His identity (moves and otherwise) are not even consistent between MKT and MKA.

Rain's best appearance is in an underwhelming and quickly slapped together 3D compilation game. His resume is not very impressive. Tisk tisk.

Last edited:
wow so much hatred.. I hate stryker and I don't really show it THAT much.

a) why are you people so selfish to consider that? say your favorite is Kabal, how would you like it if they left HIM out and someone started a thread like 'hey is losing kabal in the main roster THAT big of a deal?' you didn't think of that now did you, selfish people?

Do you really would compare a third rate clone ninja who got his own look out of desperation 10+ years after his first appearance to KABAL??? One of the most original and just plain badass MK characters EVER?? :|

Seriously, if he gets the same treatment as Noob and Ermac, of whom I'm not that much of a fan either to be honest because I "hate" all those clone ninjas, he could be somewhat interesting, but as of now I don't see the need to have him in.

Can't say I'm his biggest fan but i wouldn't mind if he was in. Ninja don't kid yourself MK is about the story as well as gameplay and Rain didn't have much to do with the 1st version of it. Now with this being a retelling they could have found a way to make him apart of it so I understand some Rain fans. But if he is completely changed yall would be crying like sub-zero fans, so do you really want him in? Because he shouldn't look a lin kuei because he isn't. So where should NRS take Rain?

So where should NRS take Rain?
princepurplerain.jpg

Mortal Kombat has a famous actor with Johnny Cage. Now it's time for a Pop Star. Rain can sing and dance, using the power of pop to defeat his foes.

I think the main reason people are upset is that he is the only charcter left out from the MK games before MK4.

Personally i can see where people are coming from. But im not fussed, the roster is amazing how it is and "missing out" rain is not a big deal. He didnt have any big roles in this period of MK history. However, i am sure he will make an apperance as a very cool addition to DLC.

So much hatred? Nah. We're emotionally unattached towards Rain. That's not hate. We're indifferent towards him and don't see much current value. On the other hand, you're very emotional and throwing a tantrum. Rain's barely even classic. The lightning move is better associated with Nightwolf now. The Super Roundhouse is such a broken unappealing move. The Frozen Rain Orb is his only decent distinctive move and they scrapped that in Armageddon. His identity (moves and otherwise) are not even consistent between MKT and MKA.

Rain's best appearance is in an underwhelming and quickly slapped together 3D compilation game. His resume is not very impressive. Tisk tisk.

if you were indifferent towards him, your post would be like 'if he's in okay, if he's not okay again for me' and look at what you typed about him. again, it's not the fans' fault the mk team keeps him underdeveloped. as for the palette swap comment, everyone stopped being one in MKA, it wasn't just a Rain treatment in that particular game of the series. and as for the syndrome you typed about, it just shows that you just can't comprehend that some people love this character for him and not for the 'gotta have all of mk characters from the mk1-umk3 era'. and as for the story, jesus, do you get hyped up while playing and get into the flesh and bones of each character? if you do, this isn't being a hardcore fan, it's just insanity. it's a fighting game for god's sake.

Do you really would compare a third rate clone ninja who got his own look out of desperation 10+ years after his first appearance to KABAL??? One of the most original and just plain badass MK characters EVER?? :|

Seriously, if he gets the same treatment as Noob and Ermac, of whom I'm not that much of a fan either to be honest because I "hate" all those clone ninjas, he could be somewhat interesting, but as of now I don't see the need to have him in.

do you realize that your first paragraph is exactly how Rain fans feel? our favorite character is left out and we equally can claim he was left out over the XYZ character we dislike, hate or are indifferent towards. and as for the own look, it wasn't just Rain that was a palette swap all these years. it was freaking half mortal kombat. whose fault is that? ours? no, it isn't, so you can't use that as in 'kabal is original, your favorite character was a palette swap all these years'.

why is it so hard for you people to realize each character has fans and their fans have every right to be pissed if their favorite was left out? in this case especially, he's the only one with cyborg Smoke and the latter can't REALLY count since his human version is in

I would say rain could be very important, the traitorous heir to the throne of edenia...

I would also say with just that behind him hes a hell of alot more important, then stryker who yet again has the same shitty ass story...It baffels me why stryker would be in over rain

if you were indifferent towards him, your post would be like 'if he's in okay, if he's not okay again for me' and look at what you typed about him. again, it's not the fans' fault the mk team keeps him underdeveloped. as for the palette swap comment, everyone stopped being one in MKA, it wasn't just a Rain treatment in that particular game of the series. and as for the syndrome you typed about, it just shows that you just can't comprehend that some people love this character for him and not for the 'gotta have all of mk characters from the mk1-umk3 era'. and as for the story, jesus, do you get hyped up while playing and get into the flesh and bones of each character? if you do, this isn't being a hardcore fan, it's just insanity. it's a fighting game for god's sake.

I am indifferent. Read the topic title. "Is having Rain in the game that imporant?" I am answering under this context. The topic's title is not, "would you mind if Rain's in the game?" I did mention that he has potential just like any other lackluster character in the series. That potential is not exclusive to him though. Therefore his inclusion isn't important. I have nothing against him being included though.

People can appreciate the story and still love the gameplay. Being a "hardcore fan" is just a silly label for egotistical "elitists" to prop themselves up if used in that context.