The Official "Canon Or Not?" Thread

TehPredator

This is a thread where you can ask if it's canon or not. PLEASE use spoiler tags when answering a question.

Question 1. Source: MK Annhiliation, MKvsDCU. Is Raiden really the son of Shinnok and Shao Kahn's brother?

Question 2. Source: MKX Which Arcade endings are canon?

[MENTION=4889]BBBLP[/MENTION] Thanks for the answers. Too bad #1 wasn't canon, that could've added some plot twists.

Movies are adaptions of the games, so it makes no sense to say that they are canon. Same goes with the animated TV series, Konquest TV series and some of the novel ties in with the 1995 film. The MKX comics are canon because some things in the comics where reference in the game and other people like Ed Boon said that they are canon. The old comics written by John Tobias are canon since he is the creator of the series story. The arcade endings are canon if they are reference or shown in the next game. Do you have some "somewhat" canon endings like Noob-Smoke's ending in MKD.

Special Forces, MKvsDCU and Shaolin Monks are pretty much AU games and don't fit anywhere in the main timelines.

Movies are adaptions of the games, so it makes no sense to say that they are canon.

The film isn't canon, but it can introduce canon elements. Consider: Liu Kang/Kitana, Johnny/Sonya, Kano being Australian, Shang Tsung's "Your soul is mine," Raiden being forbidden from participating in the MK tournaments, the rivalry between Johnny and Scorpion. In MK9 the fight between Kitana and Liu Kang is practically lifted right out of the film.

The film isn't canon, but it can introduce canon elements. Consider: Liu Kang/Kitana, Johnny/Sonya, Kano being Australian, Shang Tsung's "Your soul is mine," Raiden being forbidden from participating in the MK tournaments, the rivalry between Johnny and Scorpion. In MK9 the fight between Kitana and Liu Kang is practically lifted right out of the film.

This is very true. The Kitana/Liu Kang and Johnny/Sonya relationships in particular sprang 100% out of the movies and hadn't existed in the game canon before then.

Derivative materials can sometimes make things that stick. The cartoon series, while also non-canon, introduced Quan Chi and had the "Ruby" character who was sort of a Jade/Tanya hybrid.

It's like how Harley Quinn and Renee Montoya were invented for the Batman cartoon but eventually became major DC comics players.

This is a thread where you can ask if it's canon or not. PLEASE use spoiler tags when answering a question.

Question 1. Source: MK Annhiliation, MKvsDCU. Is Raiden really the son of Shinnok and Shao Kahn's brother?

Question 2. Source: MKX Which Arcade endings are canon?

Answer 1: Unless NRS incorporates elements from MK based Movies/Shows/comics etc. into the games then it's not canonical. In my opinion they ancillary outlets for MK, including spinoffs like Shaolin Monks and MK vs. DCU are canon unto themselves until proven otherwise in the main series.

Answer 2: I think bits and pieces of the endings could become canon in MK11 like Shang Tsung's resurrection, Raiden attacking Outworld, Erron Black killing Jax, the original timeline still existing as a parallel to the altered timeline etc. etc.

With endings history has usually borne out that backstory elements prove canonical even if the ending isn't -- like Mileena being a hybrid clone (MK2), or Sindel's true life with Jerrod (MK3), or Tanya being in league with Shinnok (MK4), or Jerrod being one of the powerful souls in Ermac (MK9) which Vogel recently confirmed is canon on Twitter.

We can probably assume, therefore, that the stuff about Ferra/Torr's species and Erron Black's longevity deal with Shang Tsung is all canonical. Everything else is up in the air and we won't know until the next game. I do think Ermac, Jax, Kitana, Tanya, Kano, and Kotal Kahn's endings will become canon or semi-canon, though.