PC Version / General Discussion Thread

I posted about this earlier in another thread. Just to be clear: Pig refused to criticise NRS, and he chose his words very carefully as he is an active tournament player and didn't want to jeopardize his relationship with NRS. He said that we should be grateful that NRS keeps supporting the game and spends supposedly millions on GGPO and they stripped down their own code just to implement GGPO and overhaul the whole online code of the game. Pig also never said anything about that NRS chose GGPO over PC support but...

If you do the math: NRS realised early on that the online play in MKX is not good enough. They wanted to do something about it and apparently they have been working on it behind the scenes for months. Online play needed a a complete overhaul and cost a lot of money. In the meantime PC version turned out to be $h*t, needed constant patching and whatnot and it was still flawed after about 20 patches. So NRS needed money for GGPO, PC port took money away from them because of the need of patches. WB looked at the numbers, 500 000 fans were not enough for them to keep supporting the platform. GGPO took a lot of work and they had to strip down the code and rewrite it. And to implement it in the PC version, they should have done it ONCE MORE after it is done on consoles.

So there was no chance we could have the GGPO at the same time as the consoles. KP2 is another story but who knows? So it's possible that WB had plans about releasing an upgraded PC version of MKXL later but the whole situation was handled so badly that their reputation is beyond irreparable. But if they make enough money from the console versions of KP2 and MKXL to call it a success then what will make them to invest money into PC again?

I think pretty much everyone had that thought cross their mind. Yeah there is chance for PC to get MKXL as well. But let's look at the situation.

They will need weeks, maybe even months, to fully optimize GGPO on consoles after it's release. After that being done, MKX on PC will be pretty much dead. We will have SFV and KI. People will still remember that middle finger from WB/NRS. I don't know how many people will be still willing to spend money on MKXL PC version to begin with. I know die hard fans will do, some casuals. But again. MKXL would have to compete with FREE. How many people will choose to pay another crap load of money over free content? The only way they could get back at least some trust from people on PC community is if their released GGPO update on MKX for free. And that is not happening. So, for MKXL to come to PC, it is a super low chance. Very close to nonexistent.

And that's too bad because I'm not a fan of Street Fighter's combo system and KI is very far from my liking. Mutant raptors or a giant frogs are nowhere as appealing as a Scorpion or a Sub-Zero with their backstory and character design. Street Fighter 2 was the first fighting game I have ever played but as soon as I laid eyes on Mortal Kombat I was hooked right in.

I played Street Fighter later on a couple of times, I know who Ryu, Ken, Chun Li or Guile are but I don't know their backstory, I didn't invest time to play as them. On the other hand, I was an MK fanatic from MK1-MK4, then came the console only era and I missed all of those because I had no console to play on. I still played MK3 and UMK on MAME though. But when I realized that MKKE is coming to PC I was instantly hooked again. Whereas I didn't give a $h*t about SFIV coming to PC or any other fighting game.

Injustice was a unique case. I was a great comic geek back in my childhood and I like most of the DC characters. But when Injustice came out I wasn't really interested. But MKKE was so good that I gave it a chance later on when I could get a copy for a lower price. It felt so differently to MK that I sucked in it big time. Then I started to enjoy playing it with Solomon Grundy and slowly I was getting better at it. And when I understood the new mechanics I had almost enjoyed it better than MKKE!

So you are right in most cases. I can see people turn away from MK and going SFV or KI. But I don't see myself as a future SFV or KI player, I can't imagine that those franchises can be as appealing to me as MK. And I'm much more interested in Injustice 2 than in SFV or KI despite I'm disappointed in NRS and especially WB Games. I know it sucks but I can't change my taste just because NRS and WB let us down.

Last edited:
And that's too bad because I'm not a fan of Street Fighter's combo system and KI is very far from my liking. Mutant raptors or a giant frogs are nowhere as appalling as a Scorpion or a Sub-Zero with their backstory and character design. Street Fighter 2 was the first fighting game I have ever played but as soon as I laid eyes on Mortal Kombat I was hooked right in.

I played Street Fighter later on a couple of times, I know who Ryu, Ken, Chun Li or Guile are but I don't know their backstory, I didn't invest time to play as them. On the other hand, I was an MK fanatic from MK1-MK4, then came the console only era and I missed all of those because I had no console to play on. I still played MK3 and UMK on MAME though. But when I realized that MKKE is coming to PC I was instantly hooked again. Whereas I didn't give a $h*t about SFIV coming to PC or any other fighting game.

Injustice was a unique case. I was a great comic geek back in my childhood and I like most of the DC characters. But when Injustice came out I wasn't really interested. But MKKE was so good that I gave it a chance later on when I could get a copy for a lower price. It felt so differently to MK that I sucked in it big time. Then I started to enjoy playing it with Solomon Grundy and slowly I was getting better at it. And when I understood the new mechanics I had almost enjoyed it better than MKKE!

So you are right in most cases. I can see people turn away from MK and going SFV or KI. But I don't see myself as a future SFV or KI player, I can't imagine that those franchises can be as appalling to me as MK. And I'm much more interested in Injustice 2 than in SFV or KI despite I'm disappointed in NRS and especially WB Games. I know it sucks but I can't change my taste just because NRS and WB let us down.

And I completely understand. My first fighting game was Street Fighter 2. But after getting to play Mortal Kombat 2 at my cousin's place, I was hooked on it. MK4 was the first game I owned. I only got to play Deception, Shaolin Monks and Armageddon at friend's place (back when PS2 was the new shit). Because at that time I couldn't buy console games or let alone consoles themselves, I could only drool while knowing that my friends were playing MKD or Shaolin Monks on their consoles. So bought Street Fighter 4 when it was on sale. And got hooked on it. But once MK9 came out, SF4 went to the back shelf. The messiah has come! The holy saint! The message has been delivered! As a freelance artist who just started I had barely any customers, so my finances sucked. Even so after working my ass off, I finally bought MK9 at full price. Dream come true.

So we got kinda half assed MK9 PC port. But I wasn't really dying about that. I mean MK on PC! After all these years!

So once I saw MKX and saw that PC logo was next to consoles, I was hyped as hell. So had to work nigh shifts for MKX as well. And well... we all know the rest what happened.
MK lore was always more interesting for me than SF. It was deeper, more sophisticated, no cartoony characters.
Combat also always felt heavier than in SF. While I preferred more flashy combat of SF with all those energy attacks, I liked bone crushing in MK even more.

But personally... as much as I like MK world and all of its characters. I am not willing to crawl through mud and get shit thrown in my face just so I could get to play MK on PC. So I'd rather go with Street Fighter V from now on. It was a nice run with MK, but coming back to it would be the same as selling your own dignity for 50$.

Well maybe one day I will make a game which has both SF and MK elements in one. But right now I am just gonna enjoy SFV and work on it for EVO.

As for KI or Injustice.. Not really into KI gameplay, while Injustice world is just boring for me. Never was into heroes. While Batman was one of the few characters, which picked my interest, I still couldn't get over that delusional "no kill rule" of his.

And that's too bad because I'm not a fan of Street Fighter's combo system and KI is very far from my liking. Mutant raptors or a giant frogs are nowhere as appalling as a Scorpion or a Sub-Zero with their backstory and character design. Street Fighter 2 was the first fighting game I have ever played but as soon as I laid eyes on Mortal Kombat I was hooked right in.

So you are right in most cases. I can see people turn away from MK and going SFV or KI. But I don't see myself as a future SFV or KI player, I can't imagine that those franchises can be as appalling to me as MK. And I'm much more interested in Injustice 2 than in SFV or KI despite I'm disappointed in NRS and especially WB Games. I know it sucks but I can't change my taste just because NRS and WB let us down.

For reference, I think "appealing" (likable) is the word you're after here, not "appalling" (awful).

Anyways, I feel the same way about SF, although I did like KI quite a bit back in the arcade days. SF to me just doesn't have to overall depth and fleshed out design of MK. Yes, I understand the fighting system is nuanced and deep, but I just don't like its style. The game has practically been the same the last 20 years, and everything about it aside from the fighting system is generic in my opinion.

I hate SF graphics from SF4 and on. Amount of effects is on Marvel vs Capcom lvl, chracters do stupid faces when get hit with ultra, and every male looks like roided up beefcake with feet bigger than head.

well apparently sf5 is getting fcked in the ass as well
good thing i didn't buy it
dodged a bullet

Did I see that right? So you can buy Krimson Ermac on Steam but not KP2, not XL? I mean, if there will be no balance patch and/or GGPO on Steam, why should any of us buy this stuff to support the FGC we can be no longer part of as we can't practice since our game version is outdated?

Boon recently confirmed Mac will get MKX, so there is a small chance the KP2/XL will follow suit to PC if it makes a full fledged release there.

http://www.designntrend.com/article...ctor-reveal-mac-pc-kombat-pack-2-possible.htm

i hope to god they bring MK XL to PC. I've held my ground and havent bought a console as much as I love MK and want to buy one. I refuse to buy a console for just one game just because the company decides to screw us over. Plus, as much as I REALLY want to, I'm not gonna buy a console and MKX again just for 4 extra characters :/

^ I hear ya. It's gotta be heading here sooner or later, since it seems most multi plat games usually do show up on PC even without prior day one versions. I hope they're just taking the time to get it right, and will make a surprise update along with the Mac release. It was probably delayed because of the fallout with High Voltage. Sounds like they even added stages like the Pit with this new update, so it would be a shame if paying customers were disregarded for something this big.