Is Kabal Jewish? Or maybe even Ed Boon?

jbgames

Any chance his name was taken from the "Kabbalah", otherwise known as an oral form of Jewish teachings? When you also think of the storyline of how Kabal was attacked by Shao Kahn's "extermination squads" it draws some parallels to the Nazis persecution of the Jews. And if Kano was actually part of those squads it would make some sense, being he's more or less a skinhead, and "evil." Or is this all conicidental and I'm going way too far out on a limb? It's kinda peculiar though when you think about it.

That is an interesting argument. I'd love to hear what the MK team has to say in response. I always thought that Kabal got his name either because it sounded cool, or it was in response to his getting maimed by Shao Kahn's army who was a cabal bent on merging Earthrealm with Outworld.

That is an interesting argument. I'd love to hear what the MK team has to say in response. I always thought that Kabal got his name either because it sounded cool, or it was in response to his getting maimed by Shao Kahn's army who was a cabal bent on merging Earthrealm with Outworld.

More of a curiosity than an argument. I never thought of it til I saw something about the increasing popularity of studying the kabalah with some celebrities these days. It does seem like a bit of a stretch though now that I think of it.

In his MK3 ending they say he's "the chosen one", which maybe makes a nod to the notion that Jews are God's "chosen people." If there is any truth to this it sure is a discreet way of going about it.
I still think it's probably only coincidence though. Kabal being involved in the same gang as Kano the skinhead and going back and forth from good to evil. Plus he's all disfigured. There would be far more appealing/less controversial ways to depict a Jew in a videogame.

*sigh* yet another MK mystery.

On a side note, I wonder if Boon's sister looks anything like the character Tanya, whom he named after her.

another thing i noticed in kabal's vitory pose, all the way in the bottom of the hooks there is a spark which kinda looks like the star with six points.... hmmmm

Well, definitely no worse than any notion of the various -alities in MK2 that turned out to be bogus. :bird: