How will story mode play?

Kickinwing420

After playing some chapters in MK9's story the other day, I came to a conclusion...

I hate the way it plays.

It was cool for a while, but I just don't think that exact formula can work again. The whole cut-scene/fight thing got pretty old by the time I got to injustice. There was nothing there besides cut-scenes and fights.

I don't know if ill be that impressed with the story if it plays that way again. I feel like there needs to be something more in order for it not to feel stale. I really didn't like the story mode in Injustice. It just felt really boring to me. I'm worried the casual fans may feel this way with MKX if it's the same old cut-scene/fight formula again. It's been done 3 times now (MKvsDC, MK9, Injustice). It's definitely time to change it up.

I remember an interview where Ed Boon said something along the lines of "I don't know how we'll make another MK after this" .
Maybe there's something to that. Because that's kind of an odd thing to say. If they can make an MK after Armageddon, then I don't see what would stop them from making another game after MKX.

My theory is, the story mode will allow you to "Choose Your Destiny". Everything from choosing where to go next, to choosing whether or not to kill your opponent after a fight.

Could you imagine how badass that would be? Choosing who to kill, where to go, who to fight. It would create so much replayability. And it could explain Boon's comment about making more MK games. Because deciding what ends up canon and what doesn't could cause massive problems.

What do you think? Any better idea's on how to improve story mode?

I don't think so. A story mode like that would require much more development time, to the point where it would be the focus of the entire game.

Not even Telltale Games do that, even though it appears that way.

MKvsDC story formula is still young and could use improvements, but I don't think that's the right direction for it. I don't think the casual audience would mind seeing the same thing again either; it's enough to see their favorite characters interact and go on adventures. And even if the MKX story is badly regarded, it's only one element of the entire game, so it probably wouldn't be such a huge detriment to the series popularity and sales.

I think an improvement would be throwing out the one-character-per-chapter system. It has its benefits, but it doesn't serve the characters very well in the long run.

I don't think so. A story mode like that would require much more development time, to the point where it would be the focus of the entire game.

Not even Telltale Games do that, even though it appears that way.

I don't think it'd be that hard would it? It's not like you'd get that much freedom...Just to the point where you get a couple different versions of the story.

Telltale isn't the best example, even though they really did step it up at the end of the second season of The Walking Dead.
They're probably facing the same problem Boon was talking about. They have no idea how to pick up the game after letting somebody choose the ending like that. It creates two completely different stories. They more then likely have to just pick one and call the other ending non canon.

MKvsDC story formula is still young and could use improvements, but I don't think that's the right direction for it. I don't think the casual audience would mind seeing the same thing again either; it's enough to see their favorite characters interact and go on adventures. And even if the MKX story is badly regarded, it's only one element of the entire game, so it probably wouldn't be such a huge detriment to the series popularity and sales.

I gotta disagree. I think people are growing tired of the movie format they have going right now. I love MK but that story mode would have no replayability if it weren't for my diehard love of the lore. I really like DC superheros and everything, but i'm definitely a "casual" fan. Seeing my favorite superheros interacting in a cut-scene with cheesy dialog wasn't cutting it

I think an improvement would be throwing out the one-character-per-chapter system. It has its benefits, but it doesn't serve the characters very well in the long run.

On that, we agree.

No way that this will be the last MK game. NRS made MK popular again after the series was view as "the franchise that should have died after the 90's" during the later half of the 2000's. They make too much money off from MK for them to end it. They rebooted the series so that they can take the series into a new direction. After Armageddon, they had no choice to reboot it since Armageddon killed off everyone expect for Shinnok, Shao Kahn, Taven and Liu Kang's ghost. Rebooting also introduced new fans into the series and brought back older fans as well.

Nobody said it would end. Boon just said "I don't know how we'll make another MK game"

Implying that the next MK game will be difficult to make for whatever reason.

I would prefer a more well designed and in-depth Konquest mode. But it doesn't seem like we'll be getting that for MKX. I'm pretty sure they've already confirmed that we're getting something more like MK9's.

However, A LOT of people have been asking for a return to Konquest Mode, including interviewers. So maybe, just maybe, we'll get that for the next game.

I think it will be MK9's style. As Injustice had some interactive things beyond "cutscene-fight", I'm sure MKX will expand this.

I don't think it'd be that hard would it? It's not like you'd get that much freedom...Just to the point where you get a couple different versions of the story.

It just doesn't make sense given the progression of the franchise. They've been gutting the game's single player of non-canon or pseudo-canon elements at every opportunity, first through Konquest, then by going full cinematic. I could see them go back to some kind of RPG/adventure mode with MK11, but branching narrative? Not bloody likely.

Like others have said, the chapter/character divide is one huge area of improvement I'll be looking for in MKX.

Personally, I think it was great in MK9. I only replayed it once since 2011 though, and of course it wasn't as much fun the second time, but then I'm also not the kind of person who can rewatch a movie tons of times without getting bored. Still, I'd rather they focus on just making the story interesting and with better dialogue etc, and add replayability elsewhere and they seem to be doing that with the new challenge towers and online factions.

A new conquest mode in the next game could be awesome though!

"Only cutscenes and fights" What exactly are you expecting out of a story mode? Mortal Kombat's story mode is nearly unrivaled for fighting games.

If you get bored, it's because the story doesn't interest you. It isn't that you need mini games. And Choose Your Destiny style should really only be in Arcade mode. Because it would complicate the main story too much and nobody would know what is canon.

I know there isn't much else you can do, I just personally think it's getting a little stale. There's gotta be something besides quick time events to change things up. "Choose your destiny" was just all I could think of :laugh:

If you get bored, it's because the story doesn't interest you.

Nah. I actually decided to watch the rest of MK9's story on youtube. I just got sick of those pointless fights.
They feel way to forced. I feel like if something was in the middle to break it all up, fights might not have to be forced into the story at every corner.

Last edited:
I don't see why they would change it up when it has been widely praised by reviewers. Obviously they're doing something right.
Are you saying that you're bored through the first run through or that you're bored when you replay it?

If it is like in MK9, I hope they put some NPC to fight agaist too. Some generic Lin Kuei cyborgs, generic Tarkatans, generic Brotherhood of Shadows warriors or whatever. They could even make you fight 2 or 3 of them in endurance fights. Kicking Reptile's and Kano's asses with every other character again would get old fast IMO.

I was ok with how MK9 played but i wish it was just more than playing the Heroes & Scorpion!

- I would like to get to play both sides, showing what happens during BOTH sides during the story mode.

Here me out first; maybe how it was set up like MKvsDC:
-You have one side the Heroes and play their story side
-You have one side the Villains and play their story side

Just my 2 Cents!!!!

I don't think there's any question as to whether the cut-scene/fight formula will work again; it will. The fans love it and it's something that helps the franchise to stand out among its competitors.

For instance, looking forward to the MKX story mode has driven me completely insane. Truly, I should be remitted to a mental institution and cared for by top mental health professionals. :marchmellow:

That said, I agree it could benefit from *some kind* of switching it up. That MK9 fight between Jax and Johnny for example, I mean wtf, contrived much? I like the idea of being given the opportunity to fatality certain opponents (like with Scorpion in MK Mythologies) and having that decision affect the story...

I don't think QTEs would cut it though and I am deathly opposed to the return of Konquest mode. With respect to those here who feel differently, I cannot fathom why fans seem to dig it so much. For me it was just a 3D Tekken Force Mode; an empty fetch quest generator devoid of any elements that could make an MK adventure game something awesome. Maybe one day we'll get MK Fire and Ice, or some other new installment of Mythologies similar to God of War. But if it's not going to be a stand alone adventure game, then squeezing a half-baked overworld into a fighting game with little to no interactivity as a means of travelling between fights is just an awful idea IMO.

Last edited:
Are you saying that you're bored through the first run through or that you're bored when you replay it?

MK9 is still fun to this day. It's just some of those fights get to me. We all know after Jax fought Cage, nothing would come of it. Or when any of the good guy's fought each other. I felt like they sacrificed some of the story just to fit in some more fights.

I'm sure ill be able to replay MKX like crazy, because i'm obsessed with MK. I just want something new. Doing away with the chapter system would be plenty for me. It'd probably get rid of those pointless fights. Because they won't worry about shit like "Jax needs more fights".

I was however, bored with Injustice on the first run. I like DC and most of the superheros in that universe, but I would consider myself a "casual" DC fan. And as a casual fan, I was pretty bored on the first playthrough.