Hacking MK1

Hmm...didn't they give someone a square wave kick in a later game? I wonder what the limit is on how much can be edited...could we finally have the super ninja I always wanted as a kid that freezes, shoots a spear, slides, teleports, throws fireballs, and his fatality is freezing followed by a toasty? 'Cus that'd be awesome.

I can hack about anything in this way, but the problem is it's not easy at all to find what each bit of code does without a LOT of time wasted. It's hard to inject lines of code, but easy to change the values of the code that runs. If Ed never posted the bit of code earlier, I wouldn't have been able to trace and find it in the disassembler.

He said he's also looking for the Reptile MK1 condition code and the Toasty MK2 condition code. But I doubt we'll get much more than that and not near enough to make true major changes to the game.

I doubt I'll get anywhere close to that. Reprogramming the game is very hard, and what you aren't seeing in the video is time freezing as I stop the game's CPU and enter new commands. It's just fun to play around with.

Like when/if Ed posts the Reptile or Toasty code that he said he would, I can then look into patching the game via MAME cheat files to do stuff like:

1) Always fight Reptile on the Pit Stage in MK1, no matter shadows or double flawless/fatality. (may be a cheat for this already)

2) Make Toasty appear constantly in MK2

In MAME you can currently get Reptile's speed, but not his color or his moves. It's a bit harder since he's not a real character in the roster. His color should be possible, but moves would be much harder to remap without a real source edit.

I hacked up the DOS version of mk1 a few years ago.

Using DOSBox / CheatEngine

I managed a lot of simple stuff:

Ignore Reptile Fight Requirements
Turn Scorpion green...
Map Select
Difficulty Select/Freeze
God mode
One Round Matches
Disable Timers

My crowning achievement was:
an upper-cut while on the map "the pit" always knocks
the victim into the pit regardless of health or rounds won.
aka an instant victory to whoever lands the first upper-cut

I was able to take control of Goro and Tsung
but doing anything other than walking around caused a crash
(edit: Goro has no animation for moving backwards)

www.aqrit.cjb.net

Last edited: