Future of MK

I still have fun playing Injustice 2 despite it basically being the Atom and starfire show at this point. I remember people like Tom Brady shitting on it calling it Injustice 1.5 at launch but at least NRS built the game on what came before instead of just change for the sake of change. There's nothing wrong with perfecting and evolving a established formula. As long as the game feels fresh and not stale. I've tried to force myself to play MK11 again but I drop it every time. It's just not fun to play compared to the games they made before IMO.
That's pretty much the story of everyone with a functioning braincell that has played MK11.

The game is shallow and if you're not into grinding random towers for individuals colors, you will get bored quickly. I remember it took me 3 days to figure out Frost gameplay and I did that without putting effort. I have played over 3000 matches with Raven in Tekken 7 and still haven't drawn out her full potential.

I liked Injustice 2 as well. Maxed out couple of characters, had fun with challenges and story. Loved the customization system. Sure it ain't MK9 kind of fun nor Deception, but still managed to enjoy the game. Can't say the same about MK11. Sometimes I get a temptation to install it, but when I remember I would have to put 100+GB on my SSD for it. Hell nah.

I remember people like Tom Brady

That guy disappeared into shadows. Haven't seen him since last year.

There's nothing wrong with perfecting and evolving a established formula.

That's what NRS doesn't get it. Instead of establishing a foundation and perfecting it, they instead keep remaking entire system for each game, which actually piss off people more, than if someone fumbled a new feature or mechanic.

Last edited:
I liked Injustice 2 as well. Maxed out couple of characters, had fun with challenges and story. Loved the customization system. Sure it ain't MK9 kind of fun nor Deception, but still managed to the game. Can't way the same about MK11. Sometimes I get a temptation to install it, but when I remember I would have to put 100+GB on my SSD for it. Hell nah
Thats another reason I don't touch MK11. Injustice 2 gold edition only takes up 36 Gbs compared to MK11's 100Gbs Unless a game is a massive open world like red dead 2 or GTA 6. There's zero reason for any game to be that bloated.

I wish MK wasn't so dead between the games. WB can easily hire other studios to work on spin off games. It would help keep things fresh and active for the series besides animated movies (I do like those). I haven't been caring about MK lately seeing that I've been playing other fighting games in the meantime like KOF15, SFV: CE, etc.

Thats another reason I don't touch MK11. Injustice 2 gold edition only takes up 36 Gbs compared to MK11's 100Gbs Unless a game is a massive open world like red dead 2 or GTA 6. There's zero reason for any game to be that bloated.
Amen to that. Especially knowing that Injustice 2 and MK11 share almost the same amount of content. They also have Multiverse mode, that is MK11 Towers of Time. Cinematic story mode? Check. So... what the hell is their problem?
Not to mention there are far more customization options in Injustice 2, than in MK11.

Completely absurd.

I wish MK wasn't so dead between the games. WB can easily hire other studios to work on spin off games. It would help keep things fresh and active for the series besides animated movies (I do like those). I haven't been caring about MK lately seeing that I've been playing other fighting games in the meantime like KOF15, SFV: CE, etc.
NRS has a talent for making a game that can only stay alive for a year at best.

If game had more depth, if characters had way more options to play around with, if there were more ACTUAL additional content. Like Challenges, Puzzle games or hell. Kombat Chess. People would stick around.
People grinded Deception until Armageddon launch and even after that, as there were secrets to find. People actually looked for that.

But for MK11? You have 16bit writing "Hey. MK11 still has secrets to be found!"
Nobody cares. MK11 is a semi mobile game at this point. What secrets? A hidden tower with additional icons to win? Yeah. Hard pass on that.

SF6 apparently got the right idea. Added a lot of mini games and online semi open world for people to play. Realized that people tend to stick around if there is a PLACE FOR COMMUNITY TO GROW. Those guys won't have to worry about people screaming for content, for a while. If done right, people will be busy having fun.

Those side games like MK mythologies, Shaolin Monks and Jax special forces (lol) that midway used to release in between the main MK games are long gone after WB got their greedy mits on the MK ip. It's all about mobile shit like onslaught now. WB only care about spending the least while making the biggest return. It is what it is.

If we get a MK12 announcement, I bet the game won't be out until 2024. MK12 is going to have to deal with SF6 and Tekken 8 next year. Not to mention, the next game will probably be another reboot and there's usally a five year gap with a reboot.

MKDA: Not a reboot with the story, but the gameplay was totally rebooted. You had a five year gap between MK4 and MKDA.
MK9: 5 years after MKA (I'm not counting MKvsDC)
MK12: It would be five years since MK11 came out in 2019

If we get a MK12 announcement, I bet the game won't be out until 2024. MK12 is going to have to deal with SF6 and Tekken 8 next year. Not to mention, the next game will probably be another reboot and there's usally a five year gap with a reboot.

MKDA: Not a reboot with the story, but the gameplay was totally rebooted. You had a five year gap between MK4 and MKDA.
MK9: 5 years after MKA (I'm not counting MKvsDC)
MK12: It would be five years since MK11 came out in 2019
The biggest issue for NRS right now, is that the longer they keep people waiting the bigger the expectations.
So if they double down on bringing mobile style mechanics to the game and pushing same grindy nonsense, they will be in for the trouble.

While I am still skeptical about SF6, one of my friends that got Closed Beta access has been singing praises about the game. So if the game delivers on what it showed, people will use SF6 as the new standard. Cause in the past MK could get away with bullshit, as no one else did more than them. But if they basically make MK Mobile on PC, while other fighting games semi open worlds? OOF. Not even MK brand will suffice this time.

I think it been said before but it's crazy ironic how SF6 are now implementing modes that MK was showcasing during the PS2 era. It could be yet another reason NRS held off on announcing their game. How the mighty have fallen.

Last edited:
For the story, I wonder if they will do time skips or have set in the past. Having it set during the days of The Great Kung Lao would need them to make new characters based on older ones. Fans probably won't like that.

I think it been said before but it's crazy ironic how SF6 are now implementing modes that MK was showcasing during the PS2 era. It could be yet another reason NRS held off on announcing their game. How the mighty have fallen.
Amen to that. "We want to allow others to shine". Suuure buddy. More like, you saw what competition is bringing, so you got cold feet. Can't get away with making Towers of Time 2.0

For the story, I wonder if they will do time skips or have set in the past. Having it set during the days of The Great Kung Lao would need them to make new characters based on older ones. Fans probably won't like that.
This is modern NRS we're talking about. After chapter 1 they'll do away with the setup from the previous game and go in an entirely different direction.

This is modern NRS we're talking about. After chapter 1 they'll do away with the setup from the previous game and go in an entirely different direction.
Wow cowboy. Going straight for facts. I like your style.

I mean if I think about it.
MK9: Set up Shinnok.
MKX: 90% of teenager drama mixed in with family drama. And finally we get to see Shinnok again, only to get his ass kicked 5 minutes later, with "Go Go Bullshit powers". Dark Raiden is set up.
MK11: Dark Raiden vanishes at the very beginning and Kronika is pushed in everyone's face.
MK12: We see one chapter of Kung Lao. He dies to Onaga or something, then Liu Kang probably pulls Raiden move and sends warning to old cast and they fight Onaga and the fight reboots entire MK universe. AGAIN.

Last edited:
I still have fun playing Injustice 2 despite it basically being the Atom and starfire show at this point. I remember people like Tom Brady shitting on it calling it Injustice 1.5 at launch but at least NRS built the game on what came before instead of just change for the sake of change. There's nothing wrong with perfecting and evolving a established formula. As long as the game feels fresh and not stale. I've tried to force myself to play MK11 again but I drop it every time. It's just not fun to play compared to the games they made before IMO.
Still hammering MK9 here and there. Shitty inputs, hilariously bad balance, slowdowns as soon as you get a chance to do combos, and miniREOs... doesn't matter.

Also MK2 Source Code got "leaked". Some unused moves and graphics but other than that I doubt anyone is going to go through hell to get it to work. So if there's MK2 Source, means there's MK9 Source, means....

troll2-arnold.gif

I think it's safe to say a MK9 remake/remaster is a lost cause at this point. It wouldn't surprise me at all if MK12 was the only game NRS releases on consoles this entire generation.

I wouldn't be surprised if MK12 is in development hell in the first place.
According to the past reports, I got an impression that most of the games, were made under intense conditions, where everything was held up by only hopes and dreams. Crunches, management hell, etc.
So I wouldn't be surprised if Covid messed them up or they themselves don't know what and how to proceed.

Still hammering MK9 here and there. Shitty inputs, hilariously bad balance, slowdowns as soon as you get a chance to do combos, and miniREOs... doesn't matter.

Also MK2 Source Code got "leaked". Some unused moves and graphics but other than that I doubt anyone is going to go through hell to get it to work. So if there's MK2 Source, means there's MK9 Source, means....

troll2-arnold.gif

LOL just saw this last week. In this video they guy posts MKII code on AI behavior. Guess they're called drones instead of AI or CPU.

What a surprise….A old arcade game built to munch quarters all day cheats to get them! The more things change the more they stay the same.

What a surprise….A old arcade game built to munch quarters all day cheats to get them! The more things change the more they stay the same.
I mean to be honest. We got HELLA good at those games. To the point, you could realistically beat entire game on one quarter. And I mean even as kids, a lot of us realized that games were made unfair, just to get more coins out of us, hence beating entire game on one coin was Legendary event.

Now people pay 70-120 bucks to be handheld through entire game, while hoping that one of 50 million bugs won't kill their game or PC.

This also has been old news since the game came out.... I think they were called Midway Walkers or something like that. All they do is walk towards you and do completely impossible moves, like throwing while you sweep.