Future of MK

Yup, and I said this same shit in the old thread, too.
NRS doesn't give 2 flying turds for Anniversary dates like people think they do.
This whole 30th Anniversary Twitter thing has just been a huge circle jerk to tell the fanbase "Hey, we're still here," but people run with anything and go "Oooh, Armageddon is leading up to the VGAs." NO, it leads up to a big ole bag of nothing.......just like the lackluster 20th and 25th anniversaries.

I can guarantee that 5 years will go by though and and some random asshole on the MK subreddits will go "oH, bUt ThE 35th AnNiVeRSaRy Is MuCh BiGgeR bEcAuSe "35" Is ThE aMoUnT oF tImEs I jErK iT wEeKLy aNd MoMmA's LuCkY pOwErBaLl NuMbEr."
On one hand, it shows just how sad the current situation is. People are so desperate for content, that they look for any crumbs and leftovers, just to get something. Like some sort of addicts.

Aha. But here is the problem.

MK11 got the backlash for it, but look at its sales. It sold a bank and from what I heard, it has officially surpassed MKX sales. So execs will look at this and will be like "Well it works! Let's double down on it!"
Sure it made money but you said yourself that MK11 cost a lot more to make compared to Injustice 2 and MKX. I doubt their return was that much more than they projected it to be. If they continue with this trend they will ultimately lose money and a lot of good will from their older fans/casuals that they claim to cater to. You can only piss off your audience so many times before people stop caring anymore. It's basically burning the candle at both ends.

On one hand, it shows just how sad the current situation is. People are so desperate for content, that they look for any crumbs and leftovers, just to get something. Like some sort of addicts.
It's just beyond stupid at this point.
Wonder how much it'll finally take before the people who are in denial finally realize that "big news" to Ed means something completely different?
"But, but... Ed promised this time that the 30th anniversary will mean something big."
Uh-huh, just the same way that someone that keeps asking for help when they do not need it always cries wolf 🤷‍♂️

So apparently Ed Boon has confirmed that MK12 will continue MK11 storyline.
Which likely either means (A) a soft reboot where (coincidentally) a majority of Liu Kang's allies are the klassic characters and we get UMK3 / Trilogy version 3.0 or (B) NRS grows some cojones and actually does something with the Shang Tsung ending and we get a cool 3D era story.

This fucking fanbase only cares for the klassic era of characters, though, so I don't see option B ever happening.
At least I'm not holding my breath for that shit.
People bitch and cry to Boon for characters like Rain and Mileena, meanwhile characters like Reiko, Havik, Hotaru, Daegon and Sareena which most either had an MKX comic storyline or MKX cameo (Sareena) continue to sit on the motherfucking sidelines.

Boon's essentially confirmed that people whining about Mileena is what brought her in, given that in 1 of the replies in his more recent AMA on Twitter he said that the reason that she wasn't on the main roster for MK11 is because they wanted to rotate her out of the roster to give 1 of the other 100 characters a chance. So, essentially, NRS wanted Mileena to sit out to give other characters a chance to shine but the fanbase constantly begs for the same shit, thus here we are.🤷‍♂️

Which likely either means (A) a soft reboot where (coincidentally) a majority of Liu Kang's allies are the klassic characters and we get UMK3 / Trilogy version 3.0 or (B) NRS grows some cojones and actually does something with the Shang Tsung ending and we get a cool 3D era story.

This fucking fanbase only cares for the klassic era of characters, though, so I don't see option B ever happening.
At least I'm not holding my breath for that shit.
People bitch and cry to Boon for characters like Rain and Mileena, meanwhile characters like Reiko, Havik, Hotaru, Daegon and Sareena which most either had an MKX comic storyline or MKX cameo (Sareena) continue to sit on the motherfucking sidelines.

Boon's essentially confirmed that people whining about Mileena is what brought her in, given that in 1 of the replies in his more recent AMA on Twitter he said that the reason that she wasn't on the main roster for MK11 is because they wanted to rotate her out of the roster to give 1 of the other 100 characters a chance. So, essentially, NRS wanted Mileena to sit out to give other characters a chance to shine but the fanbase constantly begs for the same shit, thus here we are.🤷‍♂️
Well. That just created a whole problem for them. Cause if you give whiny cunts one win, then they will want them all.

Well. That just created a whole problem for them. Cause if you give whiny cunts one win, then they will want them all.
It's been happening since MKX, though.
They've been giving into the whiny cunts since then.
During MKX for what people thought would be a KP3 they were contantly pestering Ed Boon / NRS for characters like Baraka (non-playable fight), Rain, Jade, Noob Saibot, Nightwolf, Sindel (non-playable fight), Shang Tsung and Kabal..... Shocker! each one of them made it into MK11 :cautious:

So.... MK11 got an update where all they've basically done are a few bugfixes, microtransactions aka store update and censored Skarlet's Communist costume.

The catch?

Download is 80gb. What can I say?

#HYPE!!!!

It's been happening since MKX, though.
They've been giving into the whiny cunts since then.
During MKX for what people thought would be a KP3 they were contantly pestering Ed Boon / NRS for characters like Baraka (non-playable fight), Rain, Jade, Noob Saibot, Nightwolf, Sindel (non-playable fight), Shang Tsung and Kabal..... Shocker! each one of them made it into MK11 :cautious:
Well they literally dug, their own grave here. They could be a normal studio and would make one long running title, instead of 20 and crying about people being entitled for demanding more content.

Also making the game as realistic as possible visually is also counter-productive.
Requires more development time for characters/assets and realistic games tend not to age well, while stylish visuals can stand fine for decades.

I am telling you. They have no idea what to do with MK. They just sell the game on Nostalgia only and then it comes to story/character decisions, they just throw darts and see where it lands.

Most if not all the Biggest fighting game franchises bank on Nostalgia. Tekken 8's (for example) big reveal showed Jun Kazama possibly returning after a long absence instead of new characters. Nostalgia's not the problem IMO. It's how you handle it and thats where MK suffers. NRS needs to stop ignoring the 3D era fans. It's not that hard to make both fan bases happy. NRS just need to focus on making a fun fighting game first. MKX had the right idea but the rush down 50/50 coin flipping meta and variation system turned several people away.

Last edited:
Most if not all the Biggest fighting game franchises bank on Nostalgia. Tekken 8's (for example) big reveal showed Jun Kazama possibly returning after a long absence instead of new characters.

And I'm fine with the return of ______________ (klassic / nostalgic / legendary) character type of reveals, but a nice balance is what I'd want.

It's how you handle it and thats where MK suffers. NRS needs to stop ignoring the 3D era fans. It's not that hard to make both fan bases happy. NRS just need to focus on making a fun fighting game first. MKX had the right idea but the rush down 50/50 coin flipping meta and variation system turned several people away.
This is exactly what I was trying to get at.
I mean, I'm not wanting the klassic characters to go away, but some balance between MK1 through MK3 and the 3D era would be nice and the best example that I can think of (even though there were only 15 slots at the time) was with MK4.
You had 8 original characters with 6 from MK1, Jax and Reptile and you also had new another 6 new faces (at the time) with the likes of Quan Chi, Tanya, Reiko, Fujin, Kai and Shinnok.
Jarek was left out on purpose from my list as he didn't feel like an original character until Armageddon, as the MK4 version was a literal Kano re-skin.

Conversely, you have MK11 in which a majority of the starting roster is either klassic or 5 from MKX, then you have the 3 new ones and that thing that they decided to call "Frost" as unlockable.
DLC-wise it was 6 klassic characters, 5 guests and.....oh hey, here's this character that you asked us for 8 years prior (Fujin) around the time of MK9.

I'd be more concerned about the gameplay than the roster. MK9 for me is by far the best NRS fighter, even with so many problems. No matter what the characters are, or the presentation, if the game plays like ass (which is what MK11 was to me), it's going to die off again. Content is the other thing, we've been getting less and less.

NRS should simply stop fucking around and work on the mechanics that worked. Or just say fuck it and give us some single player game like SM, but we all know what WB has to say to that...

Last edited:
Yes, but MK9 was the reboot game so that was expected to have the MK1 through UMK3 characters and arenas, but gameplay-wise I preferred MKX, personally.

I'd be fine with a SM-type of game too, but apparently NRS and WB would rather have mobile shit like Onslaught.
Could see why from a business perspective as MK Mobile had something stupid like 150+ million users at some point, but from a fan perspective I could give less than a flying fuck for anything mobile.

Again...I think that the fact we got no announcement at the VGAs shows that WB only cares about the short term right now. Mobile games can be made in a fraction of the time that AAA console/PC games take not mention way cheaper. NRS are probably dragging their feet in pre production until WB gives them the green light/proper funding. Most AAA games nowadays take 5 years to get out the door so if they had a game but later decided to start over. That could be years added to development time. It's the only thing I can come up with that explains this delay.

Last edited:
so if they had a game but later decided to start over. That could be years added to development time. It's the only thing I can come up with that explains this delay.
Yep. Which is a possibility if they started Injustice 3 then somehow back-tracked to MK again.
With this whole WB buyout and Henry Cavill no longer being Superman and Jason Mamoa no longer being Aquaman when James Gunn takes the helm, I wouldn't be surprised if DC stuff that wasn't already almost done (in general - gaming uncluded) was halted until WB / DC got their collective shit together.

With MK they can pump out the same 10~11 repeat klassic characters on the main roster from MK9, MKX, and MK11, swap in another 4 or 5 klassics on the main roster and sell another 6 via DLC it'll still sell because people will eat up the same repetitive shit, game after game.
Rinse and repeat. A good portion of the people in the fanbase will eat anything up willy-milly because as long as x, y or z character is in the game that's all that unfortunately matters anymore....even if it's a broken mess, people will come around like flies on shit and buy 11 million copies.

Edit: apparently Gal Gadot isn't out as Wonder Woman with James Gunn at the helm.

Last edited:
I'm sure that the recent passing of the legendary Kevin Conroy (voice actor of Batman in the last two Injustice games ) played a role in NRS holding off on Injustice 3 as well. It makes me wonder if they do return to Injustice, will it be a sequel or a reboot?

Imo, a sequel would make sense for Injustice.
Haven't played the Injustice 2 story mode in a long time, but I could have sworn that it was left on a cliffhanger, to close the arc in a future game.

Also, as for the whole Gunn / DC thing, apparently he confirmed that Gal Gadot isn't out (and I'll edit that), so maybe she has a chance to return as Wonder Woman without Patty Jenkins' shitty writing.

Aye. Injustice 2 ended on an open ending. Also unlike MK, they at least wrote a decent story for Injustice. Both 1 and 2. And comics were good. You can tell, where the creative energy went.
MK11 feels like a side gig compared to Injustice 2.

I still have fun playing Injustice 2 despite it basically being the Atom and starfire show at this point. I remember people like Tom Brady shitting on it calling it Injustice 1.5 at launch but at least NRS built the game on what came before instead of just change for the sake of change. There's nothing wrong with perfecting and evolving a established formula. As long as the game feels fresh and not stale. I've tried to force myself to play MK11 again but I drop it every time. It's just not fun to play compared to the games they made before IMO.

Last edited: