Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

I don't get this, Goro was fine even if not totally accurate. What is wrong with Shang Tsung? Seems like a wasted effort, doing the work over for minor improvements.

Doesn't mean it can't be done. I do the same thing, but still.... just saying.

I'll work on something, then think of a way to make it better. Start over and never finish...

I hear you Bleed. I'll be honest when I say I felt Goro and Shang could be much better. If Im not happy with the way something is looking and it is within my power to fix it then Ill do my best to get it to where Im happy. Goro had a classic case of pancake chest. His muscles werent popping out enough and his sculpt details were not high enough. I made it worse when I textured him with repeating dirt pattern. It was unnacceptable by my standards. But I learned a lesson so that Ill get it right on the first try next time. Im redoing. Shang because his wrists were too fat and his arm length was wrong. Im also trying to improve my cloth sculpting. Also shangs cloth lacked all the details it should have. So I see this as a valuable learning experience, not a waste of time.

Normally I'd agree with Bleed on this one, but new Goro model looks so amazingly accurate to the original that I'll just keep my mouth shut and anxiously wait for another update :) Can't wait to see Shang either. Mortal Gojira did a great job on his head/face, I wonder if you can top that. Also, would it be better to do Liu Kang first and modify him to Shang, since they are both played by the same actor?

Normally I'd agree with Bleed on this one, but new Goro model looks so amazingly accurate to the original that I'll just keep my mouth shut and anxiously wait for another update :) Can't wait to see Shang either. Mortal Gojira did a great job on his head/face, I wonder if you can top that. Also, would it be better to do Liu Kang first and modify him to Shang, since they are both played by the same actor?

I used Lui Kang's face as a template but he had so much makeup on that his original features are pretty obscured. I did take some liberty with his neck though adding in a a bit of jowles and some lose neck skin that an older man should have. He should look 70-80 years old. One other thing that bothered me about Gojira's work on Shang's face was his skin tone was too vibrant and filled with life. Shang has white skin as though he were a walking corpse.

Started on the jump kick, it'll be ready soon.

JumpKick_prev.gif

The jump kick is working now in mugen. I'm doing another pass for the cloth animation before posting a render, It should be up in a little bit when max is done rendering.

Last edited:
Great render...just think that the toes of his kicking foot need to face towards the camera a little bit more to add more emphasis on the snapping motion of his jumping kick.

I think the render as close to the sprite/render of the MK1 as you can get. And I think you did a great job in terms of duplicating the image with the render. My point is that, even in the original render of MK1. If you look at the motioning of the jump kick, his mid-air crouching pose is excellent, but then when he snaps/thrust into the kicking motion. His foot looks like he's stepping down on his opponent instead of sidekicking his opponent. Most flying side kicks are thrusted into from mid-air, but then when snapping into a sidekick the toes are pointing away to minimize any damage from the kick to the face or whatever it maybe. Most of the point of emphasis or impact comes from the side of the foot or the base end of the foot like the heel because they're the strongest part of the foot while the toes are the most vulenerable part of the foot. And even in the original sprite of MK1, the end pose of the flying kick looks to expose the kicking foot's toes too much.

All the MK Roster's Flying Kick & Sweeping Mechanics.gif

A better textbook mechanic of a flying kick would be Johnny Cage's flying kick as you can see his foot is pointed sidewards in the end point flying pose to minimize damage to the toes.

Initial Shang Tsung just to show progress. Skin shader needs tweaking and his skin needs to be more pail. He doesn't have balls yet. Wanted to show off the beard and hair though so you can see what I've been working on for the past few days. Also working on the clothing and all that.

SHANG_RAW.jpg

Initial Shang Tsung just to show progress. Skin shader needs tweaking and his skin needs to be more pail. He doesn't have balls yet. Wanted to show off the beard and hair though so you can see what I've been working on for the past few days. Also working on the clothing and all that.

SHANG_RAW.jpg

Wow, looking real nice, I assume his soulpatch is in-progress? lol