Suggestions for next patch after EVO 2011

Spawn16

I was watching EVO 2011 and i was thinking that it was a great show.Also it pointed(in my personal opinion)that some characters need to be nerfed.Especially kung lao.He should have less frames advantage,and maybe reduce the speed of some of his moves,or make them more punishable if you block them.For example scorpions teleport and spear if avoided,then its very easy to punish them.Instead raidens torpedo if blocked it goes too far away from you(except if you are in the corner).Something like that.Also i was thinking about the corner situation.In older games it took only one combo in corner and the game pushed you back.Now its almost absent,and it happens only when you uppercut the opponent.I think that we saw too much rush techuniques,and pressure all the way but in every fighting game in this level it goes something like that.I would like to see less speedy rounds,with more caution.As i said before these are just thoughts after watching the tournament,post answers and suggestions but please dont start flame wars for nothing

i totally agree about less speedy rounds and more caution. but i also understand that these are rush-down characters and that's how they should play. i don't like it but it's a legit part of the game :/

Stryker EN roll toss has armor and goes completely through projectiles (much like Jade's flash), Stryker's grenades have less startup and less recovery, Increase speed of Stryker's b3f2 string, Have b122 the second hit hits mid, Have b2 hit special mid

Reduce the hitbox size of KL's spin (i know NRS will never do this but i can dream)

Baraka's b31 string completely safe on block

Those are all the suggestions i have so far.

i totally agree about less speedy rounds and more caution. but i also understand that these are rush-down characters and that's how they should play. i don't like it but it's a legit part of the game :/

I agree 100% with you,but one suggestion would be to tone down the rush-in techniques and buff them in projectiles so they dont rely only on speed and rush-combos.A good example are strategy games.I prefer Dawn of war 2 and RUSE way more than starcraft 2(great game).I prefer them because you dont have to give 300 commands and clicks a minute but only 100.The good part is that with the decrease in this size you make more that really counts.Like chess.Every fighting game goes like Call of duty.Faster and bigger.Thats not the way they are meant to be.They can be more,and give more options

Stryker EN roll toss has armor and goes completely through projectiles (much like Jade's flash), Stryker's grenades have less startup and less recovery, Increase speed of Stryker's b3f2 string, Have b122 the second hit hits mid, Have b2 hit special mid

Reduce the hitbox size of KL's spin (i know NRS will never do this but i can dream)

Baraka's b31 string completely safe on block

Those are all the suggestions i have so far.

Good ones,stryker wasnt in my mind but i havent used or seen him a lot.About kung lao spin i was thinking maybe to reduce his frame advantage,so the players thats using it needs to be more precise when doing it.Its very safe right now

The only REAL problem with Kung Lao IMO is that impossible to block on reaction his. 2,4 into low hat mix up with 2, 4, 1+2. that mix up looks like it has to be guessed 50/50. There is no real reaction. And the problem is if you anticipate the overhead finish the low hat hits and resets Kung with a dash in more pressure advantage. that mix up is definitely the hardest mixup to avoid IMO. Kung Laos spin is fine IMO. It is 100% punishable on block.

That's the only real problem IMO. I propose just changing the second hit to something not low.

I don't believe kung needs a strong nerf. Just a baby one. And I enjoyed the fast pace action. I do not want to watch too much dancing back in forth like I saw in tekken. Or occasionally street fighter. Mk rushdown is really entertaining to watch for me.

The only REAL problem with Kung Lao IMO is that impossible to block on reaction his. 2,4 into low hat mix up with 2, 4, 1+2. that mix up looks like it has to be guessed 50/50. There is no real reaction. And the problem is if you anticipate the overhead finish the low hat hits and resets Kung with a dash in more pressure advantage. that mix up is definitely the hardest mixup to avoid IMO. Kung Laos spin is fine IMO. It is 100% punishable on block.

That's the only real problem IMO. I propose just changing the second hit to something not low.

I don't believe kung needs a strong nerf. Just a baby one. And I enjoyed the fast pace action. I do not want to watch too much dancing back in forth like I saw in tekken. Or occasionally street fighter. Mk rushdown is really entertaining to watch for me.

Baby nerf.I dont think that anyone demands big nerf in him,but slight changes because right now in the right hands he is unstoppable.He has answers for everything.The problem with rushdown is when is 100% of all the action you see.Game speed is good but some characters are way too good for rushing in.I understand that they are better than others but it shouldnt be the only option.Tekken has too much forth and back.Something more varied would be perfect.As for the mortal kombat spektacle it has to do with the sound effects,its gore,beautiful special moves effects,and its lore generally.So many memorable characters.Here it the best hands down

Definitely some Stryker buffs

Cyrax obviously...

Sheeva Ground Pound cancel (don't think they'll give her much so I won't even get into everything else)

Agree with Critical about KL's low hat mix up. Sometimes you might as well just sit there and let him do it.

Ermac's Ex Port should be safe on block like Scorpion's.

I know Quan Chi has good mix ups, but why they ever took that safe jump in away from his sky drop is beyond me. Give that back to him, and allow him to use the Boost some other time than during a fatality.

All I can think of right now...

You can get a boost during trance.

With my experience with quan, the only way to boost during trance is to go over the opponent, to the end of the screen and boost after an ex skull throw, and that requires meter, plus there is always a risk, worst special move in the game. Would you like to share another way it can be done, I may be missing out on something important lol.

I think one reasonable patch for the weaker characters can be a fair exchange of their dis/advantages for new ones.

I see what you mean, lol, why do I feel that KL' 50/50 mix up simply craps on all of Quan Chi's mix-ups (up 3 is very slow and unsafe, back 3, 1+2 only requires adjustment.
Sindel has a fair couple of 50/50s, able to follow up with her overhead flip kick or low fireball after a combo string. Sadly even having those options, they do very little damage, and most importantly... THEY DO NOT CAUSE STAGGER, this allows KL to pressure with 50/50 over and over again.

With my experience with quan, the only way to boost during trance is to go over the opponent, to the end of the screen and boost after an ex skull throw, and that requires meter, plus there is always a risk, worst special move in the game. Would you like to share another way it can be done, I may be missing out on something important lol.

I think one reasonable patch for the weaker characters can be a fair exchange of their dis/advantages for new ones.

I would prefer a nerf for some characters.I think that combo damage is high at the moment.My ideal combo damage would be 15-20(maximum)percent for normal 4-6 hit combos and for good players that can continue the string another 5%.This way good players are rewarded but do not own every match against a mediocre player.They have the advantage but they can loose sometimes.I hate when i get cornered i dont have bar for breaker and just watch the same combo 3 times being repeated and annihilated.At least the extra 5% i mentioned should be from something different and not repeating the same combo string.Liu kang and smoke are good examples of this.Another solution would be when you get in the corner after 20-25% damage the game pushes you away like old school games

Definitely some Stryker buffs

Cyrax obviously...

Sheeva Ground Pound cancel (don't think they'll give her much so I won't even get into everything else)

Agree with Critical about KL's low hat mix up. Sometimes you might as well just sit there and let him do it.

Ermac's Ex Port should be safe on block like Scorpion's.

I know Quan Chi has good mix ups, but why they ever took that safe jump in away from his sky drop is beyond me. Give that back to him, and allow him to use the Boost some other time than during a fatality.

All I can think of right now...

One complain about sheeva.I see some players keep spamming her teleport slam.Not so easy to avoid all the time,and they keep pushing with it.She needs buffing in other moves and nerfing this one,or make it easier to punish or avoid.I laughed one time i watched a sheeva face against noob.He kept spamming teleport and he was always in defence with his anti air special.It was so funny to see her not being able to do something about it.I know good players mix their play style but until now only one sheeva i faced was at that level.All the others spamming one move.Like the first days with smoke and raiden.Tornado and teleport punch spam...In king of the hill i was so bored when i met such players...

this game is one of the fastest mk's ever made they will never change the speed or rush down techiniques this is how the game is made ****in fast.

One complain about sheeva.I see some players keep spamming her teleport slam.Not so easy to avoid all the time,and they keep pushing with it.She needs buffing in other moves and nerfing this one,or make it easier to punish or avoid.I laughed one time i watched a sheeva face against noob.He kept spamming teleport and he was always in defence with his anti air special.It was so funny to see her not being able to do something about it.I know good players mix their play style but until now only one sheeva i faced was at that level.All the others spamming one move.Like the first days with smoke and raiden.Tornado and teleport punch spam...In king of the hill i was so bored when i met such players...

I'm not sure who you use, but it's very easy to avoid. Don't let spamming ruin it for you. She needs that stomp, because she's so slow. Sheeva doesn't need any damage buffing for sure, but she should at least be able to cancel the Ground Pound with dash. There's other things like the Anti-Air grab too. REO made a good list including how F+2 should be overhead. Sheeva definitely does not need any nerfs though.

they need to either make barakas spin as good as kung laos or kung laos spin as useless as barakas. other than kung lao the game is perfectly balanced imo. wouldn't mind one more patch to try to fix the online too.(unrealistic)

I agree with this 100%.

REO was completely dictating the pace of the matches in the finals, and the ONLY thing PerfectLegend had to fall back on was that mix-up, and it's what made him win. Once he got in close, and started abusing it, it was all about luck for REO in guessing which way to block. REO was clearing the better player, who got beat by getting put in a guessing game in a few matches.

Kung Lao ideas are perfect! ^

Cyrax shouldn't be patched, he has hard kombos to do but they are devastating. Without the Bomb Trap he is already much more balanced.

Reptile should maybe have his dash easier to punish because people spam that. They come close by using it like three times and then attack you. If you block it they can still attack you before you can. So maybe just make it easier to punish or make the distance less.

Kano should have his Up Ball to be toned down to less damage as Cage's Flip Kick. Because they patched it that it was equal but people spam it, so I think it should be lowered again. He already has two other Ball moves. Soooo yeah.

Cyrax shouldn't be patched, he has hard kombos to do but they are devastating. Without the Bomb Trap he is already much more balanced.

He's getting patched. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Paulo confirmed it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.