The ninjas are the most popular characters

I played MKT and I didn't know anything about the story besides endings to me they are ninjas always have been always will be they could put Sub Zero in knight armor and I would still call him a ninja

I think the same than you man, by look they all have ninjish things, ninja hood and mask, ninja-like pants and boots.

Maybe Scorpion, Sub, Smoke, Noob and Rain are the most obvious ninja looking characters but the rest have their own (Rep and Ermac). Besides their origins (the pallet swapping) set them as ninja and that legacy still remains.

I played MKT and I didn't know anything about the story besides endings to me they are ninjas always have been always will be they could put Sub Zero in knight armor and I would still call him a ninja
I think the same than you man, by look they all have ninjish things, ninja hood and mask, ninja-like pants and boots.

Maybe Scorpion, Sub, Smoke, Noob and Rain are the most obvious ninja looking characters but the rest have their own (Rep and Ermac). Besides their origins (the pallet swapping) set them as ninja and that legacy still remains.
No nope. Earlier from the times of MK1, Ninjas were considered something cool and unique due to the people's lack of knowledge about who they are and what they do. For them anyone with a mask and garbs are Ninjas, and you my friend are still following that logic. In the present day, where there are a plethora of games having Ninjas in them, and also the media depicting them and delving into their actual concept much more deeper, people are more aware of who Ninjas actually are and they ARE NOT just people wearing masks and garbs but are trained assasins, proficient in the art of Ninjutsu. But of course in today's world, Ninjas are just martial arts practitioners as opposed to the times of feudal japan where in fact, there were actual ninja assasins. Thus going by this FACT, only characters on Mk that are closest to being Ninjas are Sub-Zero,Smoke and Scorpion. But since Sub Zero has said several times he and his clan are not ninjas, that just leaves Scorpion.

Last edited:

Exactly they were ninjas in MK1 and to me they will stay that way I even considered MK3 Sub Zero a ninja even though he didn't wear the normal outfit, he was still Sub Zero

No nope. Earlier from the times of MK1, Ninjas were considered something cool and unique due to the people's lack of knowledge about who they are and what they do. For them anyone with a mask and garbs are Ninjas, and you my friend are still following that logic. In the present day, where there are a plethora of games having Ninjas in them, and also the media depicting them and delving into their actual concept much more deeper, people are more aware of who Ninjas actually are and they ARE NOT just people wearing masks and garbs but are trained assasins, proficient in the art of Ninjutsu. But of course in today's world, Ninjas are just martial arts practitioners as opposed to the times of feudal japan where in fact, there were actual ninja assasins. Thus going by this FACT, only characters on Mk that are closest to being Ninjas are Sub-Zero,Smoke and Scorpion. But since Sub Zero has said several times he and his clan are not ninjas, that just leaves Scorpion.

You guys have absolutely NO IDEA of what a ninja is, but anyway...

We are happy being ignorants lol

Shaking_head.gif

It shows. . .

Yes, finally someone agrees with me, this classics are boring, the MK9 versions are so much superior imo.

For someone who hates the classic outfits and would like MK9 to be rid of them, I find it weird that the reason you think they're ninjas is due to the looks of their classics. You think the MK9 outfits are superior, yet seem to be stuck in the past. In the present time, scorpion is a ninja, SZ, Smoke, Reptile, Ermac, etc are not.

No nope. Earlier from the times of MK1, Ninjas were considered something cool and unique due to the people's lack of knowledge about who they are and what they do. For them anyone with a mask and garbs are Ninjas, and you my friend are still following that logic.

You are right, this picture of a ninja became the archetype for it to westerners.

Flying Jinko said:
In the present day, where there are a plethora of games having Ninjas in them, and also the media depicting them and delving into their actual concept much more deeper, people are more aware of who Ninjas actually are and they ARE NOT just people wearing masks and garbs but are trained assasins, proficient in the art of Ninjutsu.

Agreed, but you forgetting their important role as spies and saboteurs.

Flying Jinko said:
But of course in today's world, Ninjas are just martial arts practitioners as opposed to the times of feudal japan where in fact, there were actual ninja assasins.

In today's world Ninjutsu is trying to recreate the material arts teachings, that were thought in the 12th - 17th century of course todays teachings aren't the same as the old ones due to the loss of training scriptures or the non existence of such. Don't forget that ninjas or shinobi (male) or kunoichi (female) were mainly spies. Not to mention their primary role as spies and saboteurs. Not all ninjas were used as assassins but they had the training. Beside this I agree with you ;)

Flying Jinko said:
Thus going by this FACT, only characters on Mk that are closest to being Ninjas are Sub-Zero,Smoke and Scorpion. But since Sub Zero has said several times he and his clan are not ninjas, that just leaves Scorpion.

Evaluating by the MK story as basis you are right :)

I know they are not technically ninjas but back in the palate swap days I called them ninjas and I have ever since

If Boon has always called them ninjas then they will always be ninjas.
I am quite aware of the history of the ninja and the mythology of the ninja vs. samurai (these are not related to MK)

For someone who hates the classic outfits and would like MK9 to be rid of them, I find it weird that the reason you think they're ninjas is due to the looks of their classics. You think the MK9 outfits are superior, yet seem to be stuck in the past. In the present time, scorpion is a ninja, SZ, Smoke, Reptile, Ermac, etc are not.

Retro skins are for nostalgia only. Nothing more nothing less.
Why the hell aren't Sub Zero, Smoke, Retile, Ermac, etc. concidered ninja anymore, in your opinion? Pray tell.

I think if people stopped trying to rim the ninjas all the time then it would give other characters a chance to grow, or atleast these people might try paying some attention to the "non-ninja" part of the roster.

We don't need more duplicated costumes for the same overused characters, we need outfits for Shang Tsung, Jax, Sheeva, Quan-Chi, amongst others. I don't want more palette swaps and there is no way I will pay for them, like I didn't pay for the Original Palette swapped, cheap copy Klassics.

I think if people stopped trying to rim the ninjas all the time then it would give other characters a chance to grow, or atleast these people might try paying some attention to the "non-ninja" part of the roster.

We don't need more duplicated costumes for the same overused characters, we need outfits for Shang Tsung, Jax, Sheeva, Quan-Chi, amongst others. I don't want more palette swaps and there is no way I will pay for them, like I didn't pay for the Original Palette swapped, cheap copy Klassics.

The ninjas hu.. hem...caugh...will always be the focal point of MK. That's just the way it is.
I would love to see new or klassic skins for Shang Tsung, Quan Chi, Kano and some others. Don't know if it will happen.

The ninjas hu.. hem...caugh...will always be the focal point of MK. That's just the way it is.
I would love to see new or klassic skins for Shang Tsung, Quan Chi, Kano and some others. Don't know if it will happen.
They are not Ninjas, just look at the previous posts as to why, me as well as others have explained clearly. Sure you can call them Ninjas just for namesake but they actually are not. And just because someone calls some people Ninjas, that doesnt automatically make them Ninjas LOL, what kind of logic is that?

Ignorance is bliss my friend, you will learn about its rewarding benefits soon enough ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
Pedantry aside, if you say "MK ninja" people will know the types of character you are talking about, even if historically your description is off.

Pedantry aside, if you say "MK ninja" people will know the types of character you are talking about, even if historically your description is off.
Yup they will, even purists will refer to them as Mk Ninjas for ease. But that wasn't the subject matter for discussion here.