List of ALL Character Candidates for MK 10 or DLC

Matt Wilson

Under the assumption that NRS is going to release another DLC chracter set for the holiday season, or that MK 10 is going to presumably take place during the MK 4 era, here is a list of chracters I'd like to see, one's that will not make it (as confirmed by Ed Boon) and changes that need to be made to certain characters before they are released.

Mk 4 Era

Kai - Designed to be 'quick and nimble' in the likes of Liu Kang, Kai had a lot of variety to his moves because he was designed (and looked like) an African Tribal warrior. However, is insertion as a Shailon Monk and affenity with fire made him too closely resemble Liu Kang. I'd like to see Kai make a come back, but with a more 'tribal' stance in regards to fighting, including moves that use either those hooked swords he had, or the Lightning Staff that Raiden gave him.

Jarek - Although he eventually gained his own move set in Armaggedon, Jarek was a cookie-cutter knock off of Kano (since Kano was absent in MK4, he was essentially the character that took his place). With a similar move-set and backround, Jarek would need an entire design over-haul before I'd allow him back into the series. A unique story-line (Kano's student seems too cliche) and an even more unique move-list would seperate him from his predacessor, giving him the individuality he needs.

Fujin - He was announced as a possible canidate for the 4th character DLC, and even if he didn't make it in this set, I'd really like to see him in either MK 10 or another DLC set they may or may not release. With a unique story line and the powers of the wind backing him, he'd be a perfect fit in the current line-up, and a good counter to the goody-two-shoes Raiden.

Reiko - Another possible canidate for DLC, (and can also be seen fighting in the backround of the Pit II day-time stage) Reiko was a chracter shrowded in mystery, and had A LOT of speculation surrounding him in regards to him being/not being Shao Kahn. Although it was later proven he wasn't Shao Kahn, the goofy 'easter egg'-esk move set they gave him in later MK titles kind of ruined his character persona, and I'd like to see him returned to his MK 4 roots, ninja stars and all.

Tanya - Gymnastic, twisty wrestling moves is what defined her the most and seperated her from the other female ninjas. Although kind of a Jade knock-off, she gained her own reputation and personality, and would be a welcome addition to the sausage fest that is Mortal Kombat. (also announced as a possible canidate for DLC content)

Shinnok - Although Shinnok will definentely be a boss in MK 10, I never considered him 'boss-like material', only because his powers, even as an elder god, and his fighting skills were not as epic as previous bosses like Shao Kahn. Although he would make a good boss for that particular game, he's not 'cheap' enough to not be considered as a future contender and kombatent in MK 10.

MK: DA Era

Bo'Rai Cho - Already turned down as a canidate as a fighter for MK 9 and any future MK title. Ed Boon stated that he wanted more 'solid' characters and not any goofy, hollow characters (these are my words, not his, I'm just adlibing) to be in the series.

Drahmin - Garbage.

Frost - Another possible canidate for future DLC, you can also see her fighting in the backround of Pit II. Anoter cliche story architype, Frost became popular among a lot of MK fans because of her indifference to Sub Zero and her own unique freezing abilities adjacent to his. However, a lot of those move (like the ice slide and ground freeze) are now used by Sub Zero, and with Cyber Sub Zero as a contender in the game as well, it's hard for me to fatham her fitting uniquely into the game unless NRS made her freezing abilities very, very unique in comparrison to Sub Zero.

Hsu Hao - Same as Bo'Rai Cho. He was an extremely unpopular character in the series, so NRS felt no reason to bring him back. Ever.

Li Mei - Although her story is so-so, she feels like another cookie-cutter knock off of the female ninjas with a few unique special abilities. I'm on the fence with this one, and I could care less if she made it into a future MK title or not, and I doubt she'd be missed if she didn't.

Mavado - I would place him under the category of 'place holder copy cat' character architype. Although his stretchy hooks were kind of cool, and I like his stark contrast to Kano's ruthlessness, he just seemed to be a knock off version of Kabal since he wasn't in the game. (The hooks kind of give it away) But, that doesn't mean with a fine tune-up that he wouldn't be a cool character to play. I like his story line, and I think if they run with the Red Dragon assassin story line, he'd be a nice addition to the roster.

Mokap - Seriously? XD

Moloch - Ehhh maybe as a sub boss character, but definentely not playable.

Nitara - Her concept is cool, (the whole winged-vampire thing) but her lust for blood is already sedated by the insertion of Skarlet into the roster. We don't need to blood-fueled women in the game, even if one does look uniquely different from the other. If she were introduced again, they'd have to focus more on her vampiric roots, but since Mileena already bites necks, Kabal has super speed, and Skarlet has a lot of blood related moves, I just don't see it happening.

Onaga - Ehhh again, maybe a boss type character. Since Shao Kahn is technically dead in the new canon, he could serve as a good boss along side, if not greater than, Shinnok. He just reminds me too much of that one boss from Tekken 3 though.

MK Deception Era

Ashrah - A demon from the Neatherealm, her appearance is in contrast to her inner-self, which would be really good to explore story-line wise. However, I'd want them to really focus on demon-esk moves, which would make her stand out from every other character in the series, since there seems to be a lot of spectres and zombies, but no demons to really go on.

Dairou - I'm going to be honest. I never really like any of the Deception characters, and Dairou is no exception. He just kind of feels thrown in there, and although some of his special abilities are cool, there are already enough ninjas in this game. (They say he's a rogue assassin, and I hope they'd play on that character design more than just your standard ninja usage.) The best way I could describe him is a Naruto chracter. I don't know why.

Darrius - He would actually be a really cool fit into the game because his story line is so unique, and he's considered more of a revolutionary/terrorist than just some criminal thug lord like Kano or Mavado. With his own unique personality and goals, I'd say all they have to do is tweak his moves a little bit and give him some decent special abilities, and he'd be set to go.

Havik - He was mentioned in Noob Saibot's ending, but he's another one I'm on the fence about. As a possible DLC canidate, I'd want his moves to be reinforced with the architype of chaos and destruction; just some seriously crazy stuff, slow but lethal and bone crunching. That's how I view him, and that's how I'd want him to play out.

Hotaru - I like the way he looks, and he would make a good rival to Havik (since Hotaru only seeks to preserve order and balance), If they are going to make him playable in MK 10, I'd want to see him play out in a Mitsarugi fashion from Soul Calibur; a total samurai approach. With all the ninjas running amuck, it'd be nice to see some samurai actions thrown in there to kind of level the playing field. Plus the game could use more neutral characters other than making things so black and white.

Kira - Another unoriginal cookie-cutter knock off of, believe it or not, of Sonya and Kano combined. Another text book example of Ed Boon and Co. throwing characters together just for the sake of throwing together new characters.

Kobra - He reminds me of a Ken/Ryu-esk character from Street Fighter. A street brawler by nature, if they fixed him into a particular martial art(s), I think he'd be a unique contribution to the roster, but his story would have to be changed a bit. Unless they really expand upon the Kabal/Kano revialry, (which I doubt) then they'd have to introduce him in some other fashion. Maybe as just a simple contender to the tournament? I'm not sue, but he seems like a good choice to me.

Monster - GTFO

Shujinko - Liked by many fans, and also a possible canidate for DLC, if he didn't make it through this round then he'd surely fit in as the main protaginist of MK 10. Many seem to prefer him over Liu Kang as the 'hero' of the Mortal Kombat series, and for good reason. I hope they do this character justice if they do decide to release him.

MK Armaggedon

Daegon - Another character seen fighting in the backround of the Pit II stage, and possible canidate as DLC content. I'd want to see his special moves changed just a bit so it doesn't seem like another knock off of other characters (he places and looks a bit similar to Shao Kahn, and we have enough fire-enhanced characters in the game) As a half-god, dragon protector lord of war, I'd expect some unique visuals and fighting styles from this character if he were released.

Taven - Nah...more fire? Really? Rain is going to be introduced as DLC, and although his and Daegon's story could tie in, I want to see some individuality throwin into these characters, and not have them made just for the sake of having a few new characters added to the roster.

I'm not saying that some of these characters aren't beyond saving. Even the cookie-cutter knock off characters can be brought back to life with a uniqueness and individuality that any MK player would be proud of, but seriously, NRS has had a reputation of introducing these characters as hallow interpretations of other characters that didn't make it into that particular game.

I particulally cant care less about MK10, MK9 is so fresh...

But DLC, yep I really love DLC, more characters better, old, new I dont care.

The only ones I really care are Rain and he is coming, and Kenshi and I have it, but I would like to see Reiko, Cyber Smoke, Fujin, and other new ideas, a new race, humanoid but not that much, like reptile or baraka, but different.

EDIT - Monster would be cool with 3 changes:

- New name, the generic one he actually has sucks badly.
- New moves, if im not wrong he had Scorpion moves, since he was going to be an Scorpion alt.
- New look, looks retarded.

Nevermind, a totally new char lol!!! The only thing I like of monster is the skeleton concept, an skeleton-like warrior would be cool.

You should add Belokk to the list since he was a rumor and NRS loves to make rumors come true, I dont like him, well TBH I dont even know what the hell is bellok, but he can be a DLC, also he was more than a rumor he's a dropped character there are even pics of him.

Last edited:
Drahmin, garbage?

A bug-controlling oni with a iron club replacing his hand is freakin' sweet IMO. Just focus a bit more on the bugs and don't give him goofy moves.

No my friend. Drahmin is garbage. And looks really stupid. It's like they took a foot, covered it with the skin from some fat dude's ass, gave him a club, and covered him in flies (which would ne necessary for the stench)...I can't picture an ending with him defeating Shao Kahn OR Shinnok.

@Fox17 Haha, exactly. xD

Just read a bit on him and I learned his mask actually serves a purpose, it keeps his rage controlled. Without it he goes berserk and murders everybody around. So many ways to make him unique.

They could make him be one of Shinnok's demon bodyguards along with a revamped Belokk in MK10. :)

EDIT: You're entitled to your own opinion but I can early see a lot of potential in him.

Sandstorm...I'm just playing I do want Sareena, and Li Mei, back at least they were original characters that rocked.

Well if they did and you consider him worth saving, at least change his character model and fighting style to something more bad ass, and not just a series of thrust kicks and over head clubbing moves. A swarm of flies maybe...I can't believe you are making me think about this. >.<

No my friend. Drahmin is garbage. And looks really stupid. It's like they took a foot, covered it with the skin from some fat dude's ass, gave him a club, and covered him in flies (which would ne necessary for the stench)...I can't picture an ending with him defeating Shao Kahn OR Shinnok.
Well Im sorry, but he is not garbage. Drahmin is a Netherealm Oni and he is supposed to look like that and his moves are based on the savage and Brutish ways of his realm. FYI, he is not someone meant to beat Shao Kahn or Shinnok lol. If you have taken the time to to read his backstory and see his MK:DA ending you would know how much potential he has got.

@pizzamasta: Hey man, Im working on my MK 11 fanfic and Ill be including Belokk. Do fill me in with ideas you got. Thanks=D

I want to see the monster from MK:D be made unique he was basically Scorpion but I liked the outfit maybe they could combine him and Belokk into 1 character. Also I would like to see Blaze come back as a regular fighter not a boss.

Last edited:
Well Im sorry, but he is not garbage. Drahmin is a Netherealm Oni and he is supposed to look like that and his moves are based on the savage and Brutish ways of his realm. FYI, he is not someone meant to beat Shao Kahn or Shinnok lol. If you have taken the time to to read his backstory and see his MK:DA ending you would know how much potential he has got.

You're not understanding --- if you put him in this game (MK9) or MK 10, he would be playable in arcade/ladder mode, and would have to beat one of the bosses, or serve some kind of purpose. In case you didn't know, MK 9 changed the original story line in many ways, and as a reboot to the franchise, he has to find a purpose somewhere if they are going to release him. And I still think hes garbage, no matter how many of you like him.

I imagine him having the pose of a savage and brutal demon. Swinging his body with his back REALLY bent forward. Give him actual normals, but no need to have super long combos. Make him have normals a bit like Jax amd use the bugs as a swarm instead of a ball and Tada! You've got a brand new and "fresh" Drahmin!

Or make him like Kratos in the sense that he's weapon oriented (with his club), and he moves slow but does sick damage when he actually connects. But, the only way they'd make that balanced is if they gave him some decent low/high mix ups so it doesn't seem like he's one of those characters you can take advantage of with a teleporting character.

For characters that I'd like too see make an appearance in the next game as re-invented characters for the story would be Kai, Havik, Hotaru, Frost, Taven and Daegon. Like I wouldn't want to see them changed drastically, but I think they should all play a role in the next game's story. Maybe Taven and Daegon could be active at the same time now that Armageddon has been averted.

You're not understanding --- if you put him in this game (MK9) or MK 10, he would be playable in arcade/ladder mode, and would have to beat one of the bosses, or serve some kind of purpose. In case you didn't know, MK 9 changed the original story line in many ways, and as a reboot to the franchise, he has to find a purpose somewhere if they are going to release him. And I still think hes garbage, no matter how many of you like him.
No sir, I understand perfectly fine=) and to clarify I would like him in future games maybe after Mk11 and not as dlc. I dont know if you are speaking from ignorance or not but out of all arcade endings in MK9 only a handful are going to be canon anyways. Its not like the entire roster will end up defeating kahn.

Read his backstory, you will know what purpose he serves.

The problem with NRS as I stated before is that they tend to take these characters and kind of mesh them together with other characters to make new characters. o_O

I want to see the monster from MK:D be made unique he was basically Scorpion but I liked the outfit maybe they could combine him and Belokk into 1 character. Also I would like to see Blaze come back as a regular fighter not a boss.

And that's what I want them to try to avoid. MK 9's roster is so unique because each character has their own feel, play style, and you can actually tell them apart. By making other characters the same or 'so-and-so' combined characters, it feels like its taking away from the premise of the game entirely. It's not to say that some characters aren't worth saving, but their story lines, move sets, and special abilities will have to be changed and made more unique and interesting, and not feel so sloppy and put together at the last minute.

I dont know if you are speaking from ignorance or not but out of all arcade endings in MK9 only a handful are going to be canon anyways. Its not like the entire roster will end up defeating kahn

I'm not saying all of them do, but if he (Drahmin) did defeat him, his story would have to make sense, and his back story would have to fit the new MK time line, whether he defeats Shao Kahn or not. I have faith that if they did bring him back they'd try to make him awesome and not look like an ass-covered foot, but regardless, he is there and can still be considered up for choice on the next roster. As for MK 11, I don't even want to think about that right now, it makes me dizzy just imagining it...

The problem with NRS as I stated before is that they tend to take these characters and kind of mesh them together with other characters to make new characters. o_O

And that's what I want them to try to avoid. MK 9's roster is so unique because each character has their own feel, play style, and you can actually tell them apart. By making other characters the same or 'so-and-so' combined characters, it feels like its taking away from the premise of the game entirely. It's not to say that some characters aren't worth saving, but their story lines, move sets, and special abilities will have to be changed and made more unique and interesting, and not feel so sloppy and put together at the last minute.

Well I was trying to say that i liked the look of the monster and Belokk was just a scrapped character so it's not like NRS would be screwing over any fans. In fact I think it would be hard to find a loyal Belokk fan.

Well I was trying to say that i liked the look of the monster and Belokk was just a scrapped character so it's not like NRS would be screwing over any fans. In fact I think it would be hard to find a loyal Belokk fan.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put down your ideas, I just feel if they start meshing characters together now, they may go down that path again and start making others that way too, and then the uniqueness is gone and it's back to two-bit characters again. Sorry if I came across that way, it wasn't my intention.

I just want Havik. That's all. because, CHAOS IS MY MASTER!

Yeah I have a feeling an MK 9 version of Havik would be epic.