starting a combo string

boX

i'm not sure if anyone else has experienced it, but online seems to have some sort of button lag (PS3). it could just be me, but it really feels "off".

when you're online and you attempt a combo, do most of you just jump in with a punch (landing it low into your opponent) and start your combo string after, or do you skip the jump-in punch entirely and just jump, land, enter combo string?

like i said, it just seem with this weird button lag that i can't get the JP+string to connect as well online.

I've had the same problem playing online, which kinda discourges me from doing anymore KOTH

yeah me too i think the x box people have a better server, on ps3 i have a lag, but i have fios and i should never have these problems but i do

Patch 1.03=Input delay and or totally dropped inputs...Game went from total shit(v1.01) to decent (v1.02 yet with de-syncs) back to garbage v1.03.

It's funny, PS3 users complain about 360 being better, then 360 users complain that PS3 is better online as far as lag

And the game is far from garbage ^^

people just need to learn how to play with lag if your connection is too awful for lagless games... Not complain about it

@OP
I generally abandon the thought of always starting with a jump-in, it would allow more time (in your case) for the lag to affect your inputs ;)

i dont have said problems with JP, but i find myself not being able to do medium to expert level combos online, offline is not a big deal tho.

I have had this issue many times before. I mainly use Cyrax so I usually have my opponent netted. If I notice any lag at all I will not attempt a Jump Punch to start combo'ing. Just a little bit of lag will throw off the timing on the jump in. If it fails the 1st time I abandon it for the rest of the match.

I had the same issue in the past but from these latest patches NRS been releasing seems to have fixed this problem. I have yet to have button lag.

Yes, I have noticed this since the recent patch and other things. For one, now about 90% of games are giving me error messages and dropping me. This is in the Australian room as well. Last patch I was fine against Australians and could play some Americans, now I can play some Australians with input lag.

I don't have a problem with the actual hits of a combo or the jump in punches, it's some of the follow ups that can't connect.

Example, I mainly use Stryker so I jump in with a punch, Away+1, 2, 2 all connect fine. If I try to follow that with the neutral jump punch it'll miss, I've only ever hit it once online. The Away+1,2,2,Bang Bang, Roll Out works maybe 50% of the time. The Bang Bang will usually connect but lower than it does offline preventing the Roll Out from hitting. Any standard hits after the pop will usually cause any of the special moves to miss or hit too low to continue. I'm on 360.

Last edited:
The input delay is a pain in the ass sometimes and it can cause problems in a match, but keep in mind that your opponent is probably having the same problems you are. Nothing beats offline matches if you want to show off your skill, but online matches are good to see how match ups between characters may typically go... Not to mention it's fun to play different kinds of players.