IGN Reviews MK: Deception's Multiplayer

Patrick McCarron

TRMK Admin, Co-founder
Staff member
IGN has posted the first review of Mortal Kombat: Deception's multiplayer mode. For the review, IGN's editor, Jeremy Dunham, actually got to play against Mortal Kombat co-creator Ed Boon himself. The review is over the Xbox version, but it's noted that only minor differences exist between the two.
We chose the Xbox disc not because of any one graphical, gameplay, or control advantages mind you, but because (let's face it) Xbox Live is a hell of a lot better for plug and play online gaming than the PS2 is. Even so, the connection processes for both systems are nigh identical, with a slightly different login interface for the GameSpy-powered PS2 version in comparison to Xbox Live. In terms of intuitiveness, wait times, and lobby setups, however, the differences are negligible.
The review is very positive and touches on how lag-free the gaming experience is. One new item of mention is that you can even talk to your opponent via headset as early on as the character select screen.
To say that I was blown away with just how smooth and responsive the online portion of the fighting truly is, is an understatement, as Mortal Kombat: Deception is seriously the most lag-free Internet fighting game I've ever played. And over the course of our six different match-ups with various kinds of characters, I never once experienced a single hitch or stutter in the action. I could tell right off the bat that Midway is sporting some serious network code here, and can only begin to wonder just how blown away other players will be when they get to try online for the first time as well.
There are also a few video captures of the action taken, so be sure to check them out as well.

Sounds like this game is actually going to live up to everything that has been said about it. I'm getting pretty pumped about going online, especially after reading this review. No lag or hitches, keeping track of online stats, friends list, etc., this game is going to be awesome!