Reptile

Jade

Reptile

reptile.gif

Height: 6'
Weight: 189 lbs.
Resides: Outworld

At some point - possibly before the death of the Great Kung Lao 500 years ago, or possibly after - Reptile joined Shang Tsung and Goro on Earthrealm. He stayed in hiding. Naturally, when Tsung returned to Outworld, so did Reptile.

He protected his master from harm, and then went on to receive special missions from Shao Kahn himself, who had promised to release the remaining members of his race from slavery if he would unquestioningly do his bidding.

Such an opportunity arose when Kitana had escaped into the unknown regions of Earthrealm during Kahn's invasion of that world. Reptile was sent by Shao Kahn, who promised Reptile to resurrect his race if he succeeded, with Jade to find and, if necessary, kill Kitana. He did not succeed as Jade betrayed him to help Kitana.

After the war was over, with Kahn defeated and both Earth and Edenia free, Reptile was brought back as a prisoner to Edenia, and tried there for genocide, a bitter irony since his own race once was the victim of the very same act. Reptile was then exiled to the Netherealm.

When the fallen Elder God Shinnok invaded Edenia, Reptile grasped the opportunity to join Shinnok's Army of Darkness as a commander, hoping to convince Shinnok to revive his near extinct race. After being on the losing side once more, he escaped into Outworld again and rejoined his old masters, in spite of the fact that neither had ever kept their promises towards him.

Because of his state of separation from the other members of his race, and especially his matriarch, Reptile had begun to show signs of devolution. Where he used to mask his appearance by posing as a human, this proved to be no longer possible. Reptile had nearly gone insane and had a significantly changed appearance, including a tail.

With the armies of Edenia and Outworld locked in combat, Shao Kahn requested the services of the sorcerer Shang Tsung. Reptile was sent to tell Tsung of the emperor's request but upon reaching Tsung’s new place of residence since being released from prison, Reptile overheard Tsung and Quan Chi forming their Deadly Alliance and plotting to kill Shao Kahn. On his way back to inform his master ,he was distracted by Nitara, who revealed to him knowledge of his lost civilization. She gave him the Kirehashi blade, which was an artifact of the Zaterran civilization, as proof and revealed to Reptile the location of Kitana’s forces. Reptile knowing how this knowledge would greatly aid his master in the war with Edenia raced back to tell the emperor, but he was too late; Shao Kahn lay slain on the floor.

The desperate and purposeless Reptile wandered Outworld aimlessly until he came across Nitara yet again. Desperate for a new master Reptile declared his loyalties to Nitara, but unknown to Reptile, he had always been merely a pawn in Nitara's plan to free her people's realm from the Outworld. The first step had been to distract Reptile long enough for the Deadly Alliance to kill Shao Kahn unhindered; next, she manipulated Reptile and the cyber-ninja Cyrax into battle. Reptile damaged Cyrax, ensuring the cyber-ninja would later help Nitara in her quest for the portal sphere. Eventually, Reptile came to realize that Nitara had fooled him, and that her plan had lead to the death of his master Shao Kahn. Enraged, Reptile tracked the vampire and Cyrax to the Lava Chamber, but he was too late. The portal sphere had been destroyed, and of Nitara and Cyrax there was no sign. All that remained was the almost fully incubated dragon egg of Onaga the Dragon King. The egg hatched, a beam of light struck Reptile and Reptile's body became the vessel for the reincarnated Onaga.

It is described in an unlockable photo of Reptile's home realm Zaterra that members of his race can lose their humanoid appearance when separated for long periods of time from their monarchal leader; given the fact that this authority figure - like most of his people - were most likely wiped out centuries ago by Shao Kahn, the fact that Reptile did not start to 'devolve' until after he assumed his master killed at the end of Mortal Kombat Trilogy, and his race's natural camouflage ability to look like normal humans, it's more likely that Reptile's 'devolution' was a result of his increasingly maddening state overriding what mental capacity was required to maintain his human guise instead of a physical metamorphosis into a prior state of evolution.

Reptile's separation from Onaga was seemingly explained by Nightwolf's ending in Deception, whereupon he bound Onaga's soul to the Netherealm. He is encountered by Taven in Konquest mode in the lair of the Red Dragon clan. Though no explanation is offered as to why he is there, it's possible that Reptile's DNA was also being used, along with Daegon's dragon, Caro's, as a means of creating human-reptilian hybrids, since the Red Dragon Hybrids do bear some resemblance to Reptile and can also spit acid.

In his story ending, after his victory over Blaze, the Pyramid of Argus begins to crumble under his feet. Reptile finds a tomb within the pyramid containing a female Zaterran, and Reptile slowly reverts back to his humanoid form. With the female Zaterran, Reptile revives Zaterra to its former glory.

Signature Moves
Spit (MKII, UMK3, MKT, MK4, MKG, MK:DA, MK:SM, MK:A, MK 2011)
Power Slide (MK, MKII, UMK3, MKT, MK:SM, MK 2011)
Chameleon (MKII, UMK3, MKT, MK:SM, MK4, MKG, MK:A, MK 2011)
Running Serpent (UMK3, MKT, MK:A, MK 2011)
Slow Forceball (MKII, UMK3, MKT, MK:SM, MK 2011)
Fast Forceball (UMK3, MKT, MK:SM, MK 2011)
Upper Forceball (MK:SM)
Dash Punch (MK4, MKG)
Super Crawl (MK4, MKG)
Rolling Spikes (MK:DA, MK:A)
X-Ray Move: Trash Out (MK 2011)

Fatalities
Tasty Meal (MKII, MK:SM)
Extra Meal (UMK3,MKT)
Acidic Meal (MK:DA)
Hidden Chomp(MKII, MK:SM)
Acid Puke (UMK3, MKT, MK4, MKG)
Face Chew (MK4, MKG)
Claw Frenzy(MK:SM)
Mouth-to-Mouth (MK:SM, MK:2011)

Other Finishers
Animality: Scary Monkey (UMK3, MKT)
Friendship #1: Reptile Doll Sale(MKII)
Friendship #2: Snake-in-the-Box (UMK3, MKT)

Great Kharacter kinda wish they would have a human version and when he takes damage you would see the scales and Reptilian features underneath. Here is a little Fatality Tribute for Reptile

Yeah I agree with that. One of the main reasons I pre-ordered from amazon was my hatred for his design.

I really love him as a character though, and I have more sympathy for him than any other MK character. He's not a bad guy, he just doesn't know how to take control of his own destiny.

I got to play as reptile for like 10 minutes on a newer demo, and I got to tell you guys, he is SICK!!!! He was probably just as fun to fight with as noob. Can you guys believe we are finally only 29 days away? I remember tellimng people 167 days to go, and that was until March 1st!

hey do you guys know if you pre order the game at amazon if the extra fatality for reptile and avatar skins is on the 59.99 game or the 99.99 kollectors addition?

hey do you guys know if you pre order the game at amazon if the extra fatality for reptile and avatar skins is on the 59.99 game or the 99.99 kollectors addition?

I know for a fact it comes with the standard edition because that is the version I've pre-ordered. I don't see why it wouldn't come with the KE as well.

I got to play as reptile for like 10 minutes on a newer demo, and I got to tell you guys, he is SICK!!!! He was probably just as fun to fight with as noob. Can you guys believe we are finally only 29 days away? I remember tellimng people 167 days to go, and that was until March 1st!

Haha, yeah, time's flying. And it will fly faster to me now, as my classes are beggining today, and I'll probably have so much to do I will not even see the time passing by, and when I less expect it, it's already April 19th.

Reptile is indeed a great character. Can't wait to play as him in MK9!

Reptile was messed up in MK4 IMO, and hasn't completely recovered yet. In MK4 and DA he was just a dumb, easily manipulated lizard man. He needs to be smarter with a better look. He looks good in MK9, but there's still something missing from returning him into a great character...

But with that said, I'm glad they gave him a unique identity in MK4 as opposed to him just being "the green ninja."

I just wish they would expand on his and Baraka'a stories.
I'm tired of them just being henchmen.

I just wish they would expand on his and Baraka'a stories.
I'm tired of them just being henchmen.

well, they do have a pretty solid story for reptile (memeber of a race that was wiped out by Shao Kahn as he was taking it over), they just haven't elaborated on how he spent his days when Zaterra still existed. Baraka, however, they do need to elaborate on, because his basis is being the strongest and smartest Tarkatan, and therefore the leader of the Tarkatan warriors

Then again, i like the fact that there are henchment characters :p

Reptile used to be awesome, until MK9 came along and they ruined his looks.

Question is, how does everyone else think he looks in the new MK?

Last edited:
I've always advocated his MK2 look. The fright I had when he first removed his mask...chilling. He's just a stupid henchman now, and the way he moves...the way he doesn't even try to cover up his lizard-like features it makes me lose respect for him.

Before he was the ultimate hidden fight, with all the powers of Sub-Zero and Scorpion combined. Then he was the ultimate assassin, able to go invisible and come at you from any direction...now what is he? Nothing. He's not no intrigue, no interest, no story. Not anymore anyway.

I've always advocated his MK2 look. The fright I had when he first removed his mask...chilling. He's just a stupid henchman now, and the way he moves...the way he doesn't even try to cover up his lizard-like features it makes me lose respect for him.

Before he was the ultimate hidden fight, with all the powers of Sub-Zero and Scorpion combined. Then he was the ultimate assassin, able to go invisible and come at you from any direction...now what is he? Nothing. He's not no intrigue, no interest, no story. Not anymore anyway.

Totally agree. Statements like these make me wish Boon & Co. could hear this.

nah he was way too plain as the green ninja...he had no real uniqueness to him as he was just a green version of sub zero and scorpion...but i hated his appearance in deadly alliance where as in mk 2011 they have given him back his humanoid look whilst keeping him in his totally unique reptile state as well...i dont get how ppl prefer him just looking like a normal ninja besides boon has listened hence why the retro costumes are available however as he said this game is a huge step up on previous designs and i love the new reptile look