Playstation All-Stars Battle Royal

I heard it was totally different gameplay wise though. Unless you're just referring to it being a crossover game like smash bros.

I actually wouldnt mind too much if it was a complete ripoff, sure it would be stingy, but I just want it to be play good and not shitty. And the whole "only way to kill your oppenent is with a special move" thing doesnt sound good at all. But I still havnt played it yet so I cant talk.

It is an absolute rip off.

Play SB instead, don't waste your time on this second rate garbage.

ok, so a co-worker of mine let me borrow this game a few days ago, and after playing it a while I think I have my final opinion on the game. Let's get this out of the way first, if you hate the fact that Sony is doing their version of ssb, then theres not much I can tell you except dont play it I guess, and everyone should have already assumed that it was a knockoff in the first place anyway.

Spoiler:
But my opinion on the gameplay itself. When I first started to play it, I really hated it. I didnt like the controls, and everything felt off to me. I went in trying to play like smash bros, and it just wasnt working. But after playing with a friend and getting adjusted to the moves, the game did grow on me. Yes believe it or not I find the game to be somewhat enjoyable.

However, only enjoyable under certain circumstances that I'll get to later, and the game has many many flaws. First off lets get its major flaw out of the way. The problem with this game is, it doesnt know what its trying to be. It's like a mix between smash bros and a standard 2D fighter like SF or something. You have alot of room to roam like smash bros, except the characters arent as agile like smash bros. So trying to play this game with a mindset on smash bros will only frustrate you cause the characters are too sluggish. Thier actual moves feel more like they belong in a standard 2D fighter. And there are some pretty kickass moves and combos, for example Ratchet has his electric whip that knocks you into the air, and then you can fire a rocket at your opponent right afterwards. So some pretty cool, if simple combo techniques going on in this game. Its just they dont know what type of game there going for. The normal moves feel like a 2D fighter at times, but the super meter special moves required to win a battle are obviously influenced by brawl's final smash's and some require you to move to a certain place and play more like smash bros. So more weird gameplay mixing.

But the way I've found to enjoy the game is to lean for the more 2D fighter approach. By choosing smaller, more flat, and simple stages, turning off all items and stage hazards, and going 1 vs 1. Theres alot of things they ripped off smash bros from that I think dont even work in this game like items and stage hazards. Characters arent slick and fast enough to use items strategically, and they cant move fast enough to dodge enough hazards. And big stages with lots of hills and platforms dont work for these characters. So once again, the whole smash bros style this game uses doesnt really work for the best in my opinion, I'm glad you can turn them off though. However a good smash bros ripoff that's great in close combat 1 vs 1 games is rolling and mid-air dodging.

The menu screens and overall presentation in this game are ass, but I can get over that I guess. The character roster has some great faces but its also lacking some important ones. I dont want to beat a dead horse, but it really sucks that Crash and Spyro arent in this game. Big fail on Naughty Dog and Insomniac's part for selling the rights all those years ago. The only characters that rub me the wrong way are Fat Princess and Evil Cole. Really unwanted. Fat Princess isnt well known or even a retro throwback. And Evil cole is a waste as well. But thats just me.

So in a nutshell : Sony is trying to take advantage of smash bros sucess, so they made their own version. They added a whole lot of annoying and spazzy shit to try and recreate Brawl's crazy party game atmosphere. But the game has some 2D fighter influence in there as well and they surprisingly have some decent movesets for the characters, and I personally enjoy it somewhat through toning the game's crazy stuff down. This is in no way a serious competative fighter, (obviously) but if you like crossover type games and maybe you are looking for a new type of fighter, you might want to try this game. I may give it alot of shit, but its not completely horrible. I just wish it was better and had the option to use health bars or some alternative.

That review was God-like. You said everything I wanted to say yet I didn't even touch the game yet

That review was God-like. You said everything I wanted to say yet I didn't even touch the game yet

Funny you say that, cause I scrolled back through this entire thread and pretty much everything I said about this game came true. Its also funny to scroll back and see people get all hyped for the characters, then slowly stop giving a shit about the game as time went by.

It's just an average game that can be fun for a little while, but in the end its still a poor man's smash bros. Which is ironic considering Playstation are the ones usually know as the hardcore guys with the best graphics. Maybe they'll do a sequel and finally get it down right, who knows.

If you really want to try it out, you should just rent it or wait for the price to drop, cause this game isnt worth the full price and wont make an impact on you. I'm sure everyone could already tell that anyway though.

Ames32 said:
Kratos ='s must buy for all.

Well at least for me he is.

not a good idea.

It is an absolute rip off.

Play SB instead, don't waste your time on this second rate garbage.

You know what Mrs Redfield Im getting real tired of your crap talk. PS All stars is not a SB rip off. It may look like SB but it plays different. Now what dont you just go make sweet love to Chris and Stop dissin PS All Stars :soapbox:.......... ;) you know I kidd

All jokes aside though Its a good game. Im not saying its better then SB Im just saying its really not what people make it out to be.

Last edited:
I wanna play it out of curiosity. Game will likely flop, so I'll hop on that price drop. Really really want to try Big Daddy and Sweet Tooth. They seem like they have sick moves

I wanna play it out of curiosity. Game will likely flop, so I'll hop on that price drop. Really really want to try Big Daddy and Sweet Tooth. They seem like they have sick moves

Sweet Tooth and Big Daddy are some of the most enjoyable to play for me. Sweet Tooth's got a chainsaw thats always fun to swing in midair, and big daddy is just a mammoth, fun to bulldoze people and drill up people's anuses.

I like big slow brute force characters in fighters. Fvck Kratos and Nariko. Long sword whipping jerkasses. And surprisingly Dante isnt as annoying in this game as I thought. At first I was like "here we go with this MVC3 dante bullshit again" but he's not as bad.

But yeah, there is alot of annoying spam in this game, with the gun moves and all. Mostly Nathan And Radec, but certain characters can be better match ups so you can fight fire with fire.
A problem with this game is certain match ups can either be really boring, or really cheap while others work better. So once again another reason the actual enjoyment in this game is hit and miss.

Last edited:
The problem is going into this thinking like smash bros.

I also didn't like it because I subconciously kept trying to make it like smash bros.

It's not. It's like 35% smash bros, 20% some other random new shit that's never been done before (die only to supers?), and 45% traditional fighter.

The good things about smash bros.

are the edge game (keeping people off the main platform)
The fact that as % increases. The further you fly, making combos where the person has to adjust and nothing is pre-dialed.
Directional influence, where you had control of your flying momentum, so the opponent had to make reads during combos.

and many other things.

this game gets rid of all that.

the ONLY thing about it that's like smash is.

1.) You can play 4 player
2.) stages have a smash feel
3.) you can play 2v2
4.) there's a jump/double jump button. and the moves are simple.

that's the only similarities.

This game suffers from trying to cater to two-three crowds at once.

It's like if you play a first person shooter, and someone else loves Football games.

some dude tries to make a first person football game.

People who play normal football games aren't gonna like the limited view. and first person shooters won't like it cuz it doesn't challenge your accuracy/level knowledge ect ect.

it essentially takes multiple basic concepts, from 2 different genres.

But leaves out the meat and potatoes. and jsut gives you the stew.

that's my take on it.

ESPN NFL 2K5 first person mode is godlike though :rolleyes: (It really is though :laugh:)

I wanna play it mainly b/c it has Ratchet in it; plus the game looks fun. Only thing that I find weird is that its supposed to be a game that celebrates Sony characters/history and almost half the cast are from third party games; not that I'm complaining, but thats kinda weak. Would have been good to bring in some more of the obscure Sony characters and have the third party characters as free dlc imo, but its whatever lol.

Skyus Valley, how is Sir Daniel Fortesque?

I saw him in some blue/gold armor in a review. Does this game have alts?

pretty sure any costume changes are just color changes, maybe you saw a super where he temporarily changes? I haven't messed with him.

ESPN NFL 2K5 first person mode is godlike though :rolleyes: (It really is though :laugh:)

I wanna play it mainly b/c it has Ratchet in it; plus the game looks fun. Only thing that I find weird is that its supposed to be a game that celebrates Sony characters/history and almost half the cast are from third party games; not that I'm complaining, but thats kinda weak. Would have been good to bring in some more of the obscure Sony characters and have the third party characters as free dlc imo, but its whatever lol.

then you're one of those people that like the product delivered.

I'm saying that there are plenty of people who play football games, even back when I use to play them. that don't like a permanent First person view.

And a person who likes a shooter isn't gonna like a football game just because it has a similar engine/outline.

That's all I'm getting at.

It doesn't mean that no one will like it. It just means you're not gonna get both crowds in the masses like it seems what they aimed for.

I only hope this doesn't deter them if the love for it is bad. Because this concept is always a great idea. I think simply changing 2 things. Could make this game really really good.

If you try to look at it like it's own game. you might like it more.

I bet if this game came out before smash. and it didn't have to live up to some pre-existing condition. It might've faired better.

Last edited:

Sir Daniel is my favorite character in the game next to ratchet. He's got an attack where he throws his head on the ground and it crawls, like freddy's glove in MK9. Also a hammer.

Characters have color swaps, and each character has an alt costume that has color swaps as well. Daniel's alt is dragon armor and he wears a big dragon head. You unlock costumes/taunts/intro's by playing enough.

Sir Daniel is my favorite character in the game next to ratchet. He's got an attack where he throws his head on the ground and it crawls, like freddy's glove in MK9. Also a hammer.

Characters have color swaps, and each character has an alt costume that has color swaps as well. Daniel's alt is dragon armor and he wears a big dragon head. You unlock costumes/taunts/intro's by playing enough.

no wonder I haven't gotten any costumes I have zero unlocks lol.

Hows Kratos play? I haven't heard much on him.

Bought this game recently. Its so hard to have fun with it. The characters move like they're under water at all time. Theres no running, no universal dashing and the jumps feel way too floaty. I think there are only 7 or 8 items in the game and the menu interface looks like it was made by a lone college kid.

Only redeeming factors are the customization and the rival battles. Hearing Sweet Tooth call Kratos 'cupcake' and asking him if he has any money up his skirt made it all worthwhile.

Sweet Tooth is my favorite character, but I hate playing as him. Big Daddy is awesome. He has some sick combos.