Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

hello again, had some problems with the cloth but it's kind of fixed now... I played a lot with the cuves, I Know it can be improved much more but I wanted to know what you guys think? I think it looks more natural than the last one cause I took bleed's advises and they worked out pretty well for me and liu's animation.. thanks again bleed, I'm learning a lot from you.

here is the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?p75fzwq5qpsw37o

^calactyte tried, but had troubles with it. I guess it's waiting for Bleed or someone else down the road. I can see Bleeds breathing animations looking great on a beast like Goro :)

Bleed can animate/rig Goro next. I made an attempt but I am not skilled enough to do Goro justice especially compared to Bleed's other work.

hello again, had some problems with the cloth but it's kind of fixed now... I played a lot with the cuves, I Know it can be improved much more but I wanted to know what you guys think? I think it looks more natural than the last one cause I took bleed's advises and they worked out pretty well for me and liu's animation.. thanks again bleed, I'm learning a lot from you.

here is the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?p75fzwq5qpsw37o

Oh Yeah!

Much better, way to go.

Oh Yeah!

Much better, way to go.

Thanks bleed, it means a lot coming from you!! I think I'll make the loop a little smoother, and done, if there's something you think I should fix just tell me and I will do it, I can't wait to have my first hd sprites in mugen, next I'll do the walking animation and the
statue model

Finally figured out what the problem was with the shadows.

1 = Lights need the Adv. RayTraced shadows to have the alpha maps work on SSS shaders.

2 = I was using an Ambient Occlusion map to texture one of the slots in the SSS shader.

Looks like if I want the AO map, I'll need to bake it and have it as a regular texture instead of using a real shader.

Nice. Wow. To be honest I've never even thought about that.

Edit: Wait, what? AO map in overall diffuse coloring?

The movement looks mostly natural, but it doesn't loop properly. This is a prime example of where you need to tweak keyframe interpolation to get a realistic-looking result. The problem currently is that the character moves as if the motion is from one static position to another static position, when it should be in a perpetual motion. You basically need to copy and paste your keyframes into multiple cycles, but only "use" one cycle to make the animation move smoothly and seamlessly into and out of the first/last frame.

Here's a Youtube video that hopefully explains the idea in more depth. (I quickly dug it up but don't have time to watch it - if it doesn't help just look around on youtube; there are plenty of graph editor tutorials and the like) It's a Maya tutorial but the principle applies regardless of 3D software.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig3DiQ4XbUk

Some things I notice:

The pants are too loose and it's not looping well because of it. If you make the fabric more stiff, maybe the loop won't pop so obviously.

The motion is looking pretty natural, but I don't think you are looking hard enough at the reference material.
The motion of the Left arm is different
The torso is leaning too far forward, it should hunch a little, but still moved back. Maybe rotate the root counter clockwise , so the head is in line with the hips.

The torso twist should be more exaggerated, and so should the hips.

His Right foot should move toward and away from the camera a little, not just side to side.

His Left foot shouldn't move side to side that much, more of a slight twist.

The shoulders should be up more, but that seems to be a problem with the model, the traps are too thick.

The right arm should be twisting more from the upper arm, like his torso is twisting.

His right arm is also looking kind of stiff, so I would make the shoulders bounce a tiny bit with the hop and bend his forearms with the motion also, just to loosen it up a little.

His left wrist is too straight, it needs to be rotated, so the palm is facing down more.

A stern facial expression would be nice.

It'll work as is, but if you want to get even closer, those are some ideas.

Some things I notice:

The pants are too loose and it's not looping well because of it. If you make the fabric more stiff, maybe the loop won't pop so obviously.

The motion is looking pretty natural, but I don't think you are looking hard enough at the reference material.
The motion of the Left arm is different
The torso is leaning too far forward, it should hunch a little, but still moved back. Maybe rotate the root counter clockwise , so the head is in line with the hips.

The torso twist should be more exaggerated, and so should the hips.

His Right foot should move toward and away from the camera a little, not just side to side.

His Left foot shouldn't move side to side that much, more of a slight twist.

The shoulders should be up more, but that seems to be a problem with the model, the traps are too thick.

The right arm should be twisting more from the upper arm, like his torso is twisting.

His right arm is also looking kind of stiff, so I would make the shoulders bounce a tiny bit with the hop and bend his forearms with the motion also, just to loosen it up a little.

His left wrist is too straight, it needs to be rotated, so the palm is facing down more.

A stern facial expression would be nice.

It'll work as is, but if you want to get even closer, those are some ideas.

Thanks again bleed, I'll try to get as close as possible, I'll try to post an update tomorrow, can you share your settings for the final sprites? I don't even know what format should I use, maybe tiff or something like this

I use .png, and make sure the background color is set to Black.

That will get you a transparent background, and avoid a white outline around the sprite when converted to 256 indexed color.

Color reduction is done in Photoshop when adding the character color palette.

When rendering from max, give different parts of the costume some Masking colors. Make the pants blue for example, so they don't mix with the hair color.

The pants are changed back to black later, using the color palette.

You need to set a camera in such a way, that it matches the perspective in the game sprites.

Render the image, so the sprites are the correct size, like the size I've been posting.
What I do is take a screen shot of MK1 from Mame, bring it in to Photoshop and scale it up.

In Photoshop, image scale, constrain proportions and set height to 720.

I place the render from Max on this scaled up screen shot, and make sure the 3D sprites match the size of the up scaled original sprites.

The light rig should also match pretty close.

The render size from max is whatever gives me the size I need, and crop the image when rendering.

Last edited: