Mortal Kombat HD Remix with MUGEN

Keeps looking better and better. Is that motion blur I see? It helps a lot, didn't notice it before.

Actually yes it is. I have this great plugin called Reel Effectsl Motion Blur. It calculates motion vectors in 2D. Bleed what version of After Effects do you have? I'll do a test anination with one of your scorpion or subzero animations so you can see how much it makes it look like it were filmed instead of rendered. Not sure how difficult it would be to re-render everything using that plugin, I'll let you decide if it is worth it.

Actually yes it is. I have this great plugin called Reel Effectsl Motion Blur. It calculates motion vectors in 2D. Bleed what version of After Effects do you have? I'll do a test anination with one of your scorpion or subzero animations so you can see how much it makes it look like it were filmed instead of rendered. Not sure how difficult it would be to re-render everything using that plugin, I'll let you decide if it is worth it.

Ah yes, Reel Effects, I used it for a few of my YouTube videos. If it is possible to use it for this I think it'd be great.

Indeed. The mid air ice clone is a pretty integral part of Sub-Zero's mechanics. Altering that would be a huge deviation of the core gameplay. I've played Bleed's Sub-Zero edit and it is a fun change of pace, but it's just not MK Sub-Zero gameplay. Just my opinion.

True it's not like any official MK, but the statement is iffy IMO, because which one? I know what you mean, but the definition is not so clear. The moves and overall play mechanics are different in every game. I think of MK's game play as a variable term, open to interpretation.

True it's not like any official MK, but the statement is iffy IMO, because which one? I know what you mean, but the definition is not so clear. The moves and overall play mechanics are different in every game. I think of MK's game play as a variable term, open to interpretation.

True. I was speaking specifically about this particular mechanic, the frozen opponent hanging in mid-air. I believe this has been present in every MK, and since Subs is always one of my mains, changing this mechanic would be a BIG departure.

I realize that in any expansions of these MKs we are making that things can and will be changed around, and I'm all for that. But changing a mechanic such as this one in one of the "proper" MKHD games wouldn't serve the project's purpose. Again, my opinion.

If it's a close remake, I would agree not to bend too much. For something like the air clone, what Borg117 came up with is more logical. If you don't know, he thought of adding a pillar to hold the clone/enemy in the air. It makes better sense without changing how it works in UMK3.

If it was for something new like MK10 for example, I wouldn't put such a limit on it. I'm not opposed to experimenting, even if it isn't broken, just to see, like they have done with the rest of his moves.

I'm not offended in the least by your comment, I understand everyone has their opinion and there is no problem with that. I just saw a hole in the logic and had to point it out. :alberteinstein:

I'm not so emotionally attached to my work, to be offended by critique, so no worries.

If you tell me it sucks, I'll ask you why, not get angry.

Pillar holding the enemy up reminds me of Primal Rage. ;)

Anyway, personally I'm OK with the initial versions sticking as close as possible to the original when it comes to mechanics.... but open to modding later on. Like a MK 1.5 mod for this project that makes Reptile have his MK2 moves. :p

hello everyone,
ZBrush Document.jpg
ZBrush Document2.jpg

i just got a few hours to work with liu kang, so started sculpting, as I told you I just use the mouse since I don´t have a tablet soooo, if there´s something you don´t like in this model just tell me, I'll be pleased to change it, I know this is not a big update but i've been too busy. hope you like it

That looks really promising arq_hawking. Keep up the good work, can't wait to see some progress and detail on Kang.

Getting rid of the mid-air freeze would be strange.

Its not like shooting ice through your hands is any more realistic than being frozen in mid-air.

Almost everything in MK games is unrealistic, save for some of the graphics. Shooting ice, lightning, decapitating with single punch, teleporting etc. not really realistic is it lol. However, some things should get corrected to look more "realistic" imo, stuff like these just look plain stupid and lazy on authors behalf:

ic2ttf.png

3328gnc.png

Fortunately, MK1 doesn't have Fatality problems like that.

As for mid-air freeze, it looks silly but it shouldn't be changed imo. If you make him fall down it would change gameplay (juggles) and adding pillars to "hold" the opponent in the air would look strange if you want to walk under the frozen opponent to change sides.

I just noticed making these screenshoots that only MK1 uses character shadows during Fatalities:

34y21oi.png

Never knew that.

Last edited:
It's not going to change because in general I see, people don't like change. It happens with pretty much every game discussion. Anybody suggests even a slight change and they get shot down real quick. It has to stay the same for ever, the game will be ruined, it won't be X anymore, etc.

Let's say, sub has the clone in MK3. All of a sudden, you get the idea that it's not like MK2 so it's not sub zero game play any more or is it?

Ice blast doesn't double freeze in MK9 like it used to.

The slide has a combo in MK9, is it now weird or ruined?

I see this a lot in the edits people make with Mugen also, and it seems like a fear of creativity.

I'm reminded of that Bruce Lee quote, goes something like, "Don't focus on the finger, or you'll miss all that Heavenly glory".

We already have a plan for what we are doing, so the point is moot in this case.
No major game play changes, only graphical adjustments and not many at that.

Are expectations for gaming have rapidly evolved in the last 10 yrs. A MK1 remake in HD should only be expected to be upgraded! After 9+ titles, What would be the point of making the an exact replica of MK1 glitches and all? I hated the laggy uppercut then and i hate it now!

Just pretend Microsoft and Midway ect. just got done with there MK9, and decide , lets make our new title MK1 HD and start this back from the begining kind of how they played out the story of MK9, except just "MORTAL KOMBAT". Now wouldnt you expect that game to be a recreation of an origanal game but with all the exceptions of each title graphic progression, why downgrade?

I mean I understand Mugen isn't Microsoft, but as video game players who came up watching the gameplay get more realistic from title to title our expectations can only be expected to be much higher.

As long as they have there origanal (Kostumes) and (moves)< even with the innovations, they'll still be the classic MK chars, Comparetively to lets say MK5 Subzero with his mask off and his ice sword. and if you can focus on realism you might be able to have that match up another 10 yrs down the road! Thanks just my oppinion.

I'm working on Retopology for Cage now, it's nothing really special to show, boring technical work. I made a pouch for Kano's ammo belt also, the knife is still available if anybody want's to make it.

The Zbrush Tools for Johnny Cage, Raiden and Scorpion are in drop box. You can make use of existing parts to speed up the development of new characters. We don't need to start everything from scratch.

Last edited:
hello everyone,
View attachment 4235
View attachment 4236

i just got a few hours to work with liu kang, so started sculpting, as I told you I just use the mouse since I don´t have a tablet soooo, if there´s something you don´t like in this model just tell me, I'll be pleased to change it, I know this is not a big update but i've been too busy. hope you like it

Nice update arq_hawkin, it's looking good so far. My critique is that his upper abs look too sharp, and their shape is a little strange.

Oh, ok. I just thought that I heard his body model would be from MK2 because he has more muscle in that game, but still wear his MK1 clothes.

Right, the reference for his body is from MK2 mainly, because most of the reference is from that game. The costume is from MK1. The body can be adjusted later, I can't make it perfect and there will be changes with critique.

It's not going to change because in general I see, people don't like change. It happens with pretty much every game discussion. Anybody suggests even a slight change and they get shot down real quick. It has to stay the same for ever, the game will be ruined, it won't be X anymore, etc.

Let's say, sub has the clone in MK3. All of a sudden, you get the idea that it's not like MK2 so it's not sub zero game play any more or is it?

Ice blast doesn't double freeze in MK9 like it used to.

The slide has a combo in MK9, is it now weird or ruined?

I see this a lot in the edits people make with Mugen also, and it seems like a fear of creativity.

I'm reminded of that Bruce Lee quote, goes something like, "Don't focus on the finger, or you'll miss all that Heavenly glory".

We already have a plan for what we are doing, so the point is moot in this case.
No major game play changes, only graphical adjustments and not many at that.

Like I've said before, making creative, new things like the falling mid air freeze would be awesome in a "Remix", just not for the "Proper" HD update. I'm all for changing up mechanics, graphics, music, and anything else in a REMIX. At that point we really don't HAVE to do anything we don't want to. No particular guidelines, so free reign to expand MK's pallete to where ever we want. I hope we can do that down the road.